Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Haven't been out much this summer other than a couple of excursions to the beach. I'm not really a beach hunter as I really like finding old coins. Pulled out a nice one yesterday, my first half cent and it's from 1795-1797. Haven't gotten a date off it yet and I'm not sure I ever will, but early half cents are a nice find. Another piece off the bucket list. I also picked up a large cent and a few buttons including a neat early postal button. One of the rings is 14k and the other stuff in the pic is silver. I liked the Saint Christopher medal as it's the first one I've seen that isn't oval or round. I also picked up some Indians, Barber dimes, Mercs etc, but nothing special. We've had a really hot and really dry summer around here. We're on 58 days in a row above 80 degrees and I think we tripled our 90 degree days over last year. At the same time we haven't had much rain. I don't do parks when the soil is really dry because even if you make a fairly neat hole (hard to do when dry) the grass ends up dying shortly thereafter.

I should mention, the large cent, half cent and buckle came as a result of studying early maps. If you're in an old area and not using old maps you're missing out. I've added a map I used.

half cent obv crop.jpg half cent rev crop.jpg

large cent obv.jpg large cent rev.jpg

20150906_085426.jpg

20150906_085507 buttons.jpg

20150905_120300 buckle.jpg

map of finds.jpg

Upvote 17

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. One of those years of the half cent is thicker than others and the odds are not in your favor that it's a 1796 so you may be able to narrow it down.

OP
OP
doninbrewster

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds. One of those years of the half cent is thicker than others and the odds are not in your favor that it's a 1796 so you may be able to narrow it down.

The 1794's are a bit different stylistically than 95-97. I know it's not likely to be a 96, but I can dream : ) I'm trying to find evidence of a pole, but don't see anything that leads me to believe there is one on this coin. That would narrow it down 8-)

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt Don!!! Love them buttons also. What is the one with the crown? I found the same POD button last week.
Im going to take a wild shot and say the HC, is 95..
Way to go.
George

deepsecrets

Jan 10, 2009
Shenandoah Valley Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a very cool early Quartermaster Corp button (Eagle crossed key/sword)- looks like could be one of the Revolutionary War era buttons. Very nice find!

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don, Liberty Caps have always been my favorite find, even over my beloved NJ coppers. Well, it does appear to be a no pole one, but it looks by the die crack running from around A in STATES down into the Wreath area, thus the reverse to be a match for the 1795 Cohen 5a variety. 1795 Half Cent - Cohen 5a. I know I got excited on two of my Liberty Caps, both with no pole but they turned out to be 6a variety for the 1795. Weight of both of mine was 80 grains, just below the mint weight of 84 grains. Don

terpfan

Bronze Member
Oct 31, 2007
Maryland/ NC
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 1794's are a bit different stylistically than 95-97. I know it's not likely to be a 96, but I can dream : ) I'm trying to find evidence of a pole, but don't see anything that leads me to believe there is one on this coin. That would narrow it down 8-)

Don, don't you think the date can be narrowed down to either 1795 or 1796? In 1797 the letter "L" in "Liberty" appears much further from the liberty cap than seen in your coin. Great find, I'd love to find a LC half cent.

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, Don could you show us the back of them buttons.
I believe you have a real winner's there, on top of the half cent..

RelicHunter97

Sep 10, 2010
Western Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Gotta love those old maps! I've documented WELL over 1,000 locations where a house, store, mill, school, etc., used to be but no longer exists across my area. So many possibilities!

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You had a great day right there. :thumbsup: A Liberty cap is on my wish list, hopefully one turns up soon.

Those buttons are awesome too. :)

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice recoveries Don!!

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
That is one spectacular cooper. Many of us may never find that coin but I hope all of us do. Congrats Don

Steve

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the Liberty Cap Half Cent. Don't see those posted very often.

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's Nice .... definitely not recent store bought bull poop
A 1796 half cent of any variety
would be a first . You came very very close to the rarest little half sister 8-)
"maybe the next one " and Imho
Early US Lib caps are extremely exciting ! Some are valuable even in dug as you well know . Good luck this Fall

CMD

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG on the 1/c Cent Don! Still haven't fond a 1/2 of any denomination but still looking. The buttons are also cool.

One word of caution is to not post the map of where you made your finds, as sites are becoming harder & harder to find that haven't been pounded to death. CT is really drying up. Out of the last 5 seasons this is the worst one I've ever had, which includes my very 1st season. Normally I'd have about 10-15 LC's and a few other coins by now. This year I have 5 LC's & 1 IH.

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the Liberty cap!! Hmmmm looks familiar like I've seen it before [emoji6]. Nice finds all around! Enjoy!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice my friend. Hope there's more area there to hunt. Good age to that spot

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread