Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Finger Lakes Region, Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, w/6", Simplex+WHP, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Toltec, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UPDATED FROM YESTERDAY at end, Thanks all

I received a invite from a friend of a friend to to be able to detect a 1700's mill site on his property. I have been trying to get there for a couple of weeks, but work has been mad lately. The property is about 45 minutes away but I had a general idea where it was but I using my phone GPS to get there and my battery died. The charger in my truck wouldn't work and I ended of missing my turn, but found the back way in.

The site was very trashy and shallow so it was extra slow going. I pulled several iron pieces along the way and ended up with quite a pile. About one hour in I got the only decent find of the day and a first for me, and is intact and opens, with great care of coarse. Any help on the age would be great.

The other bad part of the day was when I got back home and unloading my truck I found that I didn't have my pin pointer. I don't know if I lost at the site or laid it on my truck and headed down the road. I guess that's an excuse to go back tomorrow.

metaldetectingfinds 056.JPG metaldetectingfinds 057.JPG metaldetectingfinds 058.JPG metaldetectingfinds 060.JPG metaldetectingfinds 061.JPG metaldetectingfinds 062.JPG metaldetectingfinds 063.JPG Thanks for looking and HH e1

A update. I charged my phone and went back out today to find my pin pointer. I found it inside the old mill foundation in the heavy brush. Thanks to e1 wishing well in finding it.

That went so well I did some more hunting and took a few pictures.
millhunt1.jpg millhunt2.jpg millhunt3.jpg millhunt4.jpg millhunt5.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 8

Cletus

Nov 24, 2015
Winchester Virginia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus / Garrett AT Pro / Garrett AT Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very cool find!!
hope you find your Pin pointer!!

JrMack

Feb 16, 2014
steuben co. ny
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter, x-terra 305/505/705,discovery TF 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No idea on the watch, cool find! I seem to find the inside pieces and not the case, ha ha, good luck tomorrow!!

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on pulling that sweet pocket watch, I sat my black garrett pro-pointer down when I was hunting a cellar hole in some woods. Took me 45 minutes to finds that thing. I keep a role of hot pink duct tape in the van just in case I ever use it in the woods again. Black sure is hard to find in the foliage. Good luck on finding yours.

OP
OP
Inspector

Inspector

Silver Member
Sep 8, 2014
Finger Lakes Region, Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Nox 600, w/6", Simplex+WHP, Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Toltec, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on pulling that sweet pocket watch, I sat my black garrett pro-pointer down when I was hunting a cellar hole in some woods. Took me 45 minutes to finds that thing. I keep a role of hot pink duct tape in the van just in case I ever use it in the woods again. Black sure is hard to find in the foliage. Good luck on finding yours.

I bought the hot pink just for that reason. The snap on the holster broke awhile ago but I've had no problem. I hope it's in the woods, or it's gone forever

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just know it's there waiting for you to come back. See it, believe it, and it will happen. :thumbsup:

shoague

Dec 29, 2014
Frederick, MD
Detector(s) used
Garrett Pro AT, Garrett Propointer+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great find there. I am not sure either about the watch but it doesn't reak of being huge mass production. the face says to me that it was indeed a working mans watch. The stories it could tell

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice watch recovery! I hope you locate your pin pointer.

Perhaps this may be of use:

I have attached a coil lanyard to each of my pin pointers and secure the other end to my nylon detecting belt. Even if it falls out, and it does, I know in an instant and can re-holster.

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find on the watch. Appears to be key wind, key set, hunting case. Probably manufactured in the late 1800's. If I was home and you could read the manufacturer and serial number on the back of the movement, I could tell you the exact date of manufacture.

celtic fox

Nov 8, 2015
surrey uk
Detector(s) used
ctx3030 , deus lite , garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
something different , nice find and glad you found your pointer :thumbsup:

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey Greg that was close losing your new PP...and the find of the day !
That pocket watch is cool, is it Silver ?
The mill site is beautiful,look around for the mill stones worth big bucks.
Gary

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread