copper trail gives up a few more

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Here's the winnings from my pouch on a very rainy day heading down the copper trail.
I got a few decent finds from a pair of fields that me and Iron Patch looked at last fall, the day we wanted to detect it was also the day the farmer decided to turn it with the plough; we had to wait. The wait was worth it as we discovered a couple new to us sites, although I surmised that it had been picked over by another detectorist in the past. We beat the worst of the rain in the morning and I was able to get in a few good finds before we moved on.

I was able to bag a few buttons, mostly plain, but I did get a decent designed tombac and an earlyish military; although worn some design elements remained. I'm still researching the button to get an id nailed down, but if anyone has some info on it woud be greatly appreciated; there's a wreath on the bottom and lettering along the topside,, partial words on left ASSA_ _ _ MAIDA
(info on Maida I was able to find included the captured ship renamed Maida, and also Battle of Maida Italy 1805) not sure if either of these are relevant or not. Other elements are a crown and below what looks like an elephant maybe?
Again, I'm researching this one still.
My coins included a couple of slick green discs and a penny token from 1812, Hull Lead Works, a first for me! Also an 1816 sixpence, which put us on out second site of the day.
We dug lots which was the bonus but the keeper finds weren't as plentiful, but we are keeping our eyes open for a new site and hoping we can get in a couple more digging days before winter takes over.

Attachments

• n23b.JPG
    n23b.JPG
    25.2 KB · Views: 112
  • n23c.JPG
    n23c.JPG
    25.2 KB · Views: 108
  • 166d.JPG
    166d.JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 104
  • maida.JPG
    maida.JPG
    23.4 KB · Views: 108
  • hulllw.JPG
    hulllw.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 105
Upvote 12

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt. I like the Hull penny and the 1816 sixpence. I've been stuck on Copperhead Road lately.

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice, Congrats!

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The elephant would have had me thinking India, so I looked up the 78th reg. sure enough they had " involvement in worldwide military activities in countries such as India, Egypt and South Africa. "

I think I see another watch winder in that pile.

The ground has a bit of a crust on it, but should be OK again in a couple of days.

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
The elephant would have had me thinking India, so I looked up the 78th reg. sure enough they had " involvement in worldwide military activities in countries such as India, Egypt and South Africa. "

Those guys had a colourful past; plenty of battles
My button doesn't have the Java in the motto, it must predate that era

I think I see another watch winder in that pile.

The ground has a bit of a crust on it, but should be OK again in a couple of days.

Those guys had a colourful past; plenty of battles
My button doesn't have the Java in the motto, it must predate that era

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
You dug a variety of really nice finds. The Sixpence alone would have made my day.

It kind of made my day too, it pointed the way to a new site!
Although I've found several of those it was the button and the copper that were the winners for me, both were "new" finds for me

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a day I would be happy with, a new variant button & a bonus silver.

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking good Ironhorse, I'd say that was a bunch of good finds. Obviously the old silver would make my day, but finding a new token is pretty sweet. I've never seen that one!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Productive hunt it seems good one on the silver, a day of double digit weather should be heading out that way not many of those anymore.:)

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Looking good Ironhorse, I'd say that was a bunch of good finds. Obviously the old silver would make my day, but finding a new token is pretty sweet. I've never seen that one!

The one thing I really like about the industrial tokens from the UK from that era is the variety and diversity; you could find a different one every day and still never run out of the thrill of seeing a new one!

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Productive hunt it seems good one on the silver, a day of double digit weather should be heading out that way not many of those anymore.:)

Yep, we have been blessed with nicer weather this time round, looks like +10 Friday, I like that!

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good to see you boys are still digging, hope you get many more dig in as well...Always good digging an old silver out...neat button and coin..

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ironhorse, great hunt man! Love that sixpence and the tombac with the design. Coppers, buttons and a silver is a great day. Nice job.

Mathurin

Dec 16, 2014
Vieille Capitale
Detector(s) used
ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread