Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hoyt's 10¢ Cologne from the Watermelon Patch

Todd "Patch" Lipe twisted my arm for another trip to the Watermelon Patch Saturday. One of the first things I Kicked out of the ground (new digging technique) was this Hoyt's 10¢ Cologne bottle from the early 1900's. Seems it was widely used in the black community as a lucky potion for gambling. Well being Superstitious Ole Patch filled it with some Watermelon juice shook the little bottle and poured it on both of us. Well I can testify this Really worked for us Saturday as we had a Really nice dig. Coins,Buttons, and other goodies were jumping out of the WP all-day but that's another story.
Hoyt10cent.jpg IMG_20160216_081352.jpg IMG_20160216_075329949.jpg
The following is an excerpt of story about Hoyt's 10¢ Cologne I found online.
Lee Marx, was a pharmacist whose dry goods and drug store served primarily African-American customers. In addition to medicines and cosmetics, the elder Mr. Marx also stocked a small line of curios, mostly the raw makings for root work formulas such as Goofer Dust and the like. One of the products that crossed the thin line between conventional cosmetics, so-called "lucky" cosmetics and a lucky hoodoo curio was Hoyt's Cologne. It was a cheap perfume that sold for ten cents per bottle, as shown in this trade card from the 1910s. (Two other old-fashioned commercial colognes with magical reputations are Florida Water and Kananga Water.)

hoyts-cologne-bottle
LeRue told me that his first introduction to hoodoo came when he was still a child. He used to help out in the drug store after school, and as he recalled, people who got their weekly pay checks on Friday and planned to spend the evening gambling would often come into the pharmacy near closing time to buy a bottle of Hoyt's Cologne. "Sales of Hoyt's Cologne were higher on Friday than any other day of the week," he said.

"I remember one incident very well," he said. "I was about ten years old." This would have been in 1922. "I was working in the pharmacy and a very large, well-built, middle-aged coloured woman came in and she wanted a ten cent bottle of Hoyt's Cologne. So i got it for her and she put down her ten cents on the counter and then she just opened the bottle up, right there in the aisle, and she poured the entire contents on her head and all over her body and she was laughing and shaking herself and she said, 'I'm gonna get lucky tonight!' And she just left the empty bottle sitting there on the counter and went out. I'll never forget that. I was astonished. I asked my father about it and he told me that Hoyt's Cologne was thought to be lucky for gamblers."

Upvote 16

P@tch

Apr 9, 2013
mooresville,nc
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer 2, etrac, deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You sure have a vivid imagination my Friend, I'll give you that! Lol.

Ifoundit69

Saving the past one find at a time !
Dec 5, 2007
Lancaster ,VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum Xlt ,Fisher 1270, Fisher F5 ,Fisher F2, , Ctx 3030 ,Nokta Anfibio,Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_7158.JPG I got one of those ... interesting story !

OP
OP
DirtStalker

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You sure have a vivid imagination my Friend, I'll give you that! Lol.

Lol Patch don't pretend that you were not there and just sitting at home or strolling a Park or the Coin Show on Saturday. I'd have to call the newspaper if you try.
Liar Jim Martin.jpg

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice bottle,, what kind of boots were you wearing when you kicked it out of the ground? ?
Nice story, , what kind of boots were you wearing when you stepped in it?? lol

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You never know what you might find in the patch...

OP
OP
DirtStalker

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice bottle but where is the rest of the finds?

Man you wouldn't believe how encrusted most are. I've had them in the washing machine. Jackhammer Acid Bath and I'm about to let them get pictures taken.As far as the Best button Best Coins and finds with others I personally think those guys are sleeping with them. So here is a plea from those who picked the Patch Clean....Show em....Y'all know who you are:laughing7:Don't make me start calling names cause I hate to do that. Don't I Patch,DnD,TwinPicks,and VMIairpower:laughing7:

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know where you learned that kicking technique:laughing7:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would look great on my shelf Great Job

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haaaaaaaaaaaa, very cool find!

OP
OP
DirtStalker

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haaaaaaaaaaaa, very cool find!

Kinda strange find especially after reading the history. Back in the 70's I invested in a Headshop that made and sold waterbeds and among the things that we sold was an aresol spray called Money Blessing. It was purchased mainly by black customers and was very popular.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread