New detector = new finds in old hunting grounds

rastinirv

Jan 21, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last week I upgraded to a Teknetics T2 SE. I'm still getting comfortable with it but was happy to find some stuff I missed at sites I'd been to many times already.

Nothing too special, but that was my first Ike dollar (for once not a flattened can!). Found some broken silver chain, couple of Mercs, and a neat old National Brake and Electric steam gauge dial. Plus a good bit of battery money and copper scrap for the scrap bucket.

Thanks for looking!

finds.JPG

Upvote 16

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the upgrade. Looks like you will need to re-hunt all your old sites now. What detector did you used to swing?

OP
OP
rastinirv

rastinirv

Jan 21, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am surprised, the Gamma is a good detector, did it have the 11" DD or the smaller concentric coil?

Don't get me wrong, it WAS a good detector. I had the smaller concentric coil. I wanted more depth though, and the T2 seems to be a good choice. But yeah, I liked the Gamma and that's why I stayed with Teknetics.

jimzz977

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice choice I've been using aT2 for yrs, get ready gor deep coin finds

richardson

Jan 8, 2014
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus;
Nokta Makro Anfibio;
Garrett AT Pro;
Tesoro Vaquero;
Fisher F5;
Whites Eagle Spectrum - Started it all
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice finds! Congrats on the new machine

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always good to see an investment begin to pay off.

I wonder though, do you find that what you're finding now, the other machine wouldn't?

OP
OP
rastinirv

rastinirv

Jan 21, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always good to see an investment begin to pay off.

I wonder though, do you find that what you're finding now, the other machine wouldn't?

With the little experience I have with the new machine, I am definitely noticing more frequent signals on targets that are 5+ inches deep.

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt! Nice amount and variety! Silvers too! :treasurechest::thumbsup:

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the new machine. Like LD said, now you can go back over your old, well-hunted spots again.

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice !! Go back and hunt your "hunted out" sites! Congrats!!

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
To interject here, you were using a smaller concentric coil, and your new T2 comes with a DD coil. Simple explanation here based on two pictures!

Concentric Coils.jpg Double-D.jpg

You'd have had to seriously overlap your swings to cover the territory available with a DD coil.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With the little experience I have with the new machine, I am definitely noticing more frequent signals on targets that are 5+ inches deep.

Of course there are all levels of detectors. And one would hope that the more expense put into one is at the very least giving something a bit better than the cheaper ones. The old Cadillac vs a Pinto Fry-Baby sort of scenario. ;) LOL

I didn't ask to start a rhubarb just that even I recognize that are stronger/deeper/better discriminating detectors than what I use. I too am considering an "up"grade somewhere down the road. I bought what I believe to be one of the very best "ALL_ROUND" detectors to start my "new" career. I knew it was perfect for what I had planned. AND...for these last 4 years or so, it has done EXACTLY what I demanded and expected of it.

Thing is, that where I save in expense I also lose a bit in sensitivity/depth. Some of the places I hunt, I strongly suspect, have MUCH more to offer! I believe that just maybe, I'm at a limit on the depth I can search. Wishful thinking? Partly. :) But, as I expand more into my lifetime hobby, I'll be watching and listening to everyone's comments about their "new" machines. I'll also be milking the experts' minds about what to expect from ANY machine and WHY!?

For you see, unless I do find that 20 karat stone, or that 20 dollar gold piece cache, or that super, ultra rare coin, (like an 1856 Flying Eagle cent that was kept in a vacuum sealed mason jar). I won't be buying anything for a while. Now, rent/borrow/test drive etc, isn't out of the question. Just won't be buying until I can AND....I have a clear understanding of why to pick the one I go after.

All that said, one thing I have noticed in this hobby over the last 40 years is that some wonderful finds turn up when someone gets a new machine. And it's usually because with the learning curve there's some doubt and each tend to listen much, much more carefully. AND, that, will cause that effect on ANY detector, even the old one. LOL

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
OP
OP
rastinirv

rastinirv

Jan 21, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very astute, WHADIFIND!

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
very cool when new machine proves itself...that one has been a go to for quite awhile.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread