Kerosene Lamp Burner Assembly with an 1868 Patent Date!

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The rain definitely helped yesterday's hunt! I found a kerosene lamp burner assembly with an 1868 patent date! It was 8 inches down and a very big surprise. The oldest coin I've found in this spot is a wheatie from 1941!

Haven't cleaned it too much, but I did clean the wheel part enough to get the patent date. Here's a few pics:

DSC04875.JPG DSC04876.JPG DSC04877.JPG

Upvote 11

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's amazing how many are in the ground. I have rescued many. Cool piece.

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've found a few as well, but most don't have a legible patent date. I'm always looking for the signs of an old spot and this relic is a good sign. This particular field has been detected to death, but no one found this really big target. That gives me hope that they missed a few IHC's or even a LC. You never know...

Eastcoasthunter21

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2015
New York/Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DEUS ALL THE WAY
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've found a few as well, but most don't have a legible patent date. I'm always looking for the signs of an old spot and this relic is a good sign. This particular field has been detected to death, but no one found this really big target. That gives me hope that they missed a few IHC's or even a LC. You never know...

I have been hunting a spot that has been hunted for years. The only stuff left is the deep good old stuff. Thanks for clearing the trash. !! Hit it hard there are coins there. HH gl

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice one FBT, a lot of folks do not know to look at the knobs. These were important to the households of the pre-electric days and because of that I have come to appreciate them as well. Not just a piece of scrap brass as some would think. Nice job.

Fourman110

Jun 22, 2013
Cedar Rapids IA area
Detector(s) used
Manticore
AT Pro
E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really like finding old lamps like these. The patent dates really help narrow down the time frame and it definately reinforces you're in the right area. Yours is pretty complete too. Usually I don't find that skirt with them. Nice digs!

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
collectible for guys that do restorations. old brass always nice to save & sure beats clad

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice one FBT, a lot of folks do not know to look at the knobs.

Thanks! I think I got that bit of knowledge from TNet! The knob was pretty grungy, but I did see "pat" on it. I chipped at it with a wooden skewer and then immersed the knob in hot hydrogen peroxide. I finished it off with the nose oil trick and the date finally showed up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread