Dang Meteor ALmost Ruined my day!

Ron B

May 11, 2007
Trinidad, Colorado
There I was; minding my own business. Head down, working that coil. Wham! Something fell from the sky almost knocking my headphones off! Not really but close. :) Here's my take for today --- that's a magnet on the side!

66mftk2.jpg

67rlhtw.jpg

54a0aom.jpg

Thanks!
GRB

Upvote 0
B

BIG61AL

OH MAN! A meteor is one of my things that I want to find....super find!

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
I read that generaly when you find one, you could possibly be in a field that was once showered and larger pieces may be close by.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did that thing actually land while you were detecting or was that just tongue in cheek? At any rate, great find. Monty

history hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2007
Menasha WI.
Detector(s) used
Nox 800 AT Max, Mine lab se pro/ Teknetics 7500 / teknetics 8000 / fisher m-scope (aquanut) 1280x/2ea compass relic magnum 6 /compass yukon 77b (professional) /compass yukon 71b
That's awesome, probably get some money for that.

Raoul

May 5, 2004
Perth West Australia
GRG what are the odds on almost being hit by a meteor,hope you put in a lotto ticket.
did you contact the TV news?i'm sure thats well and truly a news item.

;)Raoul

steve m

Jan 3, 2007
Portland, OR.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites XL Pro, Compass x80, Garrett 1350
Seriously? Did you detect it or did it really hit the ground next to you?
Wow, that would hurt! LOL
Nice finds by the way...

SpecialFarces

May 7, 2007
Upstate New York - USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Let's see... at current prices for iron meteorite $8 to $20 per gram, and that looks like at least 4 pounds..... which is about 1814 grams... could be about $36,000 US$ (at high end).

OP
OP
Ron B

Ron B

May 11, 2007
Trinidad, Colorado
Hello Guys & Gals!
No, I was just having a little fun referencing almost being hit by this "space-rock" thing. :

I actually found this rock-meteor-junk in a valley on my property yesterday where there is the remains of an old stone house. According to my neighbors the previous owner had several loads of gravel dumped around the site years ago. I suspect this rock was part of one of those loads as I did search for more, not finding any. You can bet I'll verify the continued lack of magnetized ore for sure! :)

To satisfy my curiosity I may have Little Miss S E's find checked out! It sure would be neat to sell this thing, recouping enough to pay off the wife-bank financing my extravagant hobby! You think that would make Miss Arlyn smile? I think she could use an SE aso. :)

May your day bring blessings!
GRB

664uixe.jpg

nealb

Jan 2, 2007
Omaha, NE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 and Discovery 1100
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GRB - that's an awesome find. That's at the top of my list for things to find. They are valuable.

HH

wildrider

Bronze Member
Feb 25, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC IIb/White's 6000 Di Pro
Uh...dude,

FYI, you are supposed to focus on the most important thing in the picture. ;D

And I'd say it was the detector, but you completely left that out! Just kidding.

There's gotta be gold around there somewhere. Before I started detecting, I lived in Raton for a while. That's
a nice drive between Trinidad and there. Looking back, I bet there is alot of gold in those stream beds.

Take care.

Burt

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
FYI, you are supposed to focus on the most important thing in the picture.

He did...The car is crystal clear...only kidding!!!

You should call your local University and their geologist would love to see it. They can tell you exactly what you have there. We just had a situation here in NJ where a 'meteorite' went through the roof of a house and landed in the bathroom. After a few weeks of press a geologist got there hands on it to do some tests and it turned out to be just man made space junk. Something off of a satelite, skylab or something else man made. It was floating around in outer space until it reentered the Earth's atmosphere. On reentry the man made item gets heated up and melts so it looks similar to a meterite but they can tell by the composition that it originally came from earth.

The Universities will look at it for free. They are always looking for something new to discover so they can get some free press and additional funding. Plus, if you are looking to sell it for top dollar it must be documented. As the science world calls them there are too many 'Metor Wrongs' opposed to 'Metor Rights' that the general public find.

Good luck

NJ

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread