Upvote 3

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is military. What was his Unit, branch of service?

OP
OP
P

paulrw

Nov 20, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is military. What was his Unit, branch of service?

Norman was English and lived in England all his life, but did not serve in the military as far as I know. He served during WWII as a special constable, but his brother served lived and served overseas - either Rhodesia or Australia, not sure. Norman was a freemason.

I have seen a similar ring on-line made from 18 carat gold. It was owned by Lieutenant General Sir J Monash, AIF (Austraian). The face of that ring is impressed with a lion rampant holding a compass (lion is facing the opposite way). In a scroll below is the latin motto 'MARTE ET ARTE' [By war and arts]. These words are impressed in the reverse to enable the ring to be used as a seal. The inner band of the ring is stamped with a maker's mark and the carat.

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks to be engraved with the motto 'Dum Spiro Spero' which is Latin for 'While I breath, I hope'. The Wiki page lists some towns, families, and organizations that reference the motto. Some are from England, such as a prep school in Oxfordshire. Maybe you can find a connection to him on some of those listed..... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dum_spiro_spero#Families

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-RIn7gQ72ghw/UUMfOBszjbI/AAAAAAAAD78/O3uCZvhhepY/s1600/Inglis+[small].jpg
It's a family crest similar to the 'Inglis' family one above.

The words your looking for is its a 'Demi Lion facing left holding star in right paw over motto'.

Tracking down the family associated with this crest needs expert held that may cost money, its a minefield of possibilities. (even the background colours change the outcomes, which are not even present on a incised gold ring) Your family might narrow that search, assuming it was commissioned for him & not given to him from elsewhere.

OP
OP
P

paulrw

Nov 20, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A "Thank you" goes out to Jewelerguy and Crusader - you have both been very helpful. I have the motto and the demi lion with star ... Norman's childhood is not well documented, but I do know he attended Stowe school in Buckinghamshire, and so the search continues :-)

I have found a link between Cothill preparatory school and Stowe school - Cothill students graduated to other private schools and Stowe was one of those listed. So there is a tenuous link here between the ring's motto 'Dum Spiro Spero' and Norman's early years ... he was a student at Stowe school so may well have been sent to Cothill boarding school first and picked up their motto there.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread