New to the sport, first weeks finds... what fun!

Rustic

Jul 10, 2015
western MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
New to the sport, first week's finds... what fun!

Hi all, just bought a Garrett Ace 250 a week ago to try out metal detecting (I always see guys in springtime metal detecting the corn fields when I'm out for a walk). It is really fun, and addictive so far. I live in an old house in western Massachusetts and have been searching my own yard (and learning to dig neat, clean, holes) to try to understand the pings my detector makes, and what they mean. So, I made a few nice finds, so far, along with a bucketful of old rusty nails, lol.
IMG_20150704_111646.jpg
IMG_20150703_085140.jpg I have found 3 Indian head pennies so far, but I especially love the thimble. I hope to make many more such finds to share.

Upvote 10

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to T-Net and to the obsession.

Nice to hear your practicing on your own property. You should dig all targets for now. I hope your not discriminating out more than iron and foil. If you are you will miss some good finds.

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the obsession!!! There is no cure and it appears your already on your way!!!!:occasion14:

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great start to the hobby!!

That thimble looks silver to me, something I'd love to find. The IH is I great shape too.

bentdiggin

Dec 17, 2013
Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
White's Spectrum xlt
Bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good coin. The thimble does appear to be silver. Hope you wife is an understanding woman. Addiction is an illness. Congrats and good luck.

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great start there for you.Thimble looks to be silver,and I like that old car too. With three indian head pennies found now,silver coins are on their way. KEEP AT IT.

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sheesh!, old toys, Indians and silver thimbles, yeah id say that's an amazing introduction into the hobby!

congrats!

OP
OP
Rustic

Rustic

Jul 10, 2015
western MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you for your kind welcomes and advice (I need all I can get). Loco, I have been detecting in all-metal mode, without discriminating anything. It is hard to know what to NOT dig, though. Like I say, I have dug a lot of rusty nails this week, and some of the nails sounded a nice high tone... the yard is wall to wall nails, apparently, and they are old, old nails which are tricking my detector into thinking they are something better than they are. I'll get better at it with time, I suppose. Good luck to all!

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well you live in one heck of a historic state!, keep at it!, im sure theres plenty more to come!!1

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the fun ! You're off to a great start already - I like all those finds ! The silver thimble is a prize or sure ,
hey- I've been detecting ten years now and haven't found an Indian Head cent !

OP
OP
Rustic

Rustic

Jul 10, 2015
western MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you all, for your encouragement. I love this sport so much already!

apenney

Jul 12, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all, for your encouragement. I love this sport so much already!

Doing better than me in the yard (Central MA), all I've found is a ton of nails and small bits of toy cars! I haven't ventured further afield yet, just been practicing digging holes as well.

weasel606

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2007
West Virginia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70 ,Bounty Hunter Landstar, Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds i really like that thimble to :thumbsup: congrats :occasion14:

OP
OP
Rustic

Rustic

Jul 10, 2015
western MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know what you mean. Some of my first holes were monstrosities of turf-destroying excavation. I'm getting quite good at it now, though, and you can't even tell where I've been digging.

I found the toy truck at the base of the really old, big, rotted out locust stump next to the driveway, and the thimble was 5 inches down right next to the path to the side door....

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you using a pinpointer yet? I started in my yard without one a few years back and my back yard looked like land mines exploded. The pinpointer helped tremendously!

david680

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2014
Salem, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for your kind welcomes and advice (I need all I can get). Loco, I have been detecting in all-metal mode, without discriminating anything. It is hard to know what to NOT dig, though. Like I say, I have dug a lot of rusty nails this week, and some of the nails sounded a nice high tone... the yard is wall to wall nails, apparently, and they are old, old nails which are tricking my detector into thinking they are something better than they are. I'll get better at it with time, I suppose. Good luck to all!

Move up to a more expensive detector. One that will still get tricked by old rusty nails. And then one of those "old rusty nail" signals ends up being a Barber dime. It happens. Great finds starting out!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread