Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys, If you had good weather like I did today (65 degrees) I hope you got a chance to get out and swing the coil. I went and hit a cellar hole in the woods I recently found with my fiancee and I got my first Spanish real! Its pretty slick but has a readable date of 1779! wohoo :headbang:

Here it is cleaned up.
IMG_20151127_051736.jpg

Here's the dirt shot.
CAM01668.jpg

Here a shot of the cellar hole looking at the fireplace. As you can see in the background its pretty hard swinging there due to sooo many downed trees.
CAM01673.jpg

Upvote 27

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would no way be offended if this was a counterfeit coin. I realize it would then be more rare but this is not what I believe it is. The VDI rang in the low to mid 80's confirming it is silver. It is also not a 2r, it is a 1r.

Chances are it's genuine, but one point many miss is that there is counterfeit Spanish silver that are silver. There is an entire website dedicated to them, and they are very collectible coins. They are struck, not cast, like the article previously posted about the study of different dies.

OP
OP
Showtime2385

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
either way it is still a very cool find and it would be nice to see bigger pics with more details !
thanks for sharing !

and silver can't silver be pitted too depending on the soils conditions ?

like my 1880 5 cents found this week :

View attachment 1240702
View attachment 1240703

Now just imagine what that would have looked like left in the ground for another 101 years to match mine for comparison..

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Here's what a pewter counterfeit 1 reale looks like, or at least most of one. I dug this one in 3 pieces about 10 years ago. Very brittle, but the tone and texture is similar to yours.

1789 1R.jpg

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations! :notworthy:

OP
OP
Showtime2385

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's what a pewter counterfeit 1 reale looks like, or at least most of one. I dug this one in 3 pieces about 10 years ago. Very brittle, but the tone and texture is similar to yours.

View attachment 1240849

This isn't what mine looks like in natural light though is what I'm trying to say it looks like the situ picture. I'm also very familiar with the sound of pewter vs silver and I can assure you it is just a very worn silver real.

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very nice. that place needs something like a 3" coil to swing over it

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread