🥇 BANNER CLOVIS! My Oldest Find EVER!

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Two days later and I'm still just as giddy as when I found this.

Monday after work I decided to take a little drive down to Massachusetts to a colonial farm site along the Connecticut River where I have had some luck with my detector. After swinging the coil for a while in a lower field and only turing up a few flat buttons, I decided to try my luck in the upper field which had recently been turned over. The soil was really dry and the dust was awful. Disgruntled, I figured I would do one more pass hoping to dig at least one good keeper for the day. I always look down when I'm detecting, so its not uncommon for me to find the occasional arrowhead or flake, but what I saw laying on the ground shocked me. Staring up from the dusty earth was the most perfect point I had ever seen. I just about through my detector and shovel in excitement. I didn't even think to take an in-situ picture, I just picked it up and kept saying "oh my god, oh my god." In my hand I held my very first Paleo point, this wonderfully fluted Clovis! The point is 4 1/8" long, 1 1/2" wide. I can't wait to get back there and search for more!

Attachments

• IMG_1832.JPG
    IMG_1832.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 781
  • IMG_1834.JPG
    IMG_1834.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 654
  • IMG_1835.JPG
    IMG_1835.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 617
  • IMG_1824.JPG
    IMG_1824.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 658
  • IMG_1825.JPG
    IMG_1825.JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 614
  • IMG_1828.JPG
    IMG_1828.JPG
    100 KB · Views: 630
  • IMG_1827.JPG
    IMG_1827.JPG
    99.9 KB · Views: 606
Upvote 100
OP
OP
oxbowbarefoot

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Jason, thanks for stopping by. That point is incredible for sure! It would have been nice if we found more of those points or some shillings today. But that's why it's called hunting. I'm going to go talk to the guy that owns the overgrown field we went to and find out whats going on with it. The old house in front was a tavern at some point according to the old guy that owned the field. There has to be some awesome stuff still there? Hopefully I get caught up on work soon and get some time to take you up on your offer to hunt those foundations before the snow fly's? Talk to you soon mister.

We'll find the goodies next time, brother. Weather permitting, I'll be back in Mass. on Columbus Day.

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a few pictures of the one I found. Found near the Normans Kill.

021.JPG 022.JPG 024.JPG

014.JPG 015.JPG 016.JPG

OP
OP
oxbowbarefoot

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
That looks like a Clovis preform to me. The flutes haven't been taken out yet, but the platforms are there. Thanks for sharing!

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful find and it pays to keep your eyes open. I used to think Clovis points were smaller, but found out different from these forums. It sure got my heart rate up just looking at this beautiful point and hope this area gives up more artifacts to you.

Peter Iredale

Jun 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is nice. Ive always been a fan of paleo indian artifacts in the U.S. I love the stone age. If you can you should drive to oregon to portland and go to sauvie island and there there is a 700 year old chinookin village underground sunken and thousands of perfectly preserved items found but id be careful because its being protected by archeologists from grave diggibg which is a good idea but just a suggestion

mickael

Jul 14, 2014
France
Detector(s) used
XP Deus - Tesoro µMax - lol
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd rather find one of those any day

OP
OP
oxbowbarefoot

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
That is nice. Ive always been a fan of paleo indian artifacts in the U.S. I love the stone age. If you can you should drive to oregon to portland and go to sauvie island and there there is a 700 year old chinookin village underground sunken and thousands of perfectly preserved items found but id be careful because its being protected by archeologists from grave diggibg which is a good idea but just a suggestion

Thanks for the tip, but I wouldn't be interested in collecting at a protected site.

HD Paulie

Sep 20, 2015
Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Minelab Etrac
Fisher CZ-6
Fisher CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oxbow that is such an incredible find! I know people love your pretty old coins (me included) but this Clovis point goes back to a time that is hard to comprehend. Really happy for Ya man. 99.999999% of us will never find something that matches that

OP
OP
oxbowbarefoot

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Oxbow that is such an incredible find! I know people love your pretty old coins (me included) but this Clovis point goes back to a time that is hard to comprehend. Really happy for Ya man. 99.999999% of us will never find something that matches that

Thanks, Ahab. It's definitely my favorite (and by far my most valuable) find so far. I've been lucky enough to meet Dr. Gramly and other members of the ASAA and work with them at a Paleo site not far from where I found my Clovis. You're certainly in a good area to find Native American artifacts, including Paleo.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, Ahab. It's definitely my favorite (and by far my most valuable) find so far. I've been lucky enough to meet Dr. Gramly and other members of the ASAA and work with them at a Paleo site not far from where I found my Clovis. You're certainly in a good area to find Native American artifacts, including Paleo.

Ox I went to a lecture last year done by a local young female archaeologist. She was incredibly passionate and also metal detects. We must have sat and talked for an hour after the lecture. The early Native American relics are what she is most passionate about. She asked me if I could help her with the detector and told me she would reach me more about these Native American items and take me to some areas where we could possibly find some. I would love to expand my knowledge and start branching out a bit. I'm excited to have a friend who's an archaeologist that doesn't think everybody with a detector is doing something terrible.
On another note the 9th of November is the one year anniversary of finding the tree coin. I'm hoping to get to a new site with a lot of activity in the mud to late 1600s to see if I can find #2. I know it's a fantasy but you never know. I'm actually working in Vt right now in Stowe. You're in Vt correct?

OP
OP
oxbowbarefoot

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Ox I went to a lecture last year done by a local young female archaeologist. She was incredibly passionate and also metal detects. We must have sat and talked for an hour after the lecture. The early Native American relics are what she is most passionate about. She asked me if I could help her with the detector and told me she would reach me more about these Native American items and take me to some areas where we could possibly find some. I would love to expand my knowledge and start branching out a bit. I'm excited to have a friend who's an archaeologist that doesn't think everybody with a detector is doing something terrible.
On another note the 9th of November is the one year anniversary of finding the tree coin. I'm hoping to get to a new site with a lot of activity in the mud to late 1600s to see if I can find #2. I know it's a fantasy but you never know. I'm actually working in Vt right now in Stowe. You're in Vt correct?

That's cool, Ahab. It's always nice to work with collector friendly archaeologists. Many archaeologists get a bad reputation with detectorists, but often that reputation is unearned. I've known a few who are happy about the contributions of detectorists.

And yes, I am in Vermont now. A ways away from Stowe though. But let me know if you ever want to get out for a hunt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread