Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Didn't do much treasure hunting today.
Decided instead to hit the curbs later in the evening in a neighborhood that was having a garbage day.
Found among other things this 103-year-old tennis racket made by A.G. Spalding & Bros.
From my reserch this particular racket is pretty rare and expensive even in a damaged form.
20150709_211201.jpg 20150709_211631.jpg

The patent date stamp, Feb. 20th 12':
(For perspective the Titanic's maiden voyage wouldn't be for another 2 months.)
20150709_211659.jpg

The old Spalding logo:
20150709_211644.jpg

The original owner's name:
20150709_211216.jpg

Some other junk I saw at the curb. Very rare to see electronics at the curb nowadays as it's no longer legal.
In this pile there was (from top to bottom) a portable DVD player, a clock radio, VCR, DVD player, and an X-Box with all its cables:
(Talk about a throw-away-society)
20150709_193936.jpg

Upvote 6

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice racquet! What's that worth? I saw some vintage racquets here in NJ the other day in the trash...didn't dawn on me to grab them. Did you at least grab that Xbox?

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
King Edward VII Died in 1910 - So perhaps "Georgian" would be appropriate here . Nice Save !
(The problem with all these saves is that your home is going to resemble the set from Sanford and
Sons before too long )

Last edited:
OP
OP
UnderMiner

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
King Edward VII Died in 1910 - So perhaps "Georgian" would be appropriate here . Nice Save !
(The problem with all these saves is that your home is going to resemble the set from Sanford and
Sons before too long )

Technically he died in 1910 but because the traditions of the age lived on for some time afterwards text books and historians alike tend to mark the end of the era as 1914 when WWI broke out and the traditions ended.
Some interesting info on Edwardian Era: The Edwardian Era - Edwardian Promenade | Edwardian Promenade

Also surprisingly my house is extremely neat, it's the garage that's something of a mess, but I have garage sales out of there every few weeks so it's always getting empty and full all the time.
Surly one racket can't cause too much of a mess. (I didn't take that whole pile of electronics if you were wondering). :laughing7:

OP
OP
UnderMiner

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice racquet! What's that worth? I saw some vintage racquets here in NJ the other day in the trash...didn't dawn on me to grab them. Did you at least grab that Xbox?

The X-box was the only thing I took as the portable DVD player didn't have a cord and the other junk was just too outdated to be worth anything.

The racket is a very rare model. Here is the same model someone currently has listed on ebay for $125:
Antique A G Spalding Wood Tennis Racquet Circa 1912 RARE Model "F" All Comers | eBay

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sanford and Son! That made me LOL :laughing7: ..... luv it! My wife accuses me of making our house look like that -- I'm a collector! :occasion14:

Sons before too long )

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
LOVE 30 , FAULT, 15 LOVE. COOL MINER THE CURB SIDE FINDER.

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What you find on the side of the street continues to amaze me

Top Member Reactions