Feb 6, 2014
Lowcountry, South Carolina / Richmond, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey guys,

Given the recent flooding in SC, getting to my favorite sites is unfortunately not an option. In order to satiate my desire to go hunting I instead broke open a container of recent colonial/civil war digs that I had not the opportunity to sort and clean. Long story short- never throw any anything you dig :laughing7:

1.jpg

Among the finds rediscovered were CW lead (one British enfield round fired into iron, unknown caliber with nipple on top, and a smaller 2 ringer with matching brass (partial cartridge). Looking for help regarding the lead bullet with the small extension on the tip?

2.jpg 3.jpg

Also recovered we a few mystery brass pieces- possibly gun components.

4.jpg 4 1.jpg 4 2.jpg

One of the more interesting finds was this item- no clue as to what it is. It is a piece of metal, sandwiched between 2 linear wood pieces and held together with copper rivets.

5.jpg 6.jpg

Another mystery dig was what I believe to be a wax stamp/seal. Here's a look at the bottom-

7.jpg

To round out the digs were these 2 tags- one belonging to the Lockhart family dog in 1957 and a key ID tag belonging to a submarine officer.

8.jpg

The last find isn't quite recent enough to be a "Today Find" but certainly worth the mention. This late 17th Century to mid 18th Century cuff is the earliest of the linked button/cuff varieties. It's a British manufactured pewter cuff link, 12mm, and contains a blown glass jewel with a cross etched into the surface- found at Gheenoe78/my Rev War camp a few months ago. Props to Crusader for the identification in the What is it forum and now moving this dig over here to share.

glass cuff front.jpg glass cuff front 1.jpg glass cuff back.jpg glass cuff 1.jpg

Enjoy the pics and thanks for looking

Upvote 10

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I KNOW I've seen that lead with the thin extension in your pics, but for the LIFE of me, I can't remember what it was supposed to be! I hope somebody tells you, because now it's killin me. I think your iron sandwiched between wood with rivets is the handle portion-remains of a kitchen knife or other utensil. Camp utensil if found in such a place . . .

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I KNOW I've seen that lead with the thin extension in your pics, but for the LIFE of me, I can't remember what it was supposed to be! I hope somebody tells you, because now it's killin me. I think your iron sandwiched between wood with rivets is the handle portion-remains of a kitchen knife or other utensil. Camp utensil if found in such a place . . .

Camp utensil certainly makes sense for the wood piece, hopefully the lead piece is recognized by another Tnet member.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
DANG NICE FINDS THERE 07 .....

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice finds, Hope u can get back out Soon, The ground is surly full of 'signal Enhancing Moisture..

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Possible 17th C. is a tough barrier to cross in the U.S. Quite an unusual cuff link but man that's so cool! Congrats!

Steve

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
nice finds, Hope u can get back out Soon, The ground is surly full of 'signal Enhancing Moisture..

Haha probably head back to the coast this weekend, tried wading through the swamps today and got way to close to a gator. Hopefully all this water subsides soon

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The thing with the rivets might be a pocket knife with a rotted wood handle

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread