1788 Mass Cent, 1739 KG, Farthing, Fancy Dandy Button

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally got out this morning. Been a tough stretch. Found an old cellar hole that I dint know existed. I got a copper coin signal and pulled out a round disc but it had scalloped edges or waves around the perimeter. It turned out to be my 2nd Mass cent. Ac1788 and much nicer than my other one. I couldn't see any detail so I didn't even know if it was a coin. Also dug a kg that was very deep. It was close to the tree coin area and I was really thinking that it might be #2. Perfect 80 signal both ways and easily 10" down. Also found a few buttons. One is iron which is a first. Another is a 4 holer but looks really old. I also found a big domed button that turned into the fanciest gold gilted button I've ever found. Got out briefly last week and found a farthing that's destroyed and a trigger guard which is a first. Thanks for looking guys
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Upvote 34

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Excellent hunt! That old copper Massachusetts cent has some nice detail.

Massieville Mike

Mar 7, 2014
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Garrett AT Gold, Teknetics ETP, Fisher CZ6a, Teknetics T2se
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet, sweet finds Ahab8! Thanks for sharing. I probably will not ever see anything like those come out of the ground around here, seeing how I live in Ohio, so it's really cool to be able to see stuff like that in this forum. Thanks again, and congrats!

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys. Yup I'm happy to have a hand worked coin and the decent detail is a nice bonus. I so thought I was digging up something very old and special with that KGII. It really makes you wonder how deep some of these mid 1600s items could be. I'm pretty sure if the tree coin and cob hadn't been on the top edge of an eroding bank they may have been too deep to find. So much of this hobby is being in the right place at the right time. Luck certainly plays a part in all of this

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love them old coppa's

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a really cool Mass copper Abe and that ornate button is impressive. Get out there and find more!

Mi$terG

Jan 25, 2013
Eastern MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Fantastic finds, Abe. Love that Mass copper. I know for sure that one day I will read one of your posts and you will have found tree coin #2. Best of Luck.
Geoff

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Once again, another fantastic hunt Abe! :occasion14:
Thankfully the date side of your Mass Penny is in great shape. It's very unusual to see the 'scalloping' detail on the edge, I think it makes it that much more personal.

The button with the gilt is just beautiful man, congrats! :notworthy:
Dave

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds Abe. Strange that someone would take the time to crimp the edge of a coin like that. Definitely gives it a unique look though. I'd be pretty psyched with a find like that. Congrats brother!

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Killer stuff..... again. Congrats Brother.

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds- A history lesson every time!

-- Jeff --

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OMG, well congrats! ...now I will hang my head and cry.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks guys. Yup I'm happy to have a hand worked coin and the decent detail is a nice bonus. I so thought I was digging up something very old and special with that KGII. It really makes you wonder how deep some of these mid 1600s items could be. I'm pretty sure if the tree coin and cob hadn't been on the top edge of an eroding bank they may have been too deep to find. So much of this hobby is being in the right place at the right time. Luck certainly plays a part in all of this

Agreed. One time I chased down my son who ran off, detected where I caught him, and found a '03 barber half.

Anyway, that Mass cent is unique with unreal character. Best Mass cent I've seen! Congrats Abe

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
YES MR.GREGORY PECK IM BACK AND WHAT MESS OF FINDS DO HAVE POSTED NOW . DANG SO THATS A MASS CENT YOU SAY , PRETTY NEAT FROG LEG EAGLE ON IT AND I BET THAT THING WILL REALLY LOOK NICE ONCE CLEAN . ALSO THE THIMBLE IS THAT SILVER ? THE BUTTON HAS A NEAT DESIGN AND ALL IN ALL GOOD DAYS FINDS.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
YES MR.GREGORY PECK IM BACK AND WHAT MESS OF FINDS DO HAVE POSTED NOW . DANG SO THATS A MASS CENT YOU SAY , PRETTY NEAT FROG LEG EAGLE ON IT AND I BET THAT THING WILL REALLY LOOK NICE ONCE CLEAN . ALSO THE THIMBLE IS THAT SILVER ? THE BUTTON HAS A NEAT DESIGN AND ALL IN ALL GOOD DAYS FINDS.

YeaAAHHHHHHHH SUTPHIN!!!!! Good TO SEE YOU BACK BROTHER.

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just made my day brother! Glad you didn't cave to the whiners

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Love the Mass copper. Must have been very high grade when lost.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, what a great bunch of finds, Abe. I'm glad that the Mass. copper with that unique edge is also in such great condition, and the button is cool as all get out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread