Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yesterday Basher and I took fellow T-netter Captain Caveman to the Half-dime field, and although we tried, we did not find much.
It was good company, and it was finally nice to meet you Jason. :blackbeard: Sorry we didn't find much, but there is always next time.
I haven't posted much lately. Seems all of our old permissions have dried up, and are not producing like they used to.
Today me and my hunting buddy did some riding and looking for new spots.
We settled for an older school that had been demolished with the hopes of finding some/any silver to end our 2016 drought.
It was slow at first, but I found one area near a large live oak where I started finding back to back wheat pennies, a neat sterling cub scouts ring, and a strange enameled pendant with clover-like designs inside of 2 flags. (any ideas on what this pendant might stand for??):icon_scratch:
I must have dug a dozen Wheaties within 20 minutes or so, along with the other 2 items mentioned.
I really thought I was about to dig a silver coin here, and just as quickly as it turned on, it turned back off.
20 minutes or so later I dug a shallow MS tax token, and a few more Wheaties in a different area.
We moved to another location as the school site had a lot of gravel, and we were tired of digging through gravel, and clay in order to get to the black dirt.
We probably should have stayed at the school site and ended the day there, as we found nothing else at our last destination.
When I got home I counted 15 wheat pennies from the school site. The big surprise was one of the Wheaties turned out to be a 1906 IHP after a little cleaning.
So even though I didn't get that silver coin today. I did manage to get a nice silver ring. Too bad its a size 5.

Attachments

• P1310001.JPG
    P1310001.JPG
    465.6 KB · Views: 112
  • P1310002.JPG
    P1310002.JPG
    329 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
Upvote 13

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some great items. I like that Cub Scout ring & Tax token.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Well done BP! IHC and Cub Scout ring... nice!

I got my first silver Boy Scout silver ring a couple of months ago. I was so excited. Something about them...

Congrats.

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Digs BP. I know its not what you wanted but I'd rather bring home a few surprises than empty pouch

park pirate

Gold Member
May 16, 2013
City of Rensselaer (upstate NY)
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800-Explorer SE -Sovereign-GT- -Whites 6000 Di pro SL-Specturm XLT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice vintage BSA scout ring I found one ten years ago.... ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1454343006.839143.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1454343040.254438.jpg mine also looks to be size 5..

CTwoods

Dec 9, 2015
east central Connecticut
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
a strange enameled pendant with clover-like designs inside of 2 flags. (any ideas on what this pendant might stand for??)

The emblem on the left flag is Girl Scouts. Looks to be an award from Scouting

being crossed flags, I would think it was a competition in a certain field, and the other emblem would say which contest

a quick search for Girl Scout medals should ID it

OP
OP
bonepicker

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well done BP! IHC and Cub Scout ring... nice!

I got my first silver Boy Scout silver ring a couple of months ago. I was so excited. Something about them...

Congrats.
Thanks Tom. I agree. I like it better than a rosie, but I still need some coins. Last year was great, and this year started out with a bang, but the last few weeks have been SLOOOOOOOOW.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great digs! Love the cub ring, I found one just like it a couple years ago.

OP
OP
bonepicker

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good Digs BP. I know its not what you wanted but I'd rather bring home a few surprises than empty pouch
Thanks Allen. Yeah, ive had the empty pouch syndrome lately. Id rather be hunting the 1800s sites, but they haven't been producing.
Looks like I will have to settle with 1900's, so I don't go home feeling skunked.

OP
OP
bonepicker

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice vintage BSA scout ring I found one ten years ago... mine also looks to be size 5..
Thanks PP. Mine has a large #5 on the inside, so I'm assuming its a size 5. It barely slides over the tip of my pinky finger.
It has a neat design. I might even wear it once in a while, if it fit. lol.
The hallmark inside is really worn. I'm almost certain it has to be silver. Can you make out your hallmark? If so, what does it read.?

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Tom. I agree. I like it better than a rosie, but I still need some coins. Last year was great, and this year started out with a bang, but the last few weeks have been SLOOOOOOOOW.

I didn't notice but CTwoods pointed out the pin has a "trefoil" on it... so you got boy scout and girl scout goodies, on the same hunt! I looked it up on the internet, and it's called a "Scout Bifecta"!

CTwoods

Dec 9, 2015
east central Connecticut
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
EBAY:

From 1956 to 1959, this Girl Scout FRIENDSHIP PIN was offered in the Girl Scout Catalogs - ONLY THREE YEARS! As with other painted pins from the 1950s, the background color chipped very easily. The pins that I have are in Very Good Used Condition with minor wear showing, (see below.)
Further Information:

Friendship pins were made so that traveling Girl Scouts would have something to trade with other Girl Scouts and Guides. Even though they were official GSUSA pins, they were still NOT allowed on the uniform. Iโ€™ve included a picture of the five most common friendship pins for you to see.

OP
OP
bonepicker

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

being crossed flags, I would think it was a competition in a certain field, and the other emblem would say which contest

Thanks CT woods. I had no idea. I couldn't find an exact match of my pendant. I read the ring was 60's era. Since the Pendant was found in the same spot with lots of 40's-50's Wheaties, I'm going to assume the ring and pendant could be from that era.
At this site Stock Flags and Banners the emblem on the left flag is on the Heritage Trefoil Troop Flag, and the emblem on the right flag is on the World Association of Girl Scout Guides and Girl Scouts.
So I'm going to assume the pin symbolizes the Local Troop and also the World Association of Girl Scouts.
Maybe meaning that the person wearing this would be part of a local troop, but also part of the World Association, giving the wearer a feeling of belonging to something much larger than just a local group. :icon_scratch: LOL. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. :laughing7:
Thanks again.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bonepicker

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Thanks CT. Girl Scouts Friendship Pin. That's pretty neat. never would have guessed that.

I didn't notice but CTwoods pointed out the pin has a "trefoil" on it... so you got boy scout and girl scout goodies, on the same hunt! I looked it up on the internet, and it's called a "Scout Bifecta"!
A scout Bifecta... Cool.. Learn something new every day.. I'm starting to think that school warrants another trip.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks CT. Girl Scouts Friendship Pin. That's pretty neat. never would have guessed that.

A scout Bifecta... Cool.. Learn something new every day.. I'm starting to think that school warrants another trip.

You got four good things from that place. I would hit it again 'for sure'...

park pirate

Gold Member
May 16, 2013
City of Rensselaer (upstate NY)
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800-Explorer SE -Sovereign-GT- -Whites 6000 Di pro SL-Specturm XLT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes silver for sure, mine don't have the number 5 I did some research on it this is what I found on eBay ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1454347652.789108.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1454347678.165450.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1454347702.844658.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1454347724.938675.jpg that ring is on my pinky finger so it's small but an awesome find congrats buddy...

OP
OP
bonepicker

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yes silver for sure, mine don't have the number 5 I did some research on it this is what I found on eBay. that ring is on my pinky finger so it's small but an awesome find congrats buddy...
I'm pretty sure mine is silver. It has that look and weight. It has a large 5 on the inside behind the wolfs head.
It also has the rectangular hallmark on the inside, but it is so worn that I cannot read it. I'm assuming it says sterling, but I cant say for certain.
After looking at similar ones on ebay, I think its pretty safe to say mine is sterling.
Thanks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread