Awesom 4th of July find, & its dated 1776 !

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What are the odds of this one ? I have been pounding a lot where an old schoolhouse sat from 1875 to 1950'ish. So far I have pulled a Franklin Half, Barber Half, Barber Dime, Seated Quarter, 2 Large Cents, a dozen wheats, & an 1893 Worlds Fair Badge. Now today along comes this Award Medal. The bar says " Award for Highest Average". The Bell is a " Liberty Bell Medal 1776 awarded for proficiency in scholarship & deportment" issued by Morris Selz. It is actually called a Morris Selz Award. It even has a crack on the front, like the real Liberty Bell. I was detecting in an area when I got a great repeatable signal from my Minelab. The numbers were not that good, but it was a good mid tone, so that means I am digging. I dug the item, & saw it was shaped like a bell, so I am thinking I just pulled an old County Dog Tax Tag. It was full of dirt so into the pouch it went. I continued on about 4 ft. further, & dug the bar hanger. It was also full of dirt but I could see some letters on it so into the pouch it went. As I still think I have a dog tax tag, I did not even make a connection of these two items belonging together. When I got home, I cleaned the bar hanger first. I even told my wife, " I wish I could have found the medal that was hanging on this". I then washed off the Bell shaped item to find out that it was not a dog tag. As I am reading the wording to my wife, she hops on google, types in Morris Selz & brings me the pictures of this Liberty Bell with it attached to the bar hanger that I had found 4 ft. away ! If this is not crazy enough, what are the odds that I dig a Liberty Bell Medal with the date 1776 on it on this 4th of July 2015 ! Needless to say, I did go out & buy a few Lotto tickets this afternoon. I also found a 1950 Washington Quarter, 1916 & 1930 Wheats that are not pictured. The finds are starting to dwindle at this place, but this one will be one of my most memorable.

Attachments

• IMG_6666.JPG
    IMG_6666.JPG
    754.4 KB · Views: 152
Upvote 15

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Congrats! :occasion16::wav::occasion16:

This is one of the grooviest hunting days I've heard about! Odds against your finding it on July 4th are probably huge. Wow! Andi

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
TREAZ THATS A PRETTY NEAT FIND.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread