First ever hunt with new at pro.

altereddezignz

Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well back in from my first ever yard hunt. My own yard that is. I must practice somewhere right? Anyways here we go. This is about an hour or so. 1972 dime. 1949 one cent priece. 1971,69,64,80,85 pennies a round knockout tab and a wire end. Not to bad I don't think. I'll post images a little later bc I can't get them to upload from iPhone 6 plus for some reason.

Upvote 9

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Good job! I found 2 gold rings, 1 silver & turquoise ring, 1 buffalo nickel, 1 Mercury dime, 1 Rosevelt dime and several wheat pennies in my back yard!
The backyard is an awesome place to begin your hunts and are quite often target rich and unhunted!
Best of luck with your new AT Pro!

Massieville Mike

Mar 7, 2014
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Garrett AT Gold, Teknetics ETP, Fisher CZ6a, Teknetics T2se
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like you're off to a good start, dig on mister! Happy hunting, Mike

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Altereddezignz,

Looks like you had a good first hunt! More practice and better locations will open up the beauty of the AT Pro.

Regards,

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I think most of us started out hunting our own yards. Its a great place to detect and digging holes. Can't wait to see your future finds.

jmastny78

Jun 13, 2014
Three Rivers, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 1000
I got my ATP this year and absolutely love it! I'm hitting things I never knew where there in places I've been over tons of times! Good first hunt and can't wait to see what other goodies you pull outta the ground! HH

OP
OP
A

altereddezignz

Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was told for my first hunt to run on pro coin mode with iron audio off and iron disc at 40. This would help me with learning how coins read and so on without the metal. I would pass on some gold and silver rings and such. My back yard has a lot of berried metal like buckets and nails. I think the dug holes and just berried all the extra stuff from when the house was build in like 69. So im gonna do some more swinging in pro zero mode later. I also have a side walk that runs the last 10 ft of my yard that actually separates my yard so wanna search there.
Also anyone have a good way to hunt around sidewalks that have re-bar in them?

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Glad to here that you got out today with the new machine. :thumbsup: My house was built in the late 70's, I only pulled $1.07 out of my yard. Hope to see some pics of your future finds. You better watch out, this hobby can become an obsession...

OP
OP
A

altereddezignz

Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad to here that you got out today with the new machine. :thumbsup: My house was built in the late 70's, I only pulled $1.07 out of my yard. Hope to see some pics of your future finds. You better watch out, this hobby can become an obsession...

Well I hoping to maybe find some places to go later this week or weekend since I have the machine n hand and can go. I enjoy it but man it's hot here today lol. I got up while it was cool and really early. I did manage to make a custom mount on the shaft of the detector to hold my Garrett ponpointer at. Made it out of a microphone holder. Works like a champ just need to find some easy plastic clasps so I can make a teather to attach it so it does not get lost without setting the pin pointer of like the little metal clasps do.

Thanks again for all the help and information on getting started. Now if I could just find the post where someone listed the range of what items id where haha. So much to learn but I like knowledge. Any other tools or accessories anyone thinks I might invest in. Have a t handle differ and a small differ. Ponpointer. A satchel for finds. Would like o do something different on the headphones the big over the ear are simply uncomfortable to me.

I really want a set of the grey ghosts bc they are waterproof but I would only use them when needed. I plan on hunting in the rain :).

Anyways any thoughts would be great. I look forward to finding my treasure.

Ps as of right now I'm at .62 cents out of my back yard hunting on coin only mode.

Thanks and sorry so long of a post.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
YEAH I STARTED THERE ALSO UNTIL NEIGHBOR COMPLAIN THAT MY YARD LOOK LIKE A CEMETERY . FUNNY THING I NOTICED I WOULD COVER HOLES UP AND THE NEXT MORNING THEY WOULD BE OPEN AGAIN .SAT BY THE WINDOW AND WATCHED THE DANG SQWAAAAARULS OPEN THEM UP. GOOD LUCK ZIGNZS.

OP
OP
A

altereddezignz

Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
YEAH I STARTED THERE ALSO UNTIL NEIGHBOR COMPLAIN THAT MY YARD LOOK LIKE A CEMETERY . FUNNY THING I NOTICED I WOULD COVER HOLES UP AND THE NEXT MORNING THEY WOULD BE OPEN AGAIN .SAT BY THE WINDOW AND WATCHED THE DANG SQWAAAAARULS OPEN THEM UP. GOOD LUCK ZIGNZS.

Well I've got the house digging down to an art. Honestly u can't tell lol.

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last year when I was using a AT Pro I ran in pro zero , iron disc at 35 , sensitivity down 2 bars from max . Swing slow and dig any solid repeatable signals above 50 . Till you start to know what the machine is telling you. After a year of swinging a Etrac my numbers are a little rusty but a solid 52-53 is a nickel 99% of the time . I always called the 55- 70s my you never know zone . Pennies 76-80 , dimes 80-84, quarters 85-88 ,halves and dollars 90+ . And silver is generally 82+ . Like I said my AT numbers are a little rusty but that should be pretty close

OP
OP
A

altereddezignz

Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last year when I was using a AT Pro I ran in pro zero , iron disc at 35 , sensitivity down 2 bars from max . Swing slow and dig any solid repeatable signals above 50 . Till you start to know what the machine is telling you. After a year of swinging a Etrac my numbers are a little rusty but a solid 52-53 is a nickel 99% of the time . I always called the 55- 70s my you never know zone . Pennies 76-80 , dimes 80-84, quarters 85-88 ,halves and dollars 90+ . And silver is generally 82+ . Like I said my AT numbers are a little rusty but that should be pretty close

Thank you very much for the info.

dburch6

Jun 13, 2015
southern indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Whites Coinmaster Gt
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ordered my AT Pro yesterday. Hopefully the yard isn't too hunted out for me to practice with it:laughing7:

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are off to a good start. I find alot of stuff with my battle damaged ATPro. As for rebar sidewalks, etc..., just swing next to the edge and listen for the minute differences when you hit a target near the rebar. Practice will teach you what to listen for. I run my machine wide open (Pro zero, 40 iron, full sensitivity, ground balanced) and fill my pouch every time. I do go through the batteries but finding the goods makes that worth while. Remember, we try not to "dig holes," rather, pinpoint your target, cut a "V" flap, lift it up, remove your target, press down the flap and make it look like we were never there. Sub 8-)

JerseyDigger19

Apr 20, 2015
West Orange, NJ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
With my AT Pro here's a rough breakdown of how the numbers stack out: Gold (I've never found some but tested my ring) 46-52. Shallow nickel is usually 52-53 but that could be pull tabs, foil or can slaw too. Deeper nickel can be 50 to the low 70's depending on oxidation. Shallow mid to high 50's to mid 60's is almost always a pull tab (don't dig). Indian head penny is 65-72. Zinc Lincoln is usually 73-75 but could be a bit lower if deeper or broken. Copper penny is usually 77 to 81. Shallow clad dime is 80-82. Silver dime is usually 80 to 84. Shallow clad quarter is almost always 86 or 87, and an 86 or 87 is almost always a quarter. A shallow coin sized (or slightly bigger) 84 or 85 is the "fun zone", this is almost always not just a single coin, it can be either a pocket spill (with at least one quarter), a mid to large silver ring, or a larger brass or bronze token. Halves are very rare to find but the two I've dug were 88-89. Anything over 90 is usually junk either big iron, a big can, or a big piece of brass. Deeper copper and silver coins may have more intermittent signals, sometimes alternating between a soft mid tone and a soft high tone, always dig these especially in older areas since they are most likely out of "pull tab" range. Hope that helps!

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

altereddezignz

Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW. Thank you guys so much for the information. I am going to try my luck pro Zero mode in the next couple days if i get to get back out and swing a little.

OP
OP
A

altereddezignz

Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally able to get pictures to upload. For some reason kept giving me an error phone my phone but worked from computer.

IMG_4305.JPG IMG_4306.JPG IMG_4307.JPG

muddpuppy

Jun 20, 2011
Central Ohio
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
46Wheat is right on. I went out in my yard when I got mine and scored an Indian, mercury and a wheat in a short hunt and I had beat it up prior with my old detector. Those are the numbers I use. You can go back to all the prior places and continue to score. Good Luck. Keep Swinging!! Dig Hard or Go Home!!

OP
OP
A

altereddezignz

Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stupid question b/c i am really not sure but is my 1949 one cent piece a wheat?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread