First hunt yesterday, only got some junk

Nephilim3883

Greenie
Jan 6, 2016
Crestwood, KY
Detector(s) used
Ground EFX MX200E, Gold Digger Land or Sea Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Quicksilver (Backup), Cen-Tech Pinpointer (Modified, Backup)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been lurking here for a little while and finally got my first metal detector. It's a Bounty Hunter Quicksilver, I had about $90 "in store cash" and the place only had Bounty Hunter and Wildgame Innovations brands available. Also invested in a little trowel, some cut resistant gloves and the Cen Tech handheld detector that a lot of folks use as a budget pinpointer.

Went out yesterday around the grounds of my apartment building, set the detector to discriminate and locate coins only. Got excited when it started getting hits but not so much for what I dug up:

20160131_121431.jpg

These were all near a phone pole, so my best guess is trash left there by whoever installed the pole. Dr Pepper can, piece of coaxial type wire, some kind of thin metal plate thing, and glass shard from a glass bottle <- and this is why I am glad that I invested in cut resistant gloves. The hole that the soda can came out of also had a bunch of glass bottle shards in it.

I had some other hits that I could not figure out if there was something there, or just a false reading. Started digging a hole and hit rocks about an inch down, looked like a bunch of gravel and sand that was covered with dirt and grass growing on top. I couldn't figure out if the rocks were causing the false reading or what. So I moved on.

I thought it was odd that the items I found were popping up as coins according to the BH. I will probably just stop detecting this area since I don't forsee finding anything interesting. I will have to find some old farms and private properties with old homes on them and get permission to hunt there. Kentucky did not make it easy when they changed the laws on hunting state parks, and even my city parks in the county that I live in do not allow it.

Upvote 2

driftless

Sep 21, 2015
SE MN
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000, F 70
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't get discouraged, it will all come with a little more experience with the detector. The more you "experience", the better you will get and the more fun it will be. Keep digging stable signals that you can hear or see from two directions, the rest will follow! Been there not long ago and now starting with another detector so new stuff to learn again. Keep posting and you will have many people that might be able to provide tips to shorten the learning curve. I think the longer the longer curve the better you learn it........

chrisdigs

Oct 1, 2015
Middle Tennessee
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030,Garrett AT Pro,Garrett At MAX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
First of all welcome to Tnet, things will get much much better as you learn that machine and are able to recognize what to dig and not to dig, just keep at it ,everyone goes through this when they first start the hobby, good thing is for you is that you came to the right place, there are a lot of great people on this site that will be willing to answer all your questions.Your on the right track, just keep on keeping on and you will find that this is a awesome and rewarding hobby. Good Luck

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It only gets better :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
N

Nephilim3883

Greenie
Jan 6, 2016
Crestwood, KY
Detector(s) used
Ground EFX MX200E, Gold Digger Land or Sea Pinpointer, Bounty Hunter Quicksilver (Backup), Cen-Tech Pinpointer (Modified, Backup)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am definitely not giving up. I have very low expectations on what I will find, so that actually keeps me motivated for when I do end up finding something of interest, even if it's just pocket change.

My goal now is to start looking into sites that may have had a building sitting on the land at one time, like a hotel, farm house, etc. I'm a little leery on going to someone's house and asking permission to hunt there, not sure how to go about that yet. Also, working on my "plug" digging skills.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread