Coins handed down

hostagedk

Feb 12, 2014
PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
let me start with this, I have been doing metal detecting for the past 3 years now and I am obviously now addicted. I just recently started getting into the whole CRH as well as a side thing beyond metal detecting.

Last week I was called in from a family member to do some landscape work and I mentioned about doing some metal detecting around there property and told them also that I started collecting coins as a side hobby. With this being said, she mentioned she had quite a large coin collection herself and asked if I wanted to take a look. We went into her house and she pulls this suite case out from under her bed and opens it up. TONS I mean TONS of coins! She said she's been collecting since she was out of high school as a hobby of her own but once she reached a certain age she began to get lazy and gave up.

Anyways, after talking for several hours she asked if I wanted them if anything happened to her and asked if I would take care of them and pass them down to my son. I said most certainly I would as that's another reason I started collecting myself.

Here is a picture I had taken from just a handful of mercs I found within 2-3 minutes on top of all the other coins in this suite case. Trust me this isn't even close to any of it.

20150722_194356.jpg

Upvote 4

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow , Now that you've teased the heck out of us , can you give us some idea of the extent / variety of what is involved here ?

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whoa..........be sure to give regular attention to that plot of ground!!!!

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
:hello2: Yours is a heartwarming story! :hello2: My Mom & Dad had a nice small coin collection which they handed down to us four daughters. My share will be passed on to my grown kids & grandsons. I've already given their silver Peace Dollar to my son & detecting pal because a couple years ago I'd eyeballed a dusty surface Peace Dollar for myself one day when walking around an old field waiting to meet up with him - no detector needed for that surprise find! My dad had to turn in a small gold-coin collection way back when the federal government made everyone turn theirs in. But I guess some people didn't turn in their gold, & I don't know what decade that was. Happy Hunting! Andi

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice to hear of people that share the wealth to others in their family .I would like to see some more of her collection posted.

OP
OP
hostagedk

hostagedk

Feb 12, 2014
PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I get a chance to get back to her place i'll try to take some other photos if she doesn't mind. I remember one other thing she had a good amount of was the Morgan dollars and a few Barber halves.

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow, very interesting, did she give you the coins?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread