Incredible Baseball-related find. 1894 Champions button. Super baseball relic!!

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Greetings diggers!

I'm posting this for a hunting buddy. This button was found in Baltimore. We think it is silver, but not positive.

We can't find any other examples on the market and we think it is probably quite rare, or possibly one of a kind. As an O's fan, it's a find he will keep and cherish, but for insurance purposes, trying to get an idea of value. Here is another Baltimore champions button, a little later: Circa 1897 Baltimore Orioles Pin

Found about 8" with Garrett AT Pro, NEL Storm Coil. Excavated last Friday.

Thank you for any assistance.

HH!
Brad

Attachments

• Os1.jpeg
    Os1.jpeg
    121.6 KB · Views: 1,058
  • Os2.jpeg
    Os2.jpeg
    62.2 KB · Views: 795

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I couldn't find anything on Google, it might be quite rare!

Upvote 0

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's one neat find.....suggest your buddy send pictures to that website in the link and ask them their opinion.

Regards + HH

Bill

Upvote 0

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find! Is it a button or a pin that is missing the pin on the back? Hard to tell from photo. I think the thickness of it would help determine which also. Did it come out of the ground like that or did you all clean it real good first, ie- patina? How is the weight? Does it compare to aluminum? Sorry for the questions, just trying to get a better picture of what it actually is and what it's made of. Rare no matter what it is.

Upvote 0

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More info would help, but it looks like stamped aluminum to me. Maybe it was a promo at Camden Yards in 1994 on the 100th anniversary of that team? It looks very lightweight, which would probably make it aluminum.

But if it has decent weight to it, then it could be silver. More details, please!

Upvote 0

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, certainly one of the earliest American baseball artifacts I've ever seen! In any case it's a neat dig :hello2:

Upvote 0

ajaj

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2012
Orange, Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Minelab eTrac
Minelab Excalibur 8"
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boy, I hope that pin dates to the 1800's and not a later issue. Neat find!

aj

Upvote 0
Jun 6, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am the one that found the baltimore pin /button. That's how it came out of the ground and has not been cleaned at all.

Upvote 0

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's not to luv about baseball memorabilia from the early days .
That is an amazing recovery .

Outstanding

CMDdawg

Upvote 0

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
THE MAN KNOCKED IT CLEAN OUT THE PARK , COOL FIND ...

Upvote 0

DiggerAl

Aug 2, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greetings diggers!

I'm posting this for a hunting buddy. This button was found in Baltimore. We think it is silver, but not positive.

We can't find any other examples on the market and we think it is probably quite rare, or possibly one of a kind. As an O's fan, it's a find he will keep and cherish, but for insurance purposes, trying to get an idea of value. Here is another Baltimore champions button, a little later: Circa 1897 Baltimore Orioles Pin

Found about 8" with Garrett AT Pro, NEL Storm Coil. Excavated last Friday.

Thank you for any assistance.

HH!
Brad

I'm assuming this is the same piece that Leo found on The Hoover Boys! I left a comment on the video it is found in just now under the name Donplonex, as I just went back through tons of videos and saw it, and I became determined to try and find it. So far, i've come across this. I know this is old and you may have found this by now, but that pin showed up on antique roadshow, brought in by the great-grandson of Edward Hugh "Ned" Hanlon, who played for or managed the Orioles in 1894, i dont remember exactly which. They look exactly the same, except his has some color on it, not just straight silver, but it's possible that could have came off in the ground or something. Take a look at this link, and the video attached to it.

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/1890s-baseball-legends-memorabilia-worth-062413425.html

I saw it and made it a mission to find it somewhere haha. Let me know if this helped!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread