Score TWO colonial silvers in ONE trip...Colonial goodies from the field!

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I managed to work some magic and get out for a half day yesterday with good ole Bill D. to finish the site that we left off at the other day. Surprisingly we managed to get 90% of the easy stuff during that final 90 minute hunt because the targets were a bit scarce yesterday. As you slowed down, they began to reveal themselves and I managed to score 12 buttons from that site. As we spread out we realized that the site was right where we stumbled into the other day. After walking some new ground in an adjourning field (Bill dug one button right on the property line so who knows what lays in the next field) we decided to head back to a tried and true site to get off this ridiculous non-existent colonial silver slump we both are in.

This site has yielded a tremendous number of colonial silver and coppers and we had hoped to at least squeak one more out. We decided to be productive and walk a new field on the property first and after 30 minutes we realized nothing was there so off to ground zero we went. This particular spot has been a concentrated effort to find an old 1600's homestead that once stood there. It was purchased in the 1700's and a larger plantation was established so for nearly 3 years now we have spent time trying to locate the 1600's site. 90% of the finds are 1700's but a 1600's item (including some cobs) have shown up. I have believed for sometime now that we had actually located it during our first year but just did not produce much. I told Bill "I want to work right on the hedge-line where house I believe stood due to the fact that I had dug a cob there two years earlier and last season we dug several cut silver coins in the field just on the other-side of the hedge." WOULD YOU NOT BELIEVE IT THAT THE FIRST TARGET I DUG RIGHT THERE WOULD BE A NICE 1683 1 REALE COB!?!?!" Bill's face was priceless as my arms went up in our signature pose for silver. The pitiful lead was now 2-0 and with how this slump has been going it could be a low scoring game (though I suspect a flurry of finds in the spring will close it out for one of us). Back to the story, less then 6" away a nice trapezoidal buckle popped out and then shortly after a nice 1600's marked spoon dish. I believe that we now can prove this is indeed the site as I was less then 10' from where we believe the foundation stood. At this particular spot a large abundance of melted lead always pops up and I believe I solved that mystery too as not only did I dig molded lead shot (which is plentiful across the entire site) but also produced a nice little clipped spru among the lead. I believe they were pouring shot here.

We spent the remainder of the time (only about an hour) roaming through the older and more hard-hit area of the property with a button here and a button there. I will let Bill chime in, but lets just say he did not go down fighting! But then again, neither did I. With about 15 minutes left, we began to make a circle back to the truck and we decided to hit an area between sites where we had found a few things. No sooner did I stop and say "Bill, you found a cut coin during our first trip over here, perhaps there is another" then did I dug a teeny, tinny, itty-bitty cut spanish pistareen. Up to 3 for the season now and mad did I call my shots today! Then again Bill did say as he got in my truck before the hunt "I believe one of us will get silver today"

My total finds for the trip were 17 buttons, two silvers, and various other odds and ends. One button was a nice dandy cuff (1700s) and the other I had hoped would be a marked military button like the two Bill dug at the last hunt, but just a silvered flower. The rolled brass/copper sheet has leather inside of it so thinking it might be a tinkler of some sort. The big brass disk (with slots and holes) is a UFO, the brass disk below it with two knobs and the flower stamp was with it.

HH all and Merry Christmas

Dan

Attachments

• 1a.JPG
    1a.JPG
    911.1 KB · Views: 205
  • 1b.jpg
    1b.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 175
  • 1c.jpg
    1c.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 164
  • 1d.jpg
    1d.jpg
    266 KB · Views: 176
  • 1e.JPG
    1e.JPG
    507.5 KB · Views: 173
  • 1f.JPG
    1f.JPG
    459.9 KB · Views: 178
  • 1g.JPG
    1g.JPG
    565.9 KB · Views: 158
  • 1h.JPG
    1h.JPG
    509.2 KB · Views: 165
  • 1i.JPG
    1i.JPG
    831.1 KB · Views: 172
  • 1j.JPG
    1j.JPG
    470.9 KB · Views: 153
  • 1k.JPG
    1k.JPG
    569.4 KB · Views: 161
  • 1l.JPG
    1l.JPG
    637 KB · Views: 161
  • 1m.JPG
    1m.JPG
    605.7 KB · Views: 157
  • 1n.JPG
    1n.JPG
    342.7 KB · Views: 148
Upvote 26

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Very well done. Those old silvers are killer. I like that little buckle too. Congrats.

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Love the cob and nice how the date stands out too. Do you get many bale seals mixed in with all that lead you dig?

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would push the like button at least 5 times on this one, if they added em up. Just great finds, and the research and persistence over time is commendable. Very, very cool. Thanks for sharing it all!

Isaac

Oct 11, 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT All Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Excellent post Dan. Always enjoy reading them. Congrats on your silver! The best thing for us in the hobby is your gut feeling. It surely paid off there!

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Man you really killed it yesterday buddy, and cleaned my clock at the same time. I almost felt like going back to the truck and pouting ... lol! I guess with my performance I deserve to get demoted to Dan's shovel boy. At least until I finally redeemed myself a bit with one decent find toward the end (which I'll post later). Great way to end the year and a good omen for 2016.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
HGD LOOKS LIKE THE BUCKLE LATE 1600S AND MAN YOU MUSTA FOUND A HONEY HOLE WITH ALL THEM FINDS ...SWEET .............

OP
OP
HomeGuardDan

HomeGuardDan

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HGD LOOKS LIKE THE BUCKLE LATE 1600S AND MAN YOU MUSTA FOUND A HONEY HOLE WITH ALL THEM FINDS ...SWEET .............
Thanks man...we finished one up and actually went back to an older site...more honey holes for all of us in 2016!

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some awesome finds Dan!

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt Dan, that Cob is a real little gem, Congrats.
ZDD

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a Super Hunt. Your recollection of the find by find sequence and the obstacles you guys are trying to overcome is impressive. Can you get permission to take out a few rows of hedges?
It sounds as if the 1600's cabin / shelter sat right in the middle of the hedge line. (That's the feeling I get )
I think it may be time to break out a sifter. Good luck on your return trip(s).

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Winner winner chicken dinner. You stomped Bill as usual...I don't even know why he shows up [emoji6]
You weren't lying when you said tiny and that's a strange cut too. Besides the cob the spoon is my fav. Great finds as usual!

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt Dan,
Killer cob, still looking for my first.

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go Dan! Great hunts!

Brian W

Nov 9, 2007
You may have only dug 3 Spanish this year, but when 1 is a cob...that is a win....love that trapezoid buckle too...that cut silver is tiny..must have been a squeaker...Congrats on a great hunt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread