Im remembering why I dont see Old Dude posting every week.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm remembering why I don't see Old Dude posting every week.

When one starts doing what we all want to do in this hobby, find OLD stuff!! I mean
like not just settling for clad every time out, like I'd been. ;)

When one really starts to do the "work" part, the research, the knocking for permissions, the limiting to
mostly places that have a fair chance of finding "old".

When one starts doing all that, as I have started doing again, the finds dwindle! The chance at quality goes
up! But, the actual finds go down. When one only finds a nail, or one penny or one bullet. They don't feel
much like posting. LOL ;)

Like, the slightly disappointing showing I'm about to present. :)

2015 (730).jpg
2015 (731).jpg
2015 (732).jpg

Dunno what the bullet is, but the shell is interesting. Not one I would expect here.

2015 (733).jpg

Don't think Blingie's liking the new style. :)

Thanks for peeking!

Upvote 13

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey, that nail is old! As soon as deer season ends here, I am gonna go find some just like it again from the site that gave me these
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1449707516.945409.jpg

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, that nail is old! As soon as deer season ends here, I am gonna go find some just like it again from the site that gave me these

Would you believe that nail wasn't cleaned? Came out just like that!

Last edited:

texjim

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2009
schuylkill county pa.
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites xlt,vx3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say your nails are period for silver and other oldies. Good luck going back

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'll take quality over quantity anyday. I do enjoy a good target rich clad hunt, but if I have a promising permission I will be just as glad pulling 19 old cents. My coin face value total has decreased from $511 last year (8 months) to a meager $332 this year (9.5 months), but I more than doubled my silvers & pulled way more old keeper coins. I am looking forward to seeing more posts from your researched hunts whadi.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's the name of the game! If you want OLD stuff it takes a lot more effort and your total finds will drop. But you have to decide, if want quantity or quality.

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
I hear ya fella. I hunt 2 to 4 times a week. I post finds twice a month. You do the math....

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I just noticed the part of a shoe you have there. Actually, I found what appeared to be the entire top of some sort of footwear. Either a boot, or high top shoe. Complete with the eyelets. I left it there by mistake. But, I'll pick it up next time.

Interesting!

By the way, anyone know what kind of bullet that would be?

Last edited:

Brother Al

Jul 23, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Three White's, one Fisher and a Minelab.....I'm beginning to wonder if I am a metal detectorist .....or a collector of metal detectors?
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds there!
Transition is not always smooth.

Maybe Blingie should get his tail busy with some research if he's not happy with the finds. :D

Getting out detecting for anything this time of year is gold, no matter what your looking for!

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
FISHIE SAYS HE CANT UNDERSTAND WHY LINCOLN WONT SPEAK TO HIM AND BLINGIE SAYS HE HAS HAD ENOUGH FOR ONE DAY ..

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya know, Whadi, if Blingie would take up the "shooting sports," he could claim more of your finds...especially that .45 caliber slug. Sub 8-)
lizard.jpg

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya know, Whadi, if Blingie would take up the "shooting sports," he could claim more of your finds...especially that .45 caliber slug. Sub 8-)

Nah, I ain't too worried about Blingie. Except that he still has the keys. :BangHead:

Is that what the bullet is, a 45? Modern?

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is that what the bullet is, a 45? Modern? It looks like a recent-times .45 ball ammo (not jacketed) mostly used for target practice. Maybe some calipers will tell the tale. I am basing my hypothesis on its size in relation to the 9mm casing, which is about the same as a .38 caliber projectile.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm remembering why I don't see Old Dude posting every week.

Don't forget...you have to actually GET OUT too to make some finds lol. Yesterday I drove about 2-2 1/2 hours in a big loop down through jeff of pa's home county and did not make a single stop. Nothing jumped out and said " Stop! ".

Last edited:

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We all like finding the old stuff and personally I would rather find one good old coin than a pocket full of clad. I've been doing well this year with my first gold coin and a bunch of other great finds. Problem is, if you want to dig the good stuff you usually have to wade through a lot of junk. Case in point, the photos below. This was from about 3 hunts.

20151114_083047.jpg 20151114_091019.jpg

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
We know what you mean WAF. Last year at this time, I had dug 466 CW relics. This year only 74 so far. HH, Q.

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't forget...you have to actually GET OUT too to make some finds lol. Yesterday I drove about 2-2 1/2 hours in a big loop down through jeff of pa's home county and did not make a single stop. Nothing jumped out and said " Stop! ".

Now ya see, that's NOT researching! That's plain dumb luck and coincidence. (I should know! ;) )

Like you say, "It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got that swing!" If you don't swing, you don't find a thing. (usually)
Believe it or not, I am ALREADY changing my mind on just how I'm going to proceed on my future hunts. Research HAS to
be part of it, but man doesn't live by research alone. Unless they just want to celebrate finding a single, crappy penny and
call that a successful hunt.

By the by, you REALLY should pay attention to those stop signs! Even in Jeff's county, they do yell STOP!!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.....I have actually found 1/2 a "crappy" corroded zinc, and celebrated, because the other finds were ALL pull tabs.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions