Forced to Leave a Hunt Site That Im Sure Had More Silver !!..:(

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Forced to Leave a Hunt Site That I'm Sure Had More Silver !!..:(

How frustrating it is to find a real good hunt site and and have the police show up and kick us out! My hunting partner and myself were kicked out of a city park today after about only 10 minutes worth of hunting. My very first target just after turning on my machine was a 1920-D merc dime! I just had a good feeling about this tiny little park that I tried to hunt for the first time, I just know that we left several silvers in the ground there. The ground condition at this park was not well kept, it was mostly dirt with a few patches of weeds and grass. It was impossible to do any damage to this unkempt area. Next to where we were hunting was a large kids area sand box with swings and slides and I asked the police officer if we could hunt the sand box and he said NO! Unbelievable! What's the problem? We spent the rest of the day hunting two different areas on the other side of town and managed about $7.00 in clad and a wheat cent. At lest I went home with one silver.:)

Attachments

• One Merc Dime 001.JPG
    One Merc Dime 001.JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 201
  • One Merc Dime 002.JPG
    One Merc Dime 002.JPG
    121.9 KB · Views: 221
  • One Merc Dime 001.JPG
    One Merc Dime 001.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 193
  • One Merc Dime 004.JPG
    One Merc Dime 004.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 210
  • One Merc Dime 011.JPG
    One Merc Dime 011.JPG
    121.8 KB · Views: 206
Upvote 12

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would check into the posted park rules. Some parks just have a no detecting policy, for whatever reason.

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder who has control over use of the park. If you could find out maybe they would give permission to hunt there.?

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The fun police strike again. How dare you metal detect their park. I hate it when you have to leave silver in the ground

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yeah, I think I'd have to inquire with city hall and find out for sure if the park is off limits or if a permit is required or if the cop is just uninformed and assumes that it's off limits.

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you think someone called them out? If this is place you have hunted in the past and it is not posted, I would go back at some off time in the future!

texjim

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2009
schuylkill county pa.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites xlt,vx3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would not have taken a shovel to the park. Nice job on the quick silver..

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice to see you got away without too much of a hassle. It's happens to many of us. If I remember right you were also asked to leave your 1 hr trip honey hole. I have also had a few run-ins with the men in blue. It's good that it happens less than 1% of the time (on average). Congrats on getting that merc quickly and glad to see you continued to hunt elsewhere instead of calling it a day.

Carl995

Apr 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wear a bright yellow jacket.
Have a magnetic sign made for your car saying " Gas Line Locators ".
Paint your locator yellow.

Carrol

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I wear an orange construction vest and put two large orange traffic cones, one at the front and one at the back of my truck when I'm detecting. I've only ever had a handful of people ask me what I'm doing.
If you look like you're supposed to be there doing some sort of 'survey work' then folks tend to leave you alone. :thumbsup:
Here's a pic of the one I wear... it also helps that I sell construction equipment for a living. :laughing7:

Congrats on the Merc buddy,
Dave

Attachments

• Construction Vest.jpg
    Construction Vest.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 133

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great save on the Merc!!! No you'll be wondering whats left behind until you can find out if there really is a rule in place!!!! Good luck!!

Randy Combs

Sep 16, 2013
FREDONIA KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2
Predator Raptor
Predator Phoenix
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I wear an orange construction vest and put two large orange traffic cones, one at the front and one at the back of my truck when I'm detecting. I've only ever had a handful of people ask me what I'm doing.
If you look like you're supposed to be there doing some sort of 'survey work' then folks tend to leave you alone.
Dave
This is brilliance!

CladMaster

Dec 25, 2007
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Explorer SE
I would not have taken a shovel to the park. Nice job on the quick silver..

I agree about the shovel. Whenever I hunt a city park, I just carry a digging tool I slide in my back pocket and cover the handle with my jacket (I don't hunt in warm season months due to chiggers, ticks etc.). As a rule, when I hunt city parks, I always begin at dawn and am able to hunt at least an hour before anyone else even shows up. Gl HH.

Last edited:

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take down the cop badge number and report them to the chief. Also ask the cops where are the signs forbidding using metal detectors. Ask the mayor and council members if there are any rules against using metal detectors to find coins to pay bills and feed your family.
Next time have a TV or newspaper there taking pictures. Good luck and good hunting. Same goes for searching lands between sidewalks and streets.

OP
OP
Cool Hand Fluke

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree about the shovel. Whenever I hunt a city park, I just carry a digging tool I slide in my back pocket and cover the handle with my jacket (I don't hunt in warm season months due to chiggers, ticks etc.). As a rule, when I hunt city parks, I always begin at dawn and am able to hunt at least an hour before anyone else even shows up. Gl HH.

Shovel?Are you kidding me? That black thing pointing to the hole is an arrow drawn into the pic! In my 30 years of hunting I've never used a shovel!

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you think someone called them out? If this is place you have hunted in the past and it is not posted, I would go back at some off time in the future!

Bring many treasure hunters with you. Use garden tools.

Last edited:

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess the police in your area have solved all the real crimes and have nothing better to do than mess with a person running a metal detector?

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
go back and hope he shows up again, then ask him for the statute that prohibits the activity. if he can't, then you ask him to leave.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread