Back to the Circus grounds ODd twice in a hour

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
minelab safari,whites m6, AT Pro, Ace 250 and whites coin master, Garrett AT propointer (garrett carrot), Lesche hand digger, 5x8 & 8.5x11 DD coils for the Pro, Camera is Ion Air Pro 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Back to the Circus grounds OD'd twice in a hour

The title is very appropriate! I only had about a hour between a haircut and paying some bills. So of course I brought along my AT pro ya never know when u might need it! Well today was a prime example to kill some time and it payed off. Went back to area that has produced all year long but I haven't been there since May. Now that a lot of leaves are falling and plants are dying there is a lot more room and new spots to hit. First signal was a 57' nickel. I was actually quite happy just to be out today so at that point I had about 30 min left. Before I knew it I had a higher mid tone and dug a well worn 45' P war nick (OD nickel). About 10 minutes later I slowly started working my way back to the truck and got another higher mid tone! I swept the leaves away and there he was a 43' P OD nickel! So all in all 2 silvers quick hunt and a damn good day with the double OD! Happy Hunting and good luck out there!

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1444161258.766242.jpg

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1444161223.782506.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 13

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice! Congratz! That pesky war nickel continues to elude my coil!

OP
OP
NEPADIGGER7

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
minelab safari,whites m6, AT Pro, Ace 250 and whites coin master, Garrett AT propointer (garrett carrot), Lesche hand digger, 5x8 & 8.5x11 DD coils for the Pro, Camera is Ion Air Pro 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks guys yeah it's funny I think I got 5 or 6 this year all P mint Mark and all the years from 42-45 and no other mints lol. But in grateful silver is...well...silver!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on the double silver score!

I would also like to thank you for bringing a smile to my wrinkled old face. Every time I see someone call it an "OD Nickel"... I just smile. I have gotten more enjoyment out of that coin than I could have ever imagined.

Ed (Upstate NY)

Aug 19, 2007
New York's Capital Region
Detector(s) used
New for 2023 Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, XP Deus. Minelab Explorers SE Pro & XS, Whites 6000 Di Pro, DFX & Beach Hunter, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had a streak of 19 straight war nickels with a P mint mark before I finally dug an S mint mark !

OP
OP
NEPADIGGER7

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Back to the Circus grounds OD'd twice in a hour

Tom i feel the same way poor old dude...he needs one bad. I think I will remember OD nickel for the rest of my life it's a good story to pass on...lol
Ed...yeah last year I found p d s but this year seems to be a P year. We are closer to the Philadelphia mint though I guess we can't expect too much ya know.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
NICE JEFFERSONS NEPA ...

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice finds for a quick hunt! Seems like I'm seeing more & more war nickels posted lately. I've found a couple in my last 2 hunts and I don't usually find many of them. Oh well, 35% silver's better than NO silver!

GL & HH

-- Jeff --

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I just can't get over how cool OD nicks are! I love every time I find them. Sweet score buddy!

Steve

OP
OP
NEPADIGGER7

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice finds for a quick hunt! Seems like I'm seeing more & more war nickels posted lately. I've found a couple in my last 2 hunts and I don't usually find many of them. Oh well, 35% silver's better than NO silver!

GL & HH

-- Jeff --

Yeah man ever since some guy was looking for one they've been popping up everywhere for me too seriously I'm at 7 this year just the P series alone!

OP
OP
NEPADIGGER7

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just can't get over how cool OD nicks are! I love every time I find them. Sweet score buddy!

Steve

Yeah Steve they are cool...but not as cool as the coins you've been on this year...but the OD nickel is a staple in the metal detecting community at only 35% percent silver they almost have just as much silver as a silver dime!

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats :occasion14: That's what I call a great OD hunt. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
NEPADIGGER7

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
NEPADIGGER7

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom i feel the same way poor old dude...he needs one bad. I think I will remember OD nickel for the rest of my life it's a good story to pass on...lol
Ed...yeah last year I found p d s but this year seems to be a P year. We are closer to the Philadelphia mint though I guess we can't expect too much ya know.
Okay guys,,, in the short time that I have been a member of TNet, I have seen you guys refer to the War Nickel as an OD Nickel. I had a feeling it
was an inside joke but I would love to hear the story behind it.
Congrats on your short but silver producing hunt.

OP
OP
NEPADIGGER7

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Okay guys,,, in the short time that I have been a member of TNet, I have seen you guys refer to the War Nickel as an OD Nickel. I had a feeling it
was an inside joke but I would love to hear the story behind it.
Congrats on your short but silver producing hunt.

Old Dude (his Screen name)... its about him...for some reason he cannot seem to find a war nickel for the life of him...so everyone started rubbing it in playfully...he went along with it and i know TylerBdad had something to do with it as well...but from on point on and now the rest of time as we know it the more active members on the site have started referring to war nickels as OD (as in Old Dude) nickels...i wasnt the originator of the saying but just from what i understand this is how it came to be...so now when ur grandkids ask when ur older you can tell them all about the OD nickel and how it is 35% silver...and how one guy named Old dude could never get one under his coil!! Chime in if the story is wrong or needs correction...or if anyone else has a thought or statement it would clear it all up!

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way COOOOOOOL!!!!! Nothing like a little silver!!!!!:laughing7:

Nepa-Will

Nov 15, 2014
Northeast, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
XP Deus + 9" Coil
XP MI-6 Pinpointer,
XP WS4 Wireless Headphones,
XP Remote
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job capturing those elusive OD Nickels. They are sneaky little buggers for some. I think us NEPA guys ( You, Myslf, Cjon, OD, Gklug) and whoever else who would like to get together at the end of the season at a local coffee shop and show off our OD Nicks. This way we can give OD some hope that one day he may find one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread