My first Civil War hunt, Relic vets please help.

wv hilljack

Aug 29, 2013
Western, WV
Detector(s) used
XP Deus / Garrett AT Pro,Garrett 5x8, Nel Tornado / Garrett Ace 250
Garrett Pro Pinpointer‎/ Minelab X-terra 705 / Makro pinpointer / Nel Tornado coil / Nokta Fors Core
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is my first Civil War hunt and we were in Bunker Hill, WV. My friend Corey new the land owner and got us permission to hunt the property. Saturday wasn't the best condition to hunt in but it was the only day we could get together and hunt the property. It was flat out pouring the rain down and felt like someone was pouring a pitcher of water down your back. We got out of the car and I walked about 20ft. from the vehicle and found my very first mini ball. Walked another 10ft. an found another. WOW, there was all kind of iron hits, square nails you name it. I found what looks like a Spencer carbine casing in two pieces it's the same size as the one Corey found but his is in pretty decent shape. Here are my finds, I know 2 are Williams Cleaners and I believe the 2 to the left of the Cleaners are .58 cal and the bottom 2 are I believe are Sharps. Please correct me if I am wrong, not sure about the top left one or the last one that's was fired. Is this a Calvary camp? Is any of these relics of time period the horse shoes, wrench, tent peg? The shotgun stamp is Rem-U.M.C. 12ga New Country (1867-1911). These are my finds.
DSC00002.JPG DSC00003.JPG DSC00004.JPG DSC00005.JPG DSC00006.JPG DSC00007.JPG IMG_0254.JPG

These are Corey's finds and his first time use a metal detector. He was using my ATP and did very well for his first hunt. Need help with his coin I believe it faces right and is a large cent the back is very toasted and was used as a necklace because there is a hole in it. (It's very thin.) Any help on it would be appreciated. I used the X Terra 705 with a sandwich baggy on it and the Fors Core for awhile when it stopped raining. Here are Corey's finds. We've already started making plans for the return trip. All these finds were found in about acre of the 21 acres. Enjoy HH!
IMG_0256.JPG IMG_0257.JPG IMG_0258.JPG IMG_0259.JPG IMG_0264.JPG

Upvote 7

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt for your first CW relic hunt. I see a Spencer, some Sharps, some Williams Cleaners, and .58 three ringers among your lead. Bunker Hill sits right on the Valley Turnpike and saw a lot of activity during the Civil War. Jubal Early had his headquarters there in 1864 and a lot of Confederate stuff has been found there. You have all Yankee stuff and by the looks of the fired bullets you may be on a skirmish site.

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice relic and three ringers there.They would have been rushing to the doctor if I tried to hunt in that weather.Thanks for showing e'm to us.

Jason H.

Dec 2, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MXT
The long iron piece to the left of the wrench may be a broken picket pin, which would have been used to hold a horse in place at camp. The Spencer and Sharps bullets are from cavalry carbines, but the other bullets could be from infantrymen. The large cent is hard to make out, but it looks like it might be a Coronet head (early 1800s). Good finds, keep looking around at that spot!

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome finds.!!! Welcome to the CW Relic addiction. Its a mean bug to beat. Looking forward to more post from this site. HH RN

OP
OP
wv hilljack

wv hilljack

Aug 29, 2013
Western, WV
Detector(s) used
Garrett Pro Pinpointer‎/ Minelab X-terra 705 / Makro pinpointer / Nel Tornado coil / Nokta Fors Core
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys I have waiting since for this day and I can't wait to get back. Hopefully dryer weather and maybe next time we can find some buttons. The owner says we can hunt the place as much as we want.

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys I have waiting since for this day and I can't wait to get back. Hopefully dryer weather and maybe next time we can find some buttons. The owner says we can hunt the place as much as we want.

Yep..... You've had it!!!

OP
OP
wv hilljack

wv hilljack

Aug 29, 2013
Western, WV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys I have been waiting since May for this day and I can't wait to get back. Hopefully it will be dryer weather and maybe next time we can find some buttons. The owner says we can hunt the place as much as we want. Here are some more pics of the casing I forgot to add. IMG_0260.JPG IMG_0261.JPG

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread