Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A last dip at the riverside

June 30, 2015 was the last day to detect in Baltimore city parks until Sept 1st.

I left after work and did the drive from Westminster - 140 to 795 to 695 to 83 and got in the slow moving traffic on Lombard over to Light and then smooth sailing down into So. Baltimore. Parking was tight since the O's were playing at Camden yards, so I ended up 4 blocks east of Riverside Park to start a 2 hour hunt.

After a slow start I found a '41 wheat, then an old 30 cal. bullet. Around to the other side of a tree and then a buffalo nickel. Two feet from the first, a second buffalo. Not far away came up a snap button closure by Waterbury Button Co. Now I'm just focusing on this 10 x 10 foot area and staying there for the rest of the time. The other notable finds were a piece of jewelry that may have been a pin, a beautiful three-quarter inch marble that came out with a target, and then there was the brown encrusted glob that looked like it could be a button...

The 'glob' was covered by a tenacious thick layer of oxidized metal and stone grit. I chose to put it through electrolysis. It took about six ten-minute sessions with cleaning to get most of the buildup off. It wasn't long into this process that the eagle and the maker's mark appeared. I have done some research and think this is a match to a Scovill.650 coat button, a general Federal service button ca. 1850 (see Albert GI94 and Tice GEN215A30). It measures between 19 and 20 mm in diameter.

I plan to return to this same area when allowed back in the park at the end of the summer.

wheat_41.jpg bullet_30cal.jpg buffalo_24_35.jpg snap_button.jpg jewelry_unk.jpg marble_pt75in.jpg eagle_button.jpg

Upvote 14

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Good show! Nice finds. I know it will tough to wait until the park reopens. GL&HH.

PS: Both the Buffalos have dates too...nice.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, Tom. Just 62 days to go and other places in Baltimore County that I'd like to check out between now and then.

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good hunt, nice to get such an old button along with the wheats and buffs with dates, im curious though, why do the parks close for 2 months like that?

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
UH OH I SEE YOU GOT A MARYLAND MARBLE ALSO. AS FOR THE REST, NICE....

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
cjon,

I don't know why, but the July/August months are when the parks get the most use for picnics/swimming/recreation, but then there never are many detectorists in a park at one time and we respect people's space, so I don't put much stock is that reasoning. Another thought would be to protect the turf, since it gets hot and dry and at some point and that makes it difficult to dig and harder for the grass to recover; that, I think, is the most compelling reason to close them down for detecting, though I think we should be allowed year round in wooded areas.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Agreed, BFR. Anytime I can come away with some 'oldies', particularly military 19th century...it's 'a good day', as you said.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not that I didn't feel any pressure. Let's see what happens in Sept. when I head back to the 'sweet spot'.

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice bunch of finds.

As a fellow MD'r, I feel your pain. There's a beach I wanted to hit before the deadline but never made it. Hopefully lots of good treasure will be dropped over the next couple o' months.

I've never actually detected in the city before but I was down there about two weeks ago and saw a particular old school that my gut tells me has potential.
the problem is, it's in a terrible neighborhood. Then again, I am half crazy and that usually keeps would be attackers away.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"Don't go near the crazy dude!" He's got to be "nuts" to be detecting here!
Would like to get together for a "sketchy" B'more hunt when you have time...let me know.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread