1810 Large Cent, CW General Service button, Shoe buckle pieces...

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got out for the first time this year. It was slow going, but I managed to pull a few keepers. The best find for me today is the 1810 Classic Head Large Cent. I've dug a lot of Draped Bust and Matron Heads, but the Classic Head had eluded me. When it came out of the dirt I could tell from the dark green that it was going to be a solid coin... only problem is it was in circulation a long time before it was lost. The front is worn nearly smooth, but luckily I was able to read the complete date by getting the light just right. A bunch of shoe buckle frame pieces turned up as well. Sure would be nice to get another complete one! A nice General Service coat button also turned up. Excited to get the key though electrolysis too. It was in such good condition that I had to run it under my coil to make sure it wasn't brass. ha

IMG_20160102_180128882.jpg

IMG_20160102_180136310.jpg

IMG_20160102_161119940_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160102_175804943.jpg

This nail has a lead head on it. I havent googled it yet, but does anyone know what this was used for?

IMG_20160102_180051170.jpg

Happy Hunting everyone.

Upvote 13
OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There were other style hand forged nails besides roseheads which were pretty much the first used in colonial Va. Just not sure when they were finally phased out, but I'm pretty confident they were no longer popular by the early-to-mid 1700s.

It could be that I'm calling the wrong thing a Rose Head too! Ha. What I'm finding I have seen called "rose heads" in various images online.

Here are a few of them.. Each head clearly has a side hammered, forming a point in the middle. I hope I correctly identified these as I'd be pretty embarrassed that I would have been calling them the wrong name. Ha

IMG_20160103_212832.jpg

What do you think? Could these be another sort of hand forged nail?

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great hunt! Nice LC ! I really like that key! Great buttons too! Congrats and HH

Thanks Diggin Dude! I really like finding these old keys, especially brass ones... but I can't complain when a nice iron one turns up. Ha

That's a great hunt. That is one complex key bro. Where did it go to a friggin' bank vault?! Thimbles, buttons, mil, that's a complex site there. Keep at it and congrats on a nice 2016 start!

Thanks man! I was wondering the same thing about this key... It really looks complex. Probably to a safe thats buried somewhere at this place. Ha. You're right about it being a complex site too... so much has turned up here it really makes me wonder.

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It could be that I'm calling the wrong thing a Rose Head too! Ha. What I'm finding I have seen called "rose heads" in various images online.

Here are a few of them.. Each head clearly has a side hammered, forming a point in the middle. I hope I correctly identified these as I'd be pretty embarrassed that I would have been calling them the wrong name. Ha

View attachment 1255857

Yep, your right..
Rose heads..lol

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other

View attachment 1255857

Yep, those are definitely roseheads so you're off the hook. They also have the right look with the tapered shaft which ensured the nail would exert pressure against the wood down its entire length as its being hammered in.

Last edited:
OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep, your right..
Rose heads..lol

Yep, those are definitely roseheads so you're off the hook.

Haha Awesome! I don't have to go back and edit all my past posts now to try and save face :laughing7:

Whats interesting is now I wonder if perhaps all these nails were to the original structure at this site. It would certainly fall into your early-mid 1700's time frame. My typical hunt turns up about 2 rose heads and a hand full of square nails, so for me to find 10 rose heads in one hunt is very unusual. One plug had 4 rose heads and the iron key in it. (but I don't think that key is colonial... looks much later to me) Its in a section of the pit I have long suspected to be the older part, but haven't opened it up yet. Thanks man... its good to get these things confirmed and learn some more about them.

I'm mildly insane to care this much about nails. lol

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry for being so late to the dance, but nice digs, I learn something new on almost everyone of your threads.

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Saweet hunt!Congrats on the classic head cent.not a easy on to come by,around here anyway.

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry for being so late to the dance, but nice digs, I learn something new on almost everyone of your threads.

Thanks Loco! I also learn something new each time I post. ha Obviously tnet is an awesome site that allows us all to share some great collective knowledge.

Saweet hunt!Congrats on the classic head cent.not a easy on to come by,around here anyway.

Thanks DigIron! They are definitely not easy to come by around here either. I was very happy to see that Classic Head surface.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread