1788 Mass Cent, 1739 KG, Farthing, Fancy Dandy Button

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally got out this morning. Been a tough stretch. Found an old cellar hole that I dint know existed. I got a copper coin signal and pulled out a round disc but it had scalloped edges or waves around the perimeter. It turned out to be my 2nd Mass cent. Ac1788 and much nicer than my other one. I couldn't see any detail so I didn't even know if it was a coin. Also dug a kg that was very deep. It was close to the tree coin area and I was really thinking that it might be #2. Perfect 80 signal both ways and easily 10" down. Also found a few buttons. One is iron which is a first. Another is a 4 holer but looks really old. I also found a big domed button that turned into the fanciest gold gilted button I've ever found. Got out briefly last week and found a farthing that's destroyed and a trigger guard which is a first. Thanks for looking guys
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Upvote 34

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every time I see your name on a post, I know there's going to be some interesting finds.

Nice digs.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the Mass copper Abe, what great detail on it still. The gold domed button is really nice, great assortment of inlay details on it. Just was reading a bit on the varieties of Mass cents.Massachusetts Coppers: Introduction

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Abe, congrats!

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job on the Mass cent, I don't think ive ever seen one of those before!

very cool design
CONGRATS!

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Guess we know where your going to be spending some time. Awesome finds!!!! :notworthy:

wv hilljack

Aug 29, 2013
Western, WV
Detector(s) used
XP Deus / Garrett AT Pro,Garrett 5x8, Nel Tornado / Garrett Ace 250
Garrett Pro Pinpointer‎/ Minelab X-terra 705 / Makro pinpointer / Nel Tornado coil / Nokta Fors Core
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful, Thanks for sharing all that history. Things that some of would never see.

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow Ahab... The Mass cent is so awesome!!! :)

GioTheGreek

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hades
Detector(s) used
XP DÉUS, Minelab E-TRAC, Pro-Pointer, Hawk-like Vision, Receding Hairline
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That Mass copper is a beautiful coin. You don't see too many of those posted. Great finds! :)

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW! Now that is an excellent find!!! Congrats again!!!!

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love that old copper, Sweet Mass cent!! Nice pile of flatbuttons too.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Super nice finds Ahab! Was the scalloping of the edge done Post-Minting? I ask because it has the appearance of being hand done and I can find no reference to a 1788 Massachusetts Cent with a scalloped edge!

Frank

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super nice finds Ahab! Was the scalloping of the edge done Post-Minting? I ask because it has the appearance of being hand done and I can find no reference to a 1788 Massachusetts Cent with a scalloped edge!

Frank
That my belief Frank. I don't believe that would have been done at the mint. But it amazes me that people did these things with such precision. It's really quite impressive. I love the unique stuff like this

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
That my belief Frank. I don't believe that would have been done at the mint. But it amazes me that people did these things with such precision. It's really quite impressive. I love the unique stuff like this

Considering you found it at an old cellar hole site, the person who did the scalloping was likely snowed in and had cabin fever. The things that folks have done or will do when they are bored with nothing else to do always amazes us! LOL!!

Frank

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice Abe. Those wavy edges threw me off when you texted them to me, but I'm glad you got a super solid ID. As always you wowed me with another button. That one gold tilted one is awesome.

Nice show!

creade

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
n.h.
Detector(s) used
DEUS,root slayer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That mass cent is great:headbang: What a cool design:thumbsup: great relics, love the trigger guard:rocks:

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, a Mass. copper is about as close as you can get to Mass. silver. I'm sure that signal really had you excited, and although that's a unique, cool looking coin, I know you were disappointed. Still a good hunt regardless. Thanks for the heads-up pics.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread