Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With record high temps for the end of December and after all the rain we've got lately, I thought I would sneak out for a quick hunt before dark. I didn't have much time but I drove out to a spot I have been wanting to try. The owner of the house told me of some Civil War history of the area and that a canonball actually went through an old school that was on the property during the War. I was granted permission and off I went quickly trying to get any kind of keeper before dark. First good signal I got was a Merc and was happy with that. I got back to it but there wasn't very many signals. I got a Wheatie next and soon after I got a nice deep 9-36 9-34 on the Etrac and was hoping for a nice old Indian. I cut my plug and pinpointed the signal down in the dark and was surprised to see that tiny silver flash out of the dirt. I knew right away that this was more than an Indain. I got enough of the coin exposed to see the 1854 date. I tried to get a good pic in the dark and got back to hunting. I couldn't stop thinking about that cool little coin and trying to come up with stories of how it got lost. I didn't stay much longer and I know I will get back there soon! I wonder if the two holes were put in it to be a button or a jewelry piece? Just adds more to the cool history behind it. HH David
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1451273230.192499.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1451273249.296700.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1451273266.024560.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 20

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice find. Ive found one myself this year but it doesn't have as much character as yours

OP
OP
Sooper Dave

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find. Ive found one myself this year but it doesn't have as much character as yours

Thanks Toasted. Yeah this one is pretty worn and beat up but always nice to find one. Was yours in good shape?

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Toasted. Yeah this one is pretty worn and beat up but always nice to find one. Was yours in good shape?
No it was pretty worn too and I managed to hit it with my digger too. How do you hit something that small? I like old holed coins. Only found one myself

OP
OP
Sooper Dave

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No it was pretty worn too and I managed to hit it with my digger too. How do you hit something that small? I like old holed coins. Only found one myself

I hear ya on hiting these tiny coins with the digger. You can dig a ton of clad and never put a scratch on one and then get a nice old coin and put a nice big shiny ding across it. Yeah the holed coins are fun to find. Seems like most of my really older coins are holed. This is the first I've dug with two holes.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Sooper, Your coin may have 2 holes in it because it could be a "whizzer toy". What they did was loop lightweight string or fishing line thru the 2 holes, take an end of string in each hand & spin it in front of them to tighten the string up. Once the string was tight, they pulled each end to make the coin spin & it made a whizzing or whistle sound. So simple, but things like that were their entertainment back then. (they didn't have I Phones to play with !).

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet seated. :occasion14: There are 8 different varieties and I have only dug 0ne in 19month.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking the same thing, wizzer toy.
Very cool find, great pix!

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a nice old seated, I've never found one that old, oldest for me is 1889, I bet yours was used as a button, or one of those noise maker things, very cool!

OP
OP
Sooper Dave

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Sooper, Your coin may have 2 holes in it because it could be a "whizzer toy". What they did was loop lightweight string or fishing line thru the 2 holes, take an end of string in each hand & spin it in front of them to tighten the string up. Once the string was tight, they pulled each end to make the coin spin & it made a whizzing or whistle sound. So simple, but things like that were their entertainment back then. (they didn't have I Phones to play with !).

You're right about that. I was thinking the same thing but was thinking it might not work as well on such a tiny coin, but I bet if you could spin it fast enough it would make a noise. That would be a way to lose it for sure. Thanks Trezurehunter!

OP
OP
Sooper Dave

Sooper Dave

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2012
USA
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a nice old seated, I've never found one that old, oldest for me is 1889, I bet yours was used as a button, or one of those noise maker things, very cool!

Thanks Cjon. Sure makes you wonder what it was used for.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jewelry - Bracelet.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratulations on the half dime! It's a very cool coin to find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread