1882 IHP, 1886 dated buckle, plus something interesting?

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First chance I've had to post these from Sunday's hunt; I returned to the cornfield where I found a burned up draped bust LC and Brown Bess rifle sideplate last weekend (dressed for the first time in bright orange, as bow season started this weekend!). It was a good day!

The IHP had a clearer date of 1882 before I got greedy with the hydrogen peroxide...these "fertilized finds" require different care. Wheat cent is from 1918, and there was a strange assortment of make up compacts, bringing the total to 5 for a fairly small section of the field. May have been the middens ground for the homesite that was there, but most of these have still had powder and mirrors in them.

I really like the belt and horse/oxen plow buckles and the "Imperial Orange Gilt" button, but the "PAT. 1866" ornate, delicate buckle is a very cool find. Any body seen one before?

Also, are those more gun parts? I looked at an exploded view of the brown bess second model, and couldn't be sure. The cylindrical piece feels special to me, but perhaps I'm just being supersitious. Would really appreciate any ideas or identifications.

Thanks, hope everyone is doing well!

Attachments

• 10-4-14 all finds before.jpg
    10-4-14 all finds before.jpg
    302.7 KB · Views: 144
  • 10-4-15 most finds after w text.jpg
    10-4-15 most finds after w text.jpg
    374.2 KB · Views: 142
  • 10-4-15 - 1866.jpg
    10-4-15 - 1866.jpg
    222.8 KB · Views: 138
  • 10-4-15 - barrel.jpg
    10-4-15 - barrel.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 129
  • 10-4-15 - side view.jpg
    10-4-15 - side view.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 135
Upvote 6

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your cylindrical piece appears to be a very old maple tree tap used to collect sap for syrup making. You would drill a hole and tap the pointy end in and hang the bucket wire between the two nubs.

The brass butt plate looks to be from some sort of Kentucky long rifle musket.

Steve

Last edited:

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
That buckle is great and I'm liking that it still has the pointed double-chape design. I hope to get an ID on the buttplate too.

Steve

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CYLINDRICAL PIECE LOOKS LIKE A RAMROD GUIDE TO ME-WOULD MAKE SENSE IF YOU HAVE OTHER RIFLE PARTS

OP
OP
Z.K.

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
CYLINDRICAL PIECE LOOKS LIKE A RAMROD GUIDE TO ME-WOULD MAKE SENSE IF YOU HAVE OTHER RIFLE PARTS

Thanks Casper, I think we're getting very close! As much as I like the idea of a very early maple sugaring tap (a good idea, Goldiver, thanks) this is looking much more like a lower ramrod guide on a musket. Here is a collection of ones for the brown bess...mine is different but close. Likewise with the buttplate; many subtle variations in design making it hard for a firearms pre-novice like me to figure out, even with google. Hoping some of the gun experts can weigh in.

Thanks

Attachments

• BN6034-4.jpg
    BN6034-4.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 96

seychik

Nov 3, 2011
Denver Metro, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Garrett Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, I just found a delicate buckle like yours this summer near Fairplay, Colorado at an old ghost town mining site near a trail head for a "14er", Mt Sherman. Mine had some deteriorating thin white cotton belting attached when I uncovered it. Beautiful site and day for hunting. Even stepping on a nail that went through my boot didn't ruin the day. The buckle was my only find. Looks like you had a great hunt also.
Cindy

Attachments

• IMAG1293.jpg
    IMAG1293.jpg
    1,019.4 KB · Views: 82
OP
OP
Z.K.

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, I just found a delicate buckle like yours this summer near Fairplay, Colorado at an old ghost town mining site near a trail head for a "14er", Mt Sherman. Mine had some deteriorating thin white cotton belting attached when I uncovered it. Beautiful site and day for hunting. Even stepping on a nail that went through my boot didn't ruin the day. The buckle was my only find. Looks like you had a great hunt also.
Cindy

That was awesome, Cindy. How funny to see a match in such a totally different environment. Thanks very much for posting!

Fullstock

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From it's profile, I believe that the buttplate is from a circa 1840's Kentucky Rifle, and the other object is a cast brass rear ramrod pipe. Because its cast and not made of thin rolled brass (and it has the two lugs to be double pinned to the stock), it appears to have been from an English musket or fowler, possibly a blunderbuss, although that would be hard to confirm. . Neat finds!

Last edited:

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some really great finds,,
I would take that site as serious as a heart attack.
Congrats, Congrats, Congrats

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fantastic pile of old finds. You're kilin' it.
Looks like you have some fantastic sites in your area.

Congrats.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread