I THINK I JUST DUG A GW BUTTON IN CANADA!

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IP,

We have to remember back in the day most folks were fairly poor if it was a veteran he could have still been wearing his old uniform much after the war was over....just a wild guess on my part but it's pretty hard to piece together the real story 200 years or so after the fact.

Regards + HH

Bill

Yes, but the thing is the war ended in 1783 and the GW buttons are 1789, and I don't think they let the Loyalists hang out for 6 years before giving them the boot to Canada or Britain. :) How such a thing would leave the US after 1789 who knows.... maybe the War of 1812.

TheGreatNorth

Sep 6, 2015
Southern Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATGOLD w/every coil..
GArrett ACE250
Garrett Pinpointer
CTX3030 mostly
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a great find!!! One on my bucket list! (Very lofty list). Crazy you found it up there! Banner vote from me!! HH

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm going to get the low down on the family that had the homestead before the owners of today. They have owned the property for 5 generations and the owners great grandpa was born in the log cabin further in the property. This site outdates the log cabin as the guy had no idea that a house sat on the pasture-that's what I love about this hobby finding the place and getting the unknown.

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
The only thin i can think of is it's linked to Ticonderoga..Aprrox location would be helpful in research.

In 1785, the fort's lands became the property of the state of New York. The state donated the property to Columbia and Union colleges in 1803,[SUP][71][/SUP] which sold it to William Ferris Pell in 1820.[SUP][72][/SUP] Pell first used the property as a summer retreat, but the completion of railroads and canals connecting the area to New York City brought tourists to the area,[SUP][73][/SUP] so he converted his summer house, known as The Pavilion, into a hotel to serve the tourist trade. In 1848, the Hudson River School artist Russell Smith painted Ruins of Fort Ticonderoga, depicting the condition of the fort.

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The only thin i can think of is it's linked to Ticonderoga..Aprrox location would be helpful in research.

In 1785, the fort's lands became the property of the state of New York. The state donated the property to Columbia and Union colleges in 1803,[SUP][71][/SUP] which sold it to William Ferris Pell in 1820.[SUP][72][/SUP] Pell first used the property as a summer retreat, but the completion of railroads and canals connecting the area to New York City brought tourists to the area,[SUP][73][/SUP] so he converted his summer house, known as The Pavilion, into a hotel to serve the tourist trade. In 1848, the Hudson River School artist Russell Smith painted Ruins of Fort Ticonderoga, depicting the condition of the fort.

It was found 30 miles NE of Kingston Ontario

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A big congrats to you my friend!

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
IP,

I was just checking to see if you were paying attention....lol...

I'm sure there were probably other veterans other than loyalists that headed north for various reasons to start a new life.

Let's see what pepperj finds out about the original landowners and maybe the story will come together.....regardless I guess we can both agree it belongs up top.

Regards + HH

Bill

Yes, but the thing is the war ended in 1783 and the GW buttons are 1789, and I don't think they let the Loyalists hang out for 6 years before giving them the boot to Canada or Britain. :) How such a thing would leave the US after 1789 who knows.... maybe the War of 1812.

Last edited:

Dr.Tones

Jan 7, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You sure as heck did!

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
It's a distance but not out of the question for general area..Now who from that area where you found it might have attended Columbia or Union College?

Not sure it's a start this one may ponder forever!

~Blaze~

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow big congrats ...BANNER for the first one I see posted from Canada! Funny IP and I talked about 3 finds being found in Canada not that long ago...That was one of them, along with the rattlesnake button my buddy pulled out and now just a chain cent left...ok maybe a Pine Tree Shilling too :)....

Thanks Patriot

My thoughts exactly in the top of list for finds and the thought was going to IP for digging the button, sorry ol'chap you'll have to go with another one. :)

Challenge accepted

I guess 24hrs from now will tell the story, good luck!

Ok I'm calling the chain cent for me.

Nice choice

Ditto on the find//// What is the story of the button? Who brought it to Canada so many years ago. Maybe a souvenir?

Thanks shoague

It might of been an early settler relocating to this side of the border for land grants or got married to a local and moved up here.

shoague,

Lot's of US loyalists moved to Eastern Canada after the Revolutionary war so odds are it came up with one of the veterans.

Regards + HH

Bill

Might of been Bill.

I'm still in shock Jim, but you do live in a very old area that was settled by a large number of United Empire Loyalists! :occasion14:

I expect to see this beauty up top before morning! :notworthy:

Dave

Thanks for the ID over the phone Dave it's just too bad you weren't there.

That is a great find!!! One on my bucket list! (Very lofty list). Crazy you found it up there! Banner vote from me!! HH

Thanks GN for the supporting vote! This wasn't even on mine as I never would of thought I had a chance of digging one on this side of the border.

A big congrats to you my friend!

Thanks Showtime

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It's a distance but not out of the question for general area..Now who from that area where you found it might have attended Columbia or Union College?

Not sure it's a start this one may ponder forever!

~Blaze~

Not even sure if the family originated out of the USA, my friend wrote a local historical book and she might be able to shed some light on the family's origin.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats PJ. It's a wonderful find for we Americans, but from the reactions of all you Canucks, I can tell it is special to our northern friends too.

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats!!!!!:occasion14: That is certainly a find of a lifetime!!!!!

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Incredible find! Way to go

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats PJ. It's a wonderful find for we Americans, but from the reactions of all you Canucks, I can tell it is special to our northern friends too.

Thank you Old Dude

I'm sure it's on many diggers want list, the weirs thing I never put it on mine because I figured the odds were too high to ever dig one.

OP
OP
pepperj

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats!!!!!:occasion14: That is certainly a find of a lifetime!!!!!

Thanks basque-man

Rare for up here and I'm still so stoked over digging it, might put it on the bedside table for the night to enhance the dreams.:)

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:occasion14: Rare find for Canada!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow Pep that is soooooooo damn cool. Bet that's one of the last things you ever expected to dig. Really really psyched for you my friend and I agree that the canadian GW is a BANNER find. Great job

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread