Last hunt of 2015 results in 2 silvers and a heart stopper

Murray8144

Aug 20, 2015
Essex County, NJ
Detector(s) used
eTrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hit up the site that's been real good to me since i started detecting this fall. I've pulled more than a dozen silver coins and jewelry pieces from about a 50'x50' area. First find was this:

when I saw the edge peeking out my heart stopped. i thought i won the showcase showdown with a big fattie silver.

IMG_4409.JPG

alas....clad. still cool, first dollar coin other than the saskwatch or whatever it's called (the smaller more modern dollar)

IMG_4410.JPG

pulled two silver dimes from the site over the next hour or so:

IMG_4411.JPG

Overall, I got the Merc, the Rosie, four wheats, and the New Jersey property tax rebate for today was $3.83

IMG_4408.JPG

Upvote 8

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are doing all the right things in your detecting outings .Two silvers during one hunt is great.The Ike dollar is another good find.as not many of those have been lost.

OP
OP
Murray8144

Murray8144

Aug 20, 2015
Essex County, NJ
Detector(s) used
eTrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You are doing all the right things in your detecting outings .Two silvers during one hunt is great.The Ike dollar is another good find.as not many of those have been lost.

thanks, much appreciated to hear that. i'm pretty competitive with myself when it comes to my hobbies...fishing, md'ing, etc. always trying to figure out how to do it better and determine if i'm having success. I'm hard to please, but i'm coming to the conclusion that so far i'm doing pretty decent at md'ing. after finding my first silver in the fall (1940 walker), i set a goal of 100 wheats, 25 silvers. i got the wheats, and now have 17 silvers. if I add in my other notable finds (IHPs, KG1, nickels) i'm at my goal.

on to 2016!!!

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on pulling an Ike and those 2 silvers. Boy I bet your detector was screaming when you swung the coil over the Ike. Nice to see you acn scratch that coin off the list. You finished the 2015 season on a hot streak. :occasion14: I left this morning and drove 6 miles out of town to get permission on an 1850's house in town. No answer. Boy I was really looking forward to detecting one last old permission for the year. Since that fell through, I hit 4 sites and pulled a few relics and only $3.18 in clad.

OP
OP
Murray8144

Murray8144

Aug 20, 2015
Essex County, NJ
Detector(s) used
eTrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bet your detector was screaming when you swung the coil over the Ike.

it was very shallow, and on shallow coins the AT Pro goes ape chit. hard to tell where the coin is there always seems to be 'ghost' signals around those shallow targets. but yet, it was a slamming signal...assumed that it was a can.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
it was very shallow, and on shallow coins the AT Pro goes ape chit. hard to tell where the coin is there always seems to be 'ghost' signals around those shallow targets. but yet, it was a slamming signal...assumed that it was a can.

You have to wonder how someone can lose a coin that big. I pulled one near an old football entrance earlier this year.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Nice finds, Murman! (sorry if I offend, I have an old friend named Murray that we always called that)

Funny thing, a couple years ago I was out with a friend and he had just stopped for a little break and I was still swinging and just a few feet from him and got a stupid killer signal. I said something about the nice tone, then said "it's got to be a piece of plumbing" and he said, "don't say that". I got the target outta the ground and low and behold, my first Ike dollar. My first remark was, "amazing", since you don't know how many for sure dollar signals I have dug over the years...

Grats on the finds, sounds like a sweet little spot! We are snowed in...the first year in many that I can't get out, dangit! Can't complain though since I've had my best silver coin count in one year at 69. Not one dollar coin this year but did get a 72 half and a 63D Ben made into a button.

Thanks for sharing and may 2016 bring you (all!) a four figure find! HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread