copper trail gives up a few more

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Here's the winnings from my pouch on a very rainy day heading down the copper trail.
I got a few decent finds from a pair of fields that me and Iron Patch looked at last fall, the day we wanted to detect it was also the day the farmer decided to turn it with the plough; we had to wait. The wait was worth it as we discovered a couple new to us sites, although I surmised that it had been picked over by another detectorist in the past. We beat the worst of the rain in the morning and I was able to get in a few good finds before we moved on.

I was able to bag a few buttons, mostly plain, but I did get a decent designed tombac and an earlyish military; although worn some design elements remained. I'm still researching the button to get an id nailed down, but if anyone has some info on it woud be greatly appreciated; there's a wreath on the bottom and lettering along the topside,, partial words on left ASSA_ _ _ MAIDA
(info on Maida I was able to find included the captured ship renamed Maida, and also Battle of Maida Italy 1805) not sure if either of these are relevant or not. Other elements are a crown and below what looks like an elephant maybe?
Again, I'm researching this one still.
My coins included a couple of slick green discs and a penny token from 1812, Hull Lead Works, a first for me! Also an 1816 sixpence, which put us on out second site of the day.
We dug lots which was the bonus but the keeper finds weren't as plentiful, but we are keeping our eyes open for a new site and hoping we can get in a couple more digging days before winter takes over.

Attachments

• n23b.JPG
    n23b.JPG
    25.2 KB · Views: 113
  • n23c.JPG
    n23c.JPG
    25.2 KB · Views: 109
  • 166d.JPG
    166d.JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 105
  • maida.JPG
    maida.JPG
    23.4 KB · Views: 109
  • hulllw.JPG
    hulllw.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 106
Upvote 12
OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Good to see you boys are still digging, hope you get many more dig in as well...Always good digging an old silver out...neat button and coin..

Well I'm going to have to dig a bit more to catch up with you but that's a challenge I'm up for!
Im also certain things aren't a done deal with you guys either, we just have to get the right site with the right relics under the soil. Great temps for the next week so time to get the shovel in the ground!

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Ironhorse, great hunt man! Love that sixpence and the tombac with the design. Coppers, buttons and a silver is a great day. Nice job.

Thanks OA!
It's what we do each time out, looking for all those things and more!
When a plan comes together and we get to bring it home it's what it's all about!

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There ya go!
I was looking at that button earlier but then kept looking further, go figure
Actually, the elephant part was suggested by my lady A, right before I posted it she took one look and said "it looks like an elephant standing there"

I knew it was an Elephant at a glance having seen it so many times before. Was just a question of whether it was a 74th, 76th, 78th, or something else. Great to see it's a British numbered Regt. and not a Brit. Militia. Military in one field, old silver in the other, it was well worth the effort!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread