Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this today, it's the front door to a small wall-mounted coca-cola machine. When I bent it back to its original shape I was surprised to see written on it, "New! Coca-Cola introduces the Stay-On-Tab! Easier to handle! 1. Lift 2. Pull all the way forward 3. Push all the way back 4. Tab stays on." How's that for a turning point in metal detecting history, no more new can tabs ever since. :laughing7:

Not really a treasure but I thought it's sort of significant considering how familiar we all are with can tabs. :D

20150803_132909.jpg

20150803_132923.jpg

Upvote 12

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You raise an interesting question - Clearly the "stay-on- tab" hasn't really stayed on - We all are digging a lot of these ?
why are they popping off ? anybody ?

Fix

Oct 17, 2012
Southern California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign XS-2a Pro with a 15 inch DD WOT coil.
Deeptech Vista Gold.
AT Max.
Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You raise an interesting question - Clearly the "stay-on- tab" hasn't really stayed on - We all are digging a lot of these ?

I'm an expert on this subject. lol. I remember when they first came out.
The tab feels like it's in the way when you drink out of the can compared to the old style pull tabs.
So people pull/pop them off. It's simple.
After the can is open, turn the tab around 180 degrees and pull up on it real quick. It pops right off. Everytime.

Brother Al

Jul 23, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Three White's, one Fisher and a Minelab.....I'm beginning to wonder if I am a metal detectorist .....or a collector of metal detectors?
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm an expert on this subject. lol. I remember when they first came out.
The tab feels like it's in the way when you drink out of the can compared to the old style pull tabs.
So people pull/pop them off. It's simple.
After the can is open, turn the tab around 180 degrees and pull up on it real quick. It pops right off. Everytime.

Mr. Billy Reynolds of Reynolds metals was the expert.... RIP. He was one of four sons and VP of R and D who patented the " stay put pull tab". A dear friend.:key:

Sod Buster

Jun 14, 2014
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, White's Bullseye TRX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Clearly, you have never experienced the pleasure of having a mustache hair repeatedly caught in that wonderful stay on tab.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Very cool piece..

Amazing I don't dig many of those dag things..the beach's I hunt were before them and closed before the came out. I may get a few from the passing thru boaters..

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome Post, Thanks! When I was growing up, the girls would make wishes when they popped these things off. They also made bracelets with them ( or something, my memory isn't 100% anymore ). My favorite thing about these little guys is how they ring up EXACTLY like a nickel does. :tongue3:

Skippy SH13

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2015
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We drink WAY more soda than they used to... we have WAY more people than they used to... Even with the low percentage of tops that make it off the "stay on" part... we have plenty to dig.. :(

On the flipside, everytime I go dig the schools that are 50 years old or older, I'm CONSTANTLY digging the old pull tabs... Those things were EVERYWHERE... in comparison the pop-tops don't seem to be as plentiful on the school grounds.

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting piece of modern history you uncovered

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, we bear witness to the well intended invention and the actual out come....an aluminum jungle for the gold and nickels to hide in! Then there's the beloved,....can slaw!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread