Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
After making a scouting run yesterday afternoon, I stopped for a short hunt at the site we hunted on Monday. It was a gorgeous fall-like afternoon with a nice cool breeze, perfect for digging. I basically roamed around, and if I'd find a keeper I'd slow down in that area for a while before moving on. In spite of this place being pounded over the last 3+ years, there are a surprisingly good number of targets remaining. I was able to dig a few relics here and there including buttons, several early small caliber musketballs, some with a mold seam or sprue, and a leather ornament from the 1600s. I also eyeballed a large bore pipe stem (8/64") which dates to 1620-50. And I also recovered a small but mostly intact colonial hoe. As I was heading back toward the truck, I got one of those tight, upper 50s signals that wasn't hitting too hard, and this is the signature for a cut piece of silver with my F75. I was liking my chances but had trouble locating the target once it was out of the hole. When I finally had it in my hand I could see it wasn't a cut piece, and thought I'd struck out, especially when I saw the smooth back side of whatever it was. But when I flipped it over and cleaned some of the dirt off I was a little surprised to see that it was indeed a very small Spanish cob, or micro-cob as I'm calling it ;D. Although it does count as colonial silver, it's a little embarrassing compared to the monster cob Dan dug at this site 2 days ago. Mine only weighs 0.81g which is probably a 1/10 the weight of Dan's 4 reale cob. And of course, this one doesn't count toward our little coin competition since I was hunting alone .... bummer for me. Regardless, I'm on the board for the new season and hopefully can add to the total soon.

Attachments

• 100715a.jpg
    100715a.jpg
    908.9 KB · Views: 143
  • 100715b.jpg
    100715b.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 137
  • 100715c.jpg
    100715c.jpg
    368 KB · Views: 138
  • 100715d.jpg
    100715d.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 137
  • 100715e.jpg
    100715e.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 134
  • 100715i.jpg
    100715i.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 144
  • 100715h.jpg
    100715h.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 128
  • 100715g.jpg
    100715g.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 145
  • 100715f.jpg
    100715f.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 132
Upvote 22

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
That's awesome Bill. I know Spanish silvers are pretty routine for you, but they are pretty tough up here. I've only got maybe 12 and they're all milled. Cobs a really difficult to find my way, even on my mid-1600's sites. Do you notice a difference in the sites you find you milled reales from the ones where you find your cobs? Or did they trade contemporaneously with each other.

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG man...that little fella is a cool. I remember that same feeling with the 1/4 reale that I dug the first year...took me forever to locate that thing. Onward and upward and something tells me saturday will either end in a 1-1 tie or a 2-0...silver will rise again!

ha ha

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well dang Bill you got me beat. I have one thats .85 grams and thought for sure it would be the smallest ever found. lol

A couple tic tacs.

But it was still a great feeling digging a cob.

Congrats!

Attachments

• tc1.JPG
    tc1.JPG
    23.5 KB · Views: 414
  • tc2.JPG
    tc2.JPG
    21.9 KB · Views: 397
  • tc3.JPG
    tc3.JPG
    13 KB · Views: 409

Jyverb64

Oct 30, 2012
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer Se Pro
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was just a matter of time, nice early fall hunt, congrats on the silver

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
That's awesome Bill. I know Spanish silvers are pretty routine for you, but they are pretty tough up here. I've only got maybe 12 and they're all milled. Cobs a really difficult to find my way, even on my mid-1600's sites. Do you notice a difference in the sites you find you milled reales from the ones where you find your cobs? Or did they trade contemporaneously with each other.

Jason - seems like the sites that produce the cut pistareens usually date from the early-to-mid 1700s, and cobs sometimes turn up on these sites too, but rarely whole milled coins. Cobs are probably a little more prevalent at the late 17th century sites, and hammered sixpences and shillings at the very earliest sites (dating to pre-1650). Post-1750 sites also give up an occasional cut piece, but the whole milled coins show up mostly at these later sites. I may not have explained myself very well, but hopefully you got the basics of what I was trying to get across.

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Well dang Bill you got me beat. I have one thats .85 grams and thought for sure it would be the smallest ever found. lol

A couple tic tacs.

But it was still a great feeling digging a cob.

Congrats!

Dang Gary - your cob is very unusual in that its extremely small yet quite thick. Looks like its a small chunk off a 4 or 8 reale cob, and I wonder why someone had a need to cut off that small of a piece off such a large coin. Cool find!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great little piece of silver Bill, also the leather mount is a very nice addition.

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
WTG man...that little fella is a cool. I remember that same feeling with the 1/4 reale that I dug the first year...took me forever to locate that thing. Onward and upward and something tells me saturday will either end in a 1-1 tie or a 2-0...silver will rise again!

ha ha

Well, at least you didn't poke fun at it. And good thing our competition is about the number of coins, and not their weight. If so I'd have to dig a half dozen cut pieces just to catch up. And I need to start doing that this weekend before you run away from the competition.

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great post Bill and congrats on the first colonial silver of the year. That flat dirt field must be awesome to swing on... it doesn't get much better than that! I like the hoe blade too and I bet it cleans up really nice.

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Great little piece of silver Bill, also the leather mount is a very nice addition.

I love digging these 17th century leather ornaments and other harness or bit decorations as they are very interesting artifacts, and come in all sizes, shapes and designs. They help to tell a story too as not all of the early settlers could afford horses, so these are predominately found at the larger, more prestigious sites.

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Great post Bill and congrats on the first colonial silver of the year. That flat dirt field must be awesome to swing on... it doesn't get much better than that! I like the hoe blade too and I bet it cleans up really nice.

Thanks a bunch Brad. Looks like its time to drag out the electrolysis setup. And once I get it going it'll likely be in continuous operation until next spring. But I guess that's a good thing, right? Good luck when you get back to your site. Can't wait to see what else you pull from there.

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on your first colonial silver for the year

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Jason - seems like the sites that produce the cut pistareens usually date from the early-to-mid 1700s, and cobs sometimes turn up on these sites too, but rarely whole milled coins. Cobs are probably a little more prevalent at the late 17th century sites, and hammered sixpences and shillings at the very earliest sites (dating to pre-1650). Post-1750 sites also give up an occasional cut piece, but the whole milled coins show up mostly at these later sites. I may not have explained myself very well, but hopefully you got the basics of what I was trying to get across.

Thank, Bill. That information is valuable and it fits well with the sites by me. The only cob I know of that has come from the CT. River Valley in Mass came from one of the later sites (1680's). I'm sure more have been dug that I'm not aware of. I haven't found any cut Spanish at all, only complete coins. Most are 1/2 reale and 1 reale, with a couple 2 reale milled coins. The only cut coin I have found is the Pine Tree Shilling, and that was from my 1654 site. My hammered Charles I penny came from that site as well. I suppose a cob could come from there as it was continually occupied and utilized since that time.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Well done Bill. I look forward to seeing your finds this season. Best of luck to you!

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boy I would love to walk a field like that. Great job on the cob Bill. Still have one on my bucket list. Looking forward to your season.
Thanks for the pic yesterday.
About time I got one from you..lol.

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Boy I would love to walk a field like that. Great job on the cob Bill. Still have one on my bucket list. Looking forward to your season.
Thanks for the pic yesterday.
About time I got one from you..lol.

Yeah, really George. Hope there's plenty more to come over the next 6 months.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job getting on the board with that cob Bill :thumbsup:

I hope to get on the board before the year is out :laughing7:

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice cob. My cob dates from the early 18th century as does the town I found it in

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey buddy, super excited to see you back into the old stuff. That's a cool little piece of silver. I hope you have a killer season. It's been fun to see my Tnet buddies have so much success. Go get em buddy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread