First hunt of 2016: Skull and a Buckle

Lexicon Devil

Oct 7, 2014
Whatcom Co, Washington
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro, Garrett Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My note worthy finds of today. No silver, no gold...5 dollars in clad though. I got a skull pendant and my first buckle (piece). It rang up pretty high on the AT Pro, all I know is that it's copper. Any ideas on the age? Going out for a long digging day tomorrow with another member, hopefully I'll get something good.

11935170_10153778231360791_2759087705186216265_o.jpg
Feels good to get back out there!

Upvote 6

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Any time a skull is found....it's cool.

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice digs,the skull is awesome!,put it on the what is it forum,might get a idea of its age.pretty neat.

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That skull ie pretty cool. Good luck sunday Im going out also 45 degrees good enough for me.

CTwoods

Dec 9, 2015
east central Connecticut
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Washington State? I suppose it still could be older than we think for that area. It looks too dainty to be a work harness one..

What does the side profile look like on the longest broken side? A shoebuckle would likely have a tiny pinhole for the center pivot pin that held the guts.

It's more likely brass, despite the readout. Copper is too soft, until you add zinc....and a certain amount of zinc, makes it brass!

OP
OP
L

Lexicon Devil

Oct 7, 2014
Whatcom Co, Washington
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro, Garrett Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Washington State? I suppose it still could be older than we think for that area. It looks too dainty to be a work harness one..

What does the side profile look like on the longest broken side? A shoebuckle would likely have a tiny pinhole for the center pivot pin that held the guts.

It's more likely brass, despite the readout. Copper is too soft, until you add zinc....and a certain amount of zinc, makes it brass!

I'll post some more pictures in the "What is it" thread. I cannot find any pivot points on the side you described. And my town has a bit of history, though not as far back as the east coast, but when Pickett was a Captain (in the 1850's) he was stationed at Fort Bellingham, then when the civil war broke out, he left and went back to the South. So there is potential here.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cool skull recovery! :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread