First Seated, and an Old One Too!

Zakurie84

Jun 24, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250,
Minelab Xterra 705
Primary Interest:
Other
Detecting in Utah, you don't expect to find many older coins. The pioneers who founded the state only came in around 1847, so settlements are typically much newer than that. That is why this find was so exciting!

I wasn't really feeling like knocking on doors today, so I decided to try to find someplace a little "out of the way" to look. Only a half a mile away from my front door is a small park, and having looked at some old aerial photographs of the area, I knew it was at least old enough that I might find something good that someone may have missed. I went out and set up my detector to start, picked a corner that looked promising and was mostly overgrown weeds and dirt. Not 5 steps along a dirt path through these dry, dead weeds I got a strong dime signal on my detector. The depth meter said it was practically on the surface! Initially I thought it was going to be a clad dime, being so close to the surface. I jabbed my trowel into the dirt, and out popped this lady no more than a inch and a half under the dirt! I knew as soon as I saw the rim that it was going to be a old silver, but I had no idea HOW old! 1842, I couldn't believe it!

image1.JPG

This is by far the oldest coin I have found. It's not in the best shape, and is covered in this black residue, but she is beautiful, and a rare one out here!

Upvote 21

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I actually went back, and found a 1878. It was only a few inches down too. The place is so incredibly trashy, that I know if I had a smaller coil I could probably pick up more. I am just hitting it slow, and digging practically everything. Places with coins this old are EXTREMELY rare around here!

I went back to my spot too. So far, only nails and junk. I did the same thing too; I went across the entire place as slow and thoroughly as I possibly could. I originally pulled an 1807 Draped Bust from there and the NJ copper was the second find. The DB was at least 9 inches down but the older coin was just under the surface. These are also my two oldest coins from the same spot.

Like you, I RARELY run across old coins like this so for me it's a pretty big deal.

You just never know how, where and how deep (or not) these things will show up though. It really is amazing sometimes.

I don't have a small coil yet but when I get one you can bet I'll be going back again. My gut is telling me that there is still more treasure lurking down there.

Last edited:

Randyg12

Aug 6, 2014
Northridge, Ca
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, CTX 3030, and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You lucky Dog! :laughing7: I've been detecting since 1999 and I'm still looking for my first. I don't care what shape its in, it looks beautiful to me too! Super find! :notworthy:

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
minelab safari,whites m6, AT Pro, Ace 250 and whites coin master, Garrett AT propointer (garrett carrot), Lesche hand digger, 5x8 & 8.5x11 DD coils for the Pro, Camera is Ion Air Pro 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great job there's more to be found. You'd be suprised the amount of seated out there!

jmastny78

Jun 13, 2014
Three Rivers, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 1000
Awesome job on the seated! I just found my first seated a few days ago, 1837 half dime, and it's one of the best feelings when it reveals itself! Great job and keep it up!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread