Antique Tape measure 18??

offtrail

Apr 28, 2014
Ohio
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found a new place to dirt fish, the owner said it was built around the 1850s. But the Roman numeral on the front of the building says MDCCCXCV11 = 1898. Now I'm not sure if the house was built in the 1850 then around 1898 it was converted into a pvblic library...just don't know for now. Well anyhow my finds are nothing special for now. But I did find part of a spring measure tape...first of it's kind. It's just the back part but it has print on it...Chestermans Patten Sheffield, is all I can make out but did find a link. It's a great feeling when your find has an ending.NMAH | Surveying & Geodesy | Tape (Chesterman) Chestermans Tape Measure 002.jpg Chestermans Tape Measure 001.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
S

stefen

There is a vast difference between a surveyors chain and a tape measure, whereby a chain (metal measuring device) can be corrected for shrinkage or expansion attributed to (air and ground) temperature for accuracy of measurements.

The only similarity of a chain and a tape is the incremental units.

If you have ever worked as a chainman on a survey crew or have taken a surveying course in college, you'd understand what i'm saying.

S

stefen

There is a vast difference between a surveyors chain and a tape measure, whereby a chain (metal measuring device) can be corrected for shrinkage or expansion attributed to (air and ground) temperature for accuracy of measurements.

Many counties in the U.S. have permanent surveyors markers set so that surveyors can calibrate their chains.

A thin metal or fabric tape is inaccurate at best...has anyone ever calibrated a tape measure...doubtful.

If you have ever worked as a chainman on a survey crew or have taken a surveying course in college, you'd understand what i'm saying.

OP
OP
offtrail

offtrail

Apr 28, 2014
Ohio
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The disk shown above is the size of a 50 cent piece, thinking this is the back plate to the tape measure.

OP
OP
offtrail

offtrail

Apr 28, 2014
Ohio
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

No never but I did post a pic finally, so you can get a better prospective of the size. Thanks for the information as it's very interesting...learn something new everyday.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Roman numerals you posted need another I to make it 1898:thumbsup:.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
that is a small measuring device...is it possible it was for clothes making ?

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find,, I have come across numerous survey markers over the years. Stefan is up on his Surveyor information.
Cool find.

OP
OP
offtrail

offtrail

Apr 28, 2014
Ohio
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for helping and love learning new things.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread