Civil War Cavalry Brass (weekend Hunt)

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Summer is always very busy, however I am always looking for an opportunity to dig, the last one coming 3 months ago. My birthday was last week and my wife decided we needed a family trip so we headed out to a small town near one of my digging sites. My 6 year old son Jackson and I spent a good part of Saturday exploring and stumbled into a small Cavalry firepit. The pit was loaded with nails and glass which is a good sign, however we usually find buttons, not bit bosses. Anyway, it was a pleasant surprise to see some unique brass surface. The homemade Iron star was mixed in with the other finds. I would like to believe some Texas trooper made it for his hat or uniform, however we will never know. The spencer cartridge also came to light in perfect condition and is quite rare for this site. The next day my wife and daughter Savannah drove with us to the site for lunch and another bit boss surfaced in the very short time I spent scraping around. Never too early to pass the passion on to the next generation I suppose. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• IMG_3584a.jpg
    IMG_3584a.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_3565a.jpg
    IMG_3565a.jpg
    256.9 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_3562a.jpg
    IMG_3562a.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_3547a.jpg
    IMG_3547a.jpg
    297.3 KB · Views: 115
Upvote 18

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome! Everything looks like it is in great shape. Had to be fun to share that with the kids. I'd definitely hit that spot hard.

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome stuff :icon_thumright:

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Family vacation.......taking every opportunity to dig a fire pit[emoji3]. Great finds as usual Evan especially the star and whole Spencer. Looks like the little squirts enjoyed themselves too!

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK for us non-CW hunters, question: what are the tell-tale signs that you've stumbled onto a CW firepit? Can you tell by eye? I assume the bit boss is the US item as there are two but I don't know what a bit boss is really as I have never dug one. I have dug and open work bridle boss and I'm not sure I even know how that was used. What state are you digging in here? Texas? Thanks for any info.

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, An entire Spencer Cartridge is a rare find indeed, The U.S. bits are also awesome Looks like those kids had a lot of fun also.Start e'm hunting too.

OP
OP
metalev4

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
The bit bosses are decorative brass that adorn each side of the 1859 or 1863 Cavalry Bridle Bit. They had 2 brass rivets attaching them to the bit and for some reason they seem to fall off. The consistency of the dirt in a firepit is different due to the high ash content. Usually lighter and softer. I can tell more by feel than by sight. Also a firepit usually has some small pieces of charcoal, melted glass, and nails. Seems they burned crates which were made with lots of square nails.

OK for us non-CW hunters, question: what are the tell-tale signs that you've stumbled onto a CW firepit? Can you tell by eye? I assume the bit boss is the US item as there are two but I don't know what a bit boss is really as I have never dug one. I have dug and open work bridle boss and I'm not sure I even know how that was used. What state are you digging in here? Texas? Thanks for any info.

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The bit bosses are decorative brass that adorn each side of the 1859 or 1863 Cavalry Bridle Bit. They had 2 brass rivets attaching them to the bit and for some reason they seem to fall off. The consistency of the dirt in a firepit is different due to the high ash content. Usually lighter and softer. I can tell more by feel than by sight. Also a firepit usually has some small pieces of charcoal, melted glass, and nails. Seems they burned crates which were made with lots of square nails.

Thanks for the reply. That's cool. Do you recover the square nails too? Or is that a low value target? I'm assuming this was a US Calvary camp in Texas??

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
METAL EV THAT IS A NICE COLLECTION OF RELICS . THE BRIDLE BOSS AND THE STAR IS REALLY A NEAT FIND AND THE SPENCER ALSO. GOT YOU SOME FUTURE HUNTERS I SEE .

Jacobsdt

Jan 9, 2012
VA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Fisher F75 ltd, Garrett Pro Pointer and a little luck
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those are some awesome finds.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other

Erik - here's a pic of one of these US bosses mounted on a bridal bit. Might help you visualize how they were used.

bit boss pic.JPG

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Evan - I know you're used to digging a lot more in the way of quantity, but you traded that off for some great quality time with the kids. Can't believe how big they are! When you go back to that site next month I'm expecting a huge pile of relics.

OP
OP
metalev4

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Thanks for posting that picture Bill. Hopefully the remainder of the bit is in the firepit. I will dig the rest of it out next month. Thanks for all the nice comments, great to be digging again.
-Evan

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Evan. nice to get the family involved and have some success. I know you would have liked to find some glass, but you did well with the bit bosses and the star.

N.O. noir et d'or

Dec 9, 2012
New Orleans
Detector(s) used
White's Dfx 300, Fisher CZ20, Garrett ATX, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Those bit bosses look amazing, but the pic of the kids is too precious for words!

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I learn something every time I log into this forum

CASPER-2