Civil War Sword

gigmaster

Mar 16, 2007
Chesapeake, VA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox (coming!), Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett AT Pro, Teknetics G2, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark 2
Primary Interest:
Other

Attachments

• IMG_6049.JPG
    IMG_6049.JPG
    185.6 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_6050.JPG
    IMG_6050.JPG
    304.3 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_6052.JPG
    IMG_6052.JPG
    226.4 KB · Views: 155
Upvote 18

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
the sword is actually a " cavalry saber" -- the 1840 model was commonly nicknamed "the wristbreaker" the wrist guard is the tip off as to its model , the model 1860 is fairly similar but a bit different

Last edited:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
its either a US model 1860 light cavalry saber or a 1840 "heavy" cavalry saber --if the handle has grooving in the wood its a 1860 --if it has wire wrap over leather over wood its a 1840 model ..great find ...both models were used during the war ...Jeb Stuart and Custer both used the model 1860 --while Sheridan used the model 1840

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds and cool sword.

creade

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
n.h.
Detector(s) used
DEUS,root slayer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW,what else can be said:notworthy::rocks:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ah with its oversided large deeply swept back type guard its a model 1840 "wrist breaker" heavy cavalry type model ==the "lighter" model 1860 "light" cavalry model brass guard handle did not go as far back as the model 1840 did ...if there is any ID left it will be "stamped on the blade" right by the brass hilt on the iron blade ... by the numbers made % wise its a good chance it was made by AMES ... big time military contractor for the US military .

OP
OP
G

gigmaster

Mar 16, 2007
Chesapeake, VA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox (coming!), Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett AT Pro, Teknetics G2, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark 2
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the input on the type of sword! I am clueless! I don't see any markings on the brass part. The blade is too rusted to see any markings. The wood that is left where the handle was did have some wire wrapping around it.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
odds are excellent that you have a AMEs made model 1840 heavy cavalry saber ... being that they were made for 20 years before the civil broke out ... many southern cavalry units and officer had these types of swords at the start of the war --as did the union side as well ...so the sword could be from either side..confederate or union ...the blade being busted might be action related ..if there was fighting close by ...I see some CW era looking bullets as well...

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Now that one great looking find, congrats!

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An Awesome Find You got there.
Another reason I want to get into Water Hunting Someday.

Also the Dropped/ wet Cleaners would have made my day.

What do you do with all that 'tackle' ? I have a-lot myself from lake Shoreline Hunts.
Davers

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
looking at it a bit closer --yep looks to be a 1840 model "wrist breaker" heavy cavalry saber ...since it was made for 20 year before the civil war broke out mainly by AMES for the US Military .....both sides cavalry units had this type of sword (saber) on hand since it was the standard issue weapon for all US cavalry units ....so this sword could easily have belonged to either side ... I noticed some CW era type bullets ...figgering out if these were confederate or union type of bullets might help you( if its a camp site type area that is ) as to wither its a union or confederate used sword .... I see it busted often cavalry mens swords were busted by striking a unyielding object or if fighting saber iupon saber and a bad b;low was struck breaking it --several stories exist where the cavalry man's sword was broken while it the sheath by a bullet strike and the cavalry man unaware of it having occurred and later on trying to pull his sword only to get a useless "nub'

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Amazing! If the tip wasn't in the immediate area I would think it's battle damaged. My reason being, if my sword broke during battle, a nub is better than nothing at all. Once a (I), soldier, got away and/or received a replacement I would toss it aside. It's just a guess based upon my assumed behavior so it could be very right, or very wrong.

Congrats on a col find and one that makes you think;) those are always the best ones.

Steve

OP
OP
G

gigmaster

Mar 16, 2007
Chesapeake, VA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Davers - I got a bucket of sinkers, i guess i will sell for scrap one day!

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome find Gig! Certainly don't see those turn up everyday. Looks like you're from just down the road. Maybe we'll bump into each other sometime.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow, outstanding recovery! Congratulation.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread