🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I haven't been out detecting much in the last month due to work, vacations and my primary site being inaccessible. On Friday I noticed that another site of mine had opened up and I was dying to get out for a bit. Got in a total of 4 hours between yesterday and today, and managed to make some cool finds.

The lamp collar is dated 1863. Dug 2 tombac buttons and 4 flat buttons. One of the tombac's looks like it was part of a 2 piece button and I'm missing the front. I didn't know there were 2 piece tombac buttons. I also eyeballed a 5/64th pipe stem (1720-1750) and a few oyster shells. Also got the bottom half of a broken stirrup.

IMG_20150802_081046050_HDR.jpg IMG_20150802_081105443_HDR.jpg
IMG_20150802_081037122_HDR.jpg IMG_20150802_081024626.jpg

Somehow, I have never dug a fatty Indian... Not sure how that's happened, but I seem to dig lots of Large Cents and Indians... and even a flying eagle , but never a fatty Indian. I get a nice hit and I'm expecting another button... I dig a plug and have a chunk of dirt with the target. Its rock hard clay, and I break it in half to see a FAT green coin edge and think "FINALLY, A fatty indian head"... pull it out of the clump and then see the eagle. I was excited and let down all at the same time. :dontknow: That's the second flying eagle I have dug about 20 years apart... but I'm still on the hunt for the fat indian head

IMG_20150802_081659065_HDR.jpg IMG_20150802_081730035_HDR.jpg

My auction finds: I also got two non-dug finds yesterday at a local auction. I noticed the sterling thimble and sterling pencil mixed in a ziplock bag of junk, in a box of junk! Got the box for $9, so I think I did alright! Auctions are not really my thing (been twice), but its always fun to hunt around there for a good find\buy.
IMG_20150802_081605411_HDR.jpg
IMG_20150802_081618885_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 17

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that flying eagle is in fantastic shape!, very cool assortment of finds, pipe stems don't show up too often either, very good site you're on

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow that flying eagle is in fantastic shape!, very cool assortment of finds, pipe stems don't show up too often either, very good site you're on

Thank you! Its in much better shape than my first flying eagle. They seem to get toasty... maybe because its a pretty low relief coin or something. I randomly clicked over a clump of dirt this morning and noticed the pipe stem. I had been wanting to find a pipe stem really bad and I found my first pipe stem about a month ago... so this is my second! NOW, I just need to find the bowl.

Another odd thing I didn't mention was the porcelain wheel with the iron frame. It must have gone to a cart or something in the mid 1800's.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
ADVENT NICE 1857 FLYING EAGLE , I RECENTLY PASSED ONE OF THESE TO MY NEPHEW SAME DATE AND JUST A TAD OR ABOUT SAME CONDITION AS YOURS. SEE GOT AN OLE STIRRUP AND WHAT I CALL A HONEY JAR BURNER FOR AN OIL LAMP. NICE ASSORTMENT OF 17OOS AND LOOKS LIKE SOME ONE MENTIONED THE POCELAIN WHEEL MAYBE A CHILDS CRIB OR PART TO A CHILDS BED FRAME.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another nice early site bud. Very nice buttons and a great sign. I too am Fatty indian headless lol

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs and auction finds there OA. I've found flying cents but nothing compared to the detail of yours. Looks like you have a great spot to dig

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, two flyping eagles. I'd love to find just one. Lol

Looks like this one is in Great shape too, Congrats!!

Love the old buttons too but, really like that thimble and pencil thing, Sweet!!

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That Flying eagle penny is really nice. I have only found one ,and your's is in much better shape

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds like a good day all together. Congrats!
Thank you! I was very surprised at the colonial finds. I wasnt expecting anything older than the mid 1800's.

ADVENT NICE 1857 FLYING EAGLE , I RECENTLY PASSED ONE OF THESE TO MY NEPHEW SAME DATE AND JUST A TAD OR ABOUT SAME CONDITION AS YOURS. SEE GOT AN OLE STIRRUP AND WHAT I CALL A HONEY JAR BURNER FOR AN OIL LAMP. NICE ASSORTMENT OF 17OOS AND LOOKS LIKE SOME ONE MENTIONED THE POCELAIN WHEEL MAYBE A CHILDS CRIB OR PART TO A CHILDS BED FRAME.
Thank you stuphin! I think you nailed the ID on that porcelain wheel. I just googled and saw some antique cribs with very similar wheels.

Another nice early site bud. Very nice buttons and a great sign. I too am Fatty indian headless lol
Thanks Abe! Hows it going up there? My find's have been slow down here, so I need you to go out and dig up something awesome to inspire me. :headbang: Sadly this site will be buried under 12 feet of dirt with a new road over top! Some of it may still be accessible when the dust settles... we'll see. I hate losing history forever due to development, but its pretty common around here. I forgot to tell you, I dug tons of brass at that old camp I was at a couple weeks ago... mostly rifle... and one .925 ring. But nothing too old or too great.

Nice digs and auction finds there OA. I've found flying cents but nothing compared to the detail of yours. Looks like you have a great spot to dig
Thanks a ton Tyler! The other one I found all those years ago is pretty rough. There is some light pitting on the rim of this one, but its got a brown patina and some spots of green. Not a bad looking coin.

Wow, two flyping eagles. I'd love to find just one. Lol

Looks like this one is in Great shape too, Congrats!!

Love the old buttons too but, really like that thimble and pencil thing, Sweet!!
Thank you! I see people digging thimbles on here all the time and I've never found one. So I figured I'd just buy one instead. ha I like the pencil a lot and just realized its 100 years old now.

That Flying eagle penny is really nice. I have only found one ,and your's is in much better shape
Thank you! I really lucked out on that one. Hopefully the dirt is as nice on everything else at this spot.

Last edited:

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
INCREDIBLE HAUL!!!. my FE is still in olive oil in hopes of a date

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really pretty Flying Eagle cent ! These are a Tough Find ! Congratulations ! - I will be on cloud nine when I find my first FE cent ,
(an IH is right up there for me too ) I think you did great on the pencil and the thimble !

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice to see you could get out again Brad. That FE cent is in great shape, and you don't see those in that condition too often. And regarding your tombac button, we find the backs of those all the time down here. What's missing is the pewter face that apparently gets broken quite easily, and I can't recall ever digging a complete one. Lot of other cool finds as well. Any idea of when you'll be returning to your primary site?

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice flying eagle cent.

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On my bucket list the eagle. Nice finds and auction as well!
Congrats

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
INCREDIBLE HAUL!!!. my FE is still in olive oil in hopes of a date
Thank you and good luck getting a date on yours!

Really pretty Flying Eagle cent ! These are a Tough Find ! Congratulations ! - I will be on cloud nine when I find my first FE cent ,
(an IH is right up there for me too ) I think you did great on the pencil and the thimble !
Thank you! Good luck on getting yours. Both mine I ended up seeing the back first and without the shield, you can most likely tell its a FE!
There is one guy at the auctions that shows up and means business! He busts out the loupe and examines everything... and is WAY MORE knowledgeable than me. He's been at the two I have been to and bids up everything. Luckily he didnt notice that ziplock bag, or I might have not gotten that box. ha

very cool
Thank you!

That is a superb flying eagle!! :) I love the pipestem too, they are so cool to find! Very nice buttons!!
Thank you! It'll make my hunt if/when I come across a pipe bowl. I have seen people post them and always thought they were really awesome.

Nice flying eagle cent.
Thank you!

On my bucket list the eagle. Nice finds and auction as well!
Congrats
Thank you!

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice to see you could get out again Brad. That FE cent is in great shape, and you don't see those in that condition too often. And regarding your tombac button, we find the backs of those all the time down here. What's missing is the pewter face that apparently gets broken quite easily, and I can't recall ever digging a complete one. Lot of other cool finds as well. Any idea of when you'll be returning to your primary site?

Thank you Bill!

The back looked like a regular tombac.
IMG_20150803_024055.jpg

On the front side I could see the shank come through and bent over. And it looked like it was covered in solder or lead.
IMG_20150803_024027.jpg

From the side the rim just ended and it looked like there was more to it.
IMG_20150803_024204.jpg

Thank you for that information Bill. I keep learning. I had no clue there were two piece tombac buttons. SO what would have been on the pewter front? I would assume it would be a nicer design since they went through the trouble of making it in two pieces. Would be cool to find a complete one.

I keep checking on my primary site, but I probably wont be able to get in there until the fall or winter. In the meantime I have been thinking of my next step there and I have some ideas that I think might give me some productive hunts. Based on my track record at the site in a dozen or so hunts, I think my plan will turn up some more goodies.

I saw your second water hunt and you seem to be having a productive summer. My T2 came camping with me a couple weeks ago and I dug a TON of brass shell casings and a sterling ring... but nothing gets me as excited as these colonial relics do now. haha

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats OA! That FE is just awesome. One of the best I have seen, smooth and detailed. Very well done.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread