Whole lotta work to save a few CW relics from the coming bulldozers . . .

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It was purported to be a winter camp for some engineers. Near Remington, VA - and dozens and dozens of acres will be bulldozed in 4 days to make way for solar panels. I went with high hopes, but if there was a camp, we sure didn't find it. We hunted HARD for two solid days. The wacky, iron-infused rocks of that area played havoc with my Tesoro Tejon. I absolutely LOVE that machine, but it ain't the right machine for that ground (or I'm not the right operator). I hunt with no discrimination and get good depth. Impossible up there. By the time you discriminate out all that iron in the soil and hot rocks, you've killed your depth.

Anyway, here's what I found. Dropped .44 cal bullet (colt pistol?), banged-up 3 ringer, flat button, Scoville button back only, some thin brass, .36 cal round ball, and two pieces of lead that look MAYBE made into game pieces. Find of the trip was the Boreman fuse (at least I'm pretty sure that's what it is). Weird. Not a single piece of shrapnel. Of course, I was avoiding iron signals like the plague. The first half a day, all I dug was hot rocks!! And digging was like tunneling through a sidewalk, with all that stone in the ground. Happy with the fuse, but that was a LOT of work for powerful-few relics.

DSCN1602.JPG DSCN1603.JPG DSCN1604.JPG

Upvote 10

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear you Walker, some day are really hard.. Great saves.
I look at it this way, if I can come home with 1 good keeper I had a good day.. And you had a great day.
George

mirage83

Dec 20, 2009
NW Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, XLT
Virginia soil can definitely be a challenge to hunt in, raises all sorts of havoc with a lot of non-PI detectors. Looks like a good hunt in spite of the soil conditions though. In any case, you pretty much eliminated that area as a good hunting site, makes it easier to take it being raked over by dozers.

OP
OP
parsonwalker

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Virginia soil can definitely be a challenge to hunt in, raises all sorts of havoc with a lot of non-PI detectors. Looks like a good hunt in spite of the soil conditions though. In any case, you pretty much eliminated that area as a good hunting site, makes it easier to take it being raked over by dozers.

Absolutely. I would have been SICK had i not tried it before . . .

tndirtdigger

Feb 21, 2015
Middle Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Try it again after they hit it with the dozers the first few days and they may do the digging for you!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hitndahed

Dec 4, 2014
Deep in the woods in South Central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ7 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was purported to be a winter camp for some engineers. Near Remington, VA - and dozens and dozens of acres will be bulldozed in 4 days to make way for solar panels. I went with high hopes, but if there was a camp, we sure didn't find it. We hunted HARD for two solid days. The wacky, iron-infused rocks of that area played havoc with my Tesoro Tejon. I absolutely LOVE that machine, but it ain't the right machine for that ground (or I'm not the right operator). I hunt with no discrimination and get good depth. Impossible up there. By the time you discriminate out all that iron in the soil and hot rocks, you've killed your depth.

Anyway, here's what I found. Dropped .44 cal bullet (colt pistol?), banged-up 3 ringer, flat button, Scoville button back only, some thin brass, .36 cal round ball, and two pieces of lead that look MAYBE made into game pieces. Find of the trip was the Boreman fuse (at least I'm pretty sure that's what it is). Weird. Not a single piece of shrapnel. Of course, I was avoiding iron signals like the plague. The first half a day, all I dug was hot rocks!! And digging was like tunneling through a sidewalk, with all that stone in the ground. Happy with the fuse, but that was a LOT of work for powerful-few relics.

View attachment 1215581 View attachment 1215583 View attachment 1215585
===============================================================================================
This is the exact same situation that myself and 2 of my MDing friends encountered while running down a lead I was given by a long time friend.
Our story was told that approximately 30 or so years ago my friend and his buddy were hanging out watching a bulldozer clear a field in Adams County and something caught their eyes.
It was a long slender slightly rusted piece of metal. At first it was thought to just be old farm junk, but when one of them pulled it out of the dirt pile that "junk" turned out to be a complete CW sword.
I was told that they finished their beers, smoked the last doobie and left. The sword is still in the hands of the finder as well but I have never seen it personally. I just think I will try and find him just to do this.

So anyway,,This story was told to me right after I joined here. So we went looking.
We found the site and what we found was the exact same thing. That the land now was under an entire array of HUGE solar panels and NO permission would ever be given to "dig" anywhere near the area.
They (property owners) would not even allow us to dig anywhere close to the area. I wish now that I had kept my mouth shut and just "looked ninja style".
Oh well,,, those panels WILL need replacing. They are 30 years old. lol

But where this item was found WAS a highly travelled area, by both Union and Confederate troops so probably there are other "camps" nearby. I just haven't had time to and survey the area at all.

OP
OP
parsonwalker

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Try it again after they hit it with the dozers the first few days and they may do the digging for you!

I wish. The land is under LEASE for three more days. That's how I got permission. When the lease is up, the real owner will fence it off and begin dozing. No permission granted after the lease is up.

Hitndahed - Don't you HATE that?! But I don't see how you could do any good around and under giant solar panels. Surely framed with steel and generating electricity . . . Nightmare!

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish. The land is under LEASE for three more days. That's how I got permission. When the lease is up, the real owner will fence it off and begin dozing. No permission granted after the lease is up.

Hitndahed - Don't you HATE that?! But I don't see how you could do any good around and under giant solar panels. Surely framed with steel and generating electricity . . . Nightmare!

And all the Pieces of Brass ,Copper, Iron etc in the ground from maintenance over the years. A true hunting Nite-Mare.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Try!

Like it's been said at-least you got some Keepers .
&
Just as I thought those finds would have made for a great hunt around here, esp, the fuse & Buttons.
CW Relic hunting is hard work these days , but with ground like that , I sometimes Question Why I do it. Also Such relics are not worth much $ (on the market) but to Us true lovers of the Hunt & History they are "Priceless" .

Also Parson There are very few places I can run the Tejon in all metal mode around here.
Again Very glad to see U saved Some Relics.:thumbsup:

You will do good in the future.:thumbsup:
Davers

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
DANG THERE PARSON WALKER THAT SOME NICE CW FINDS . I GOT A CUZ WHO LIVES IN RUCKERSVILLE VA AND I HAVE ALWAYS WANTED TO GO THERE AND DIG . IS THE GROUND HOT , LIKE CULPEPER

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread