First time with my new AT PRO

Beginner'sfindings

May 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went out digging today with my new Garrett AT Pro and found three bullets and a gold plated clip on earring.

I needs yalls help with my Garrett settings. Obviously I know I'm new to it so I won't have the machine mastered for a while, but I tried tinkering with the settings and the signals today kept bouncing around. From low to high or vice versa. Especially when I was using the 8x11 factory given head. I do have the 5x8 one as well and the signals were a little better with that one but still bouncing around. What settings do you all suggest? Any help would be greatly appreciated! ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1451444002.283979.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1451444020.977396.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1451444038.817555.jpg

Upvote 8

Murray8144

Aug 20, 2015
Essex County, NJ
Detector(s) used
eTrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
grats on the finds!!

I took alot of folks' advice and run the ATPRO in pro zero mode, no disc. Takes a while to get used to especially in trashy New Jersey, but I like to hear everything and make my own decisions fwiw

Cletus

Nov 24, 2015
Winchester Virginia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus / Garrett AT Pro / Garrett AT Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i run my ATP on pro zero with my dis. set between 27 to 30 and the sen. at max.
if i start getting mixed or jumpy signals i decrease the sensitivity down a bar or two.

looks like you are off to a great start!! Congrats

OldJerseyGirl

Jun 28, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
White's MXT pro Excaliburll AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I run mine in Pro Coin with the factory setting. Always have and have found a little bit of everything. You will get signals that jump around if it is not sure what is under the coil. I do dig these signals if there is a high tone mixed in. A good solid signal is always dug. I have had mine for about two years. Takes some getting used to. I do look at the numbers always, but usually dig by the sound mostly. We are all different. Just hunt and dig, that is how you learn.

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The only time I run anything other than pro zero with iron disc at zero is when I forgot my headphones and feel that all the chatter may be annoying nearby people/homes

OldJerseyGirl

Jun 28, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
White's MXT pro Excaliburll AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been told Pro Zero is best. But I cannot stand the constant chatter. Does it go deeper in that mode, do you think?

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pro zero, no discrim, and two windows open on sensitivity. I found allot of things like this. sometimes a real good target sounds scratchy as hell. All depending on the site, I learned to dig any repeatable signal (except iron for me)

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pro / Zero w/ 5X8 coil.
Sensitivity down 2 bars, Ground balance set at 84
51- 52 nickle
81- 83 penny / dime
85. Silver Dime / Silver ring
86 - 87 Quarters / Large Cent

These are just a few VDI numbers that will get you started
I also use the Grey Ghost Amphibian Headphones

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the beginning, you should do just what you are doing. Experiment and see what those signals are saying. Different settings will get you familiar with them and help you to better understand what the machine is saying.

One thing that I feel is missed by a few is the importance of ground balancing and the 4 main frequencies that the ATP offers. It's important to check your balancing over a metal free area if you can find one and to check it from time to time to see if the ground under you has changed.

The four main frequencies are something to check as well. It can be the difference between having overhead wire interference or not. Making it even harder to hear.

For a while, dig everything but try to guess what the target is first.

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pro zero, no discrim, and two windows open on sensitivity. I found allot of things like this. sometimes a real good target sounds scratchy as hell. All depending on the site, I learned to dig any repeatable signal (except iron for me)

That's exactly how I run my ATP. You'll miss a lot of good signals in heavy iron if you crank up the discrimination. The constant low tone doesn't bother me-it's easy to tune out-just listen for those mid & high-pitched signals.

OP
OP
B

Beginner'sfindings

May 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you to all for your help! I was using the non Pro setting with 35 as my iron discrimination.

AP552

Apr 9, 2015
Southeastern Mass
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro
AT max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I run my AT Pro on pro mode, all metals, no discrimination. It can get a little noisy in real trashy areas but you get max depth out of it and you catch a lot of small high tones that get washed out when things are notched out. Doesn't take long to get used to it. Good luck, HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread