I love coin spills!-two dimes and one penny

Lilly0fA

Feb 13, 2015
Washington State
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today I found my first silver Roosevelt dime! In fact there were two of them! To date, I have only found 6 silver dimes, and they are all Mercury dimes. There was something neat about pulling the first silver Rosie out of the hole! 1957 was out first, but then the pinpointer was still going off in the hole. I then located the second object, which turned out to be two coins. Behold; a second Roosevelt dime and a wheat penny stuck together!! Here is the 1963D and the 1958 wheatie.

I am definitely going back to this location! There were wheat pennies everywhere! I think it was a "virgin" site. There were only two silver so far but I had to leave for the day!

IMG_4020.JPG image1.JPG image2.JPG

The best things in life are _______? Free? ✔ In the ground? ✔

***********************UPDATE***************************
I went back today 9/14 and found a pretty silver 1962 Canadian dime! It was only 2-3 inches down and rang up like an old penny! I think that's because the Canadian dimes are only 80% silver. I am hoping there's more as I continue to find wheat pennies! 1944s, and 1957 d wheat pennies and a 1945 Canadian penny.

IMG_4081.JPG IMG_4094.JPG IMG_4096.JPG

9/17/15 update:
Ok so I went back today and found yet another silver Canadian dime! It's funny as it's also a 1962, just like the first Canadian dime. 1962 is the year! I also found 4 wheat pennies today, a marble, and a Cub Scout neck piece. I can't wait to see what else shows up! This place is a treasure mine :)

IMG_4133.JPG FullSizeRender (1).jpg FullSizeRender (2).jpg

9/22/15 update:

Well, I started to think things were drying up at this site. After a long day of searching and finding about $1.20 in clad, 4 wheat pennies, the sun started to set. I was frustrated as there had been 4 wheaties all from the '50s. I thought; 'Where is the darn silver??!' It seems that the best finds have a pattern of showing up at the end of the day! Funny how that works....The detector hit a high tone, repeatable two ways. It was ringing up like a quarter. I thought it sounded suspect but thought it was too high of a frequency for a dime. So I dug it up...Out pops this Mercury! :) It's a 1943s! The site is an area where there was a preschool in the 1960s. So perhaps it was dropped in the '60s? What a pretty one. This park has been great to me! Just when I think there are no more left... IMG_4154.JPG IMG_4157.JPG IMG_4159.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 18

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your 1st Rosie. :occasion14: One silver makes it a very good good, 2 silver makes it a great day.

OP
OP
Lilly0fA

Lilly0fA

Feb 13, 2015
Washington State
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Loco-Digger: Thanks! It was so cool to get two in one day! I was so mystified for a while; I just kept finding Merc after Merc. I thought; where are the Roosevelts? This is from a new site today. It was beautiful outside today, and I drove past this park 2 min. from where I live. I just had an instinct so I went with it but part of me thought at the same time that there would just be clad. Yes it was a great day!

Mnixon: Yes! I'm going back ASAP! I kept getting wheat penny after penny so surely there's more!

Last edited:

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice!!! We would be HAPPY to have two silvers in one hole for sure!!!

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
minelab safari,whites m6, AT Pro, Ace 250 and whites coin master, Garrett AT propointer (garrett carrot), Lesche hand digger, 5x8 & 8.5x11 DD coils for the Pro, Camera is Ion Air Pro 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
congrats and welcome to the club...theres plenty more out there...now u know how they sound ull be gettin them all the time! but remember good research pays off...location...location....location....and a lil luck!

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
napoleon.jpg

Congrats on a silver spill! I have yet to enjoy that...Sub 8-)

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congs on finding 2 silver. It must be nice to be able to do some digging in the ground. Ground around here is so hard and dry. Si I been working the sand and water every week.

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
WooHoo! Congratz!

qaela4

Bronze Member
Jul 24, 2014
Keene, New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver,Tesoro Silver Sabre uMax.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your first Rosie! Even better that it came in pairs :icon_thumleft:. You'll know if it is virgin ground if you start pulling quarters, usually they are the first to disappear when the coin-shooters go through.

ajaj

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2012
Orange, Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Minelab eTrac
Minelab Excalibur 8"
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup; those many Wheats will produce some more silver! Way to go!

aj

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the spill of coins.Hurry back there as where lots of wheat pennies are found ,silver most likely is in with them.

OP
OP
Lilly0fA

Lilly0fA

Feb 13, 2015
Washington State
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One more silver found today! See above! I am definitely going back for more searching!

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Today I found my first silver Roosevelt dime! In fact there were two of them! To date, I have only found 6 silver dimes, and they are all Mercury dimes. There was something neat about pulling the first silver Rosie out of the hole! 1957 was out first, but then the pinpointer was still going off in the hole. I then located the second object, which turned out to be two coins. Behold; a second Roosevelt dime and a wheat penny stuck together!! Here is the 1963D and the 1958 wheatie.

I am definitely going back to this location! There were wheat pennies everywhere! I think it was a "virgin" site. There were only two silver so far but I had to leave for the day!

View attachment 1210035 View attachment 1209987 View attachment 1209988

The best things in life are _______? Free? [emoji818] In the ground? [emoji818]

***********************UPDATE***************************
I went back today 9/14 and found a pretty silver 1962 Canadian dime! It was only 2-3 inches down and rang up like an old penny! I think that's because the Canadian dimes are only 80% silver. I am hoping there's more as I continue to find wheat pennies! 1944s, and 1957 d wheat pennies and a 1945 Canadian penny.

View attachment 1211395 View attachment 1211396 View attachment 1211397 View attachment 1211398

Great finds. I like the coin spills too. Found a couple of little ones myself! [emoji12]
Your right on the Canadian dime being only 80% silver but before 1920 are sterling silver (92.5%)!

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job on the double silver day, & congrats on your first & second Rosie's.

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very, very nice finds. old coin spills are great; especially when they contain multiple silver.

You need to go back and pound every inch of that spot ASAP!!

Congrats on multiple silvers, Wheaties, a great spot and a great hunt.

Oh; and you're right. The best things in life ARE free and very often come from the ground. You just gotta' love this hobby.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lilly0fA

Lilly0fA

Feb 13, 2015
Washington State
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garrett424 thank you!! yes they totally are! I know, I'm working on it!! Today I found another Canadian silver dime (see above) also from the same year!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread