Shipwreck and Treasure From the East River!

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got up early today to take advantage of the extra-low tide and use it to do some coastal exploring. I found an area on the map that I had never visited before and figured I'd give it a shot. What I found was what we all dream of - shipwrecks and not to far from them - an algae covered sack full of glistening treasure! Best part is I had my camera and documented everything!

A wrecked ship, possibly a fishing vessel. The hull is fiberglass while most of the deck and pilot house is made of wood clad in thick copper paneling:
20150707_112300 2.jpg 20150707_112452.jpg

Not to far away was this huge chunk of metal:
Anyone recognize it? It's a steam ship boiler! Piece of technology from a bygone era!
20150707_113308 2.jpg

A wrecked sailboat. It was named "Tranquility". Still had alot of junk inside it:
20150707_112629.jpg 20150707_112650.jpg
20150707_112706.jpg 20150707_112736.jpg

I was just looking for wrecked ships today, not really looking for treasure. But guess I have a curse that just forces to me to find treasure even if I'm not really looking for it.
Not too far from the two wrecks a shiny glint in the sand catches my eye. I investigate and this is what I find. A disintegrating red bag beginning to spill its contents into the surf.
Judging from the algae I estimated it to have been in the water for at least 3 months:
20150707_120110.jpg

After I opened the bag I discovered it was choked completely full of jewelry! Talk about a childhood fantasy come true!
(those are my sunglasses on he rock behind the loot bag, I was so shocked that I almost forgot them there):
20150707_120534 2.jpg

Video of the find as it unfolded:

Video of me sorting through the treasure and finding the sterling silver locket:

At home I sorted more thoroughly and this was the result, 5 pieces of precious jewelry. Note the sterling stamp on locket and the hoop earring:
20150707_142223 2.jpg
20150707_142213 2.jpg
20150707_142122  2.jpg

Marked .925, these matching earnings are of a very high quality. Update: Just confirmed the stones are diamonds and amethysts:
20150707_142344 2.jpg 20150707_142450 2.jpg

The unfinished ring still in its raw form, unpolished, and still retaining its casting sprue. It has places for three stones.
(Update: Just confirmed the ring is 3.0 grams of 18K gold!):
20150707_142533 2.jpg

Some of the higher quality jewelry including a Bulova watch and some yet-to-be-tested silver necklaces:
20150707_155005 2.jpg

Some of the more junky jewelry:
20150707_141933 2.jpg

In the end I discovered three sterling silver earrings, a sterling locket, and an unfinished engagement ring, still in the rough, likely some type of gold (Update: Just confirmed it is 3.0 grams of 18K gold! Now I just need to polish it to bring out its true golden luster!). Preliminary acid tests confirm it is neither base metal nor silver. The fact that along with the sterling items it was one of the only other things that did not rust or corrode supports my theory that it's either a gold or platinum alloy. Most other things in the hoard were of little value having corroded and disintegrated from being in the salt water for so long.

After returning home from the shore I visited the dump for a few minutes to see if I could find anymore treasures, but it appears my luck ran out for the day. :laughing7:

Last edited:
Upvote 22

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's very cool. (somebody's cat burglar bag)

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow!, I don't know how you do it but man you always manage some cool stuff!!!

OP
OP
UnderMiner

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's very cool. (somebody's cat burglar bag)

Not necessarily. There's a community of Hindus that live in this area who believe throwing trinkets and offerings into the river is good fortune.
It's certainly good fortune for me, so I have nothing against it. :D

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd have to dial 911 a minute or two after I found that treasure. I know my wife might be a little more motivated to let me hunt more if I brought that home. Congrats on that haul :notworthy:

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
MINER , MINER THE JEWELRY FINDER.THIS IS AN OVER THE TOP COLLECTION .

OP
OP
UnderMiner

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd have to dial 911 a minute or two after I found that treasure. I know my wife might be a little more motivated to let me hunt more if I brought that home. Congrats on that haul :notworthy:

The one time I did sort of contact the authorities over something I found was way back in the year 1999. I was about 8 1/2 years old when I found a fireman's wallet complete with badge, all his I.D. cards, and interestingly a laminated four leaf clover (found on the shore at low tide of course). I showed the wallet to my dad and told him we had to find the fireman so we could return it. Long story short we contacted the firehouse and I got to return the wallet to the fireman in person. I became good friends with that fireman and he let me explore the firehouse and climb all over the trucks (every little kid's dream I guess). The fireman told me it must have been the luck of the clover that allowed me to find the wallet and return it to him. I like to think that a little bit of that luck rubbed off on me. :D

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After seeing all the curbside treasures you find and the dump treasure , I think your name should be Urban Miner ! You just
continue to amaze me man .

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh man that was a very cool find. I would be pumped up seeing that on the shore. You did good and got some great treasure out of it.
I like the eye ball find!
HH

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow! :o Amazing jewelry finds bud and without a detector too! :notworthy:

Sometimes all it takes is going for a walk and keeping your eyes on the ground! :thumbsup:

Dave

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Underminer...

You kill me man.
I am now actually waiting for your threads.

heh

OP
OP
UnderMiner

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whats the odds a fisherman did not find it .

Fisherman usually go out on the high tide. Even at super low tide this bag of treasure was just barely exposed. So unless someone went digging for clams specifically on a super low tide day nobody would have found this for a long time. And if the bag had disintegrated for just another few days the treasure may have become scattered by the waves and lost forever. A very lucky find indeed. :4leafclover::icon_pirat:

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What beautiful pics and a wonderful save, Congrats! Now for my real reaction..... HOLY SH>> Why not just become an explorer.

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow...now that looks like loads of fun and something I dreamed about as a kid (the big kid now too!lol) Now you can say you found some real shipwrecks and some of their booty. Who needs detectors with finds like that? ;)

texjim

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2009
schuylkill county pa.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites xlt,vx3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the tide was still low i would go back with a detector and give it a few good sweeps to see what or if anything else was there. Awesome finds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread