Stunning 1749 Farthing, 18th Century Cufflinks, Shoe Buckle, Intricate Mystery Piece

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went back to the site that I found last weekend. Started a bit slow as I spent about an hour moving dead trees and limbs. Things heated up quickly with a few coppers including a gorgeous 1749 farthing. No idea why these are so hard to find but they are. I've always wanted one nice one. This thing is incredible! I also found 4 more half penny's which makes 16 pre 1750 coins in two outings. Midway through the hunt I dug a beautifully detailed oval piece. I have no idea what it may be as I see no attachment points....but I love this thing. Then came a big bucket lister for me. I've always wanted to find a linked set of Cufflinks. Today that happened. I also dug another Cufflink with a rose design on it. After I got home I realized I had both of them. Not sure if this is considered a Tudor rose or not. I found a few shoe buckle frags and a few nice early buttons including two early pewters with the huge shanks.
I decided to hike out and try to locate David's cabin site today. I had no luck but I found a random shoe buckle frame which was a nice surprise. I also have found rear there were 2 other early cabins on this property. If they're half as productive as this one it's gonna be quite a year. These two hunts have been so fun. Thanks for looking and any info on the mystery piece and the links would be much appreciated
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Upvote 40

Brian W

Nov 9, 2007
Awesome group of finds..... That farthing is in great shape....I do believe those cuff links are tudor rose...congrats

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Incredible dude. I'm speechless on these coppers man. Just amazing. Those links are my favorite and also a big bucket list item for me too. Congratulations on getting a linked set AND for the rose links too. Hopefully someone has an idea on that cool oval piece too. I dug a few hundred lbs of iron before I got a shoulder deep flat iron... That'll look awesome after electrolysis. Awesome hunt Abe and can't wait to see what else you find there man.

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
Lowcountry, South Carolina / Richmond, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Outstanding digs as usual Abe,

Was waiting to see a follow up post to last week. That second pair of cuffs sure looks like a tutor rose to me. Given the number of coppers and pewter flat buttons you've dug, you may have stumbled across an early British camp. Way to go buddy, hit it hard and report back.

Cheers,

Jon

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Whoa Abe! Very nice finds again. Octagonal cuff links, what looks to be an oval brooch, Geo II farthings, nice early flat buttons all indicate you're on a very early site knocking on the 17th C door. Keep it coming my brother! I'm excited for you!

PaDirtDigger

Feb 2, 2015
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
White's XLT (2), Garrett Ace 250, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some nice early digs! But, i know you dig this age stuff frequently... Im sure it never gets 'old' digging that stuff!!!
Awesome bud! :thumbsup:

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your Farthing is about as good as you could ever expect to find for condition! Very nice, I agree on Tudor Rose style for the cufflinks and wow on the number of old coins you have found recently. Don

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Um... That farthing IMO is a banner.

Wd. Abe.

RelicMedic

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab pro find 35

Minelab Equinox 600

Minelab Excalibur II

Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh my!!! That's one hell of a hunt Abe!!!! The condition if that farthing is exceptional! The age of the sites you have honestly blows my mind. I don't have anything that old, but if I did, I'd set up shop and never leave!

Jyverb64

Oct 30, 2012
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer Se Pro
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You definitely have a special site there and terrific soil conditions to help those amazing finds, congrats on the cufflinks

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I had a pouch full of finds that resembled those I would be worried it might spontaneously combust. Excellent research definitely paid off with a hot spot. I hope you're able to locate the other cabin sites. Keep hammering that area. :violent1:

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a real special site bud. I've never pulled that many coins from one site in just two hunts and I don't have that many coins in my collection that are in that condition....you're making me feel insignificant, lol. Congrats on the cufflinks too. All you left is a NE shilling and you can retire!

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your always finding the goods. Great finds! [emoji106]

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I knew you'd have another good hunt there.
Sweet farthing, and yes much tougher than the half penny counterpart, by at least 25 to one, Steve PA and I had this same conversation.
Funny so many dated the same makes me think they were lost as new or very near new.
Congrats also on the linked pair, I never managed that one yet, and only maybe 5 or 6 singles.
Hard to imagine the other sites being as rich as this one when you locate them.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow Abe, the soil is SO NICE to the coppers coming out of that site. The farthing is beautiful. Congrats on the cufflinks :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I knew you'd have another good hunt there.
Sweet farthing, and yes much tougher than the half penny counterpart, by at least 25 to one, Steve PA and I had this same conversation.
Funny so many dated the same makes me think they were lost as new or very near new.
Congrats also on the linked pair, I never managed that one yet, and only maybe 5 or 6 singles.
Hard to imagine the other sites being as rich as this one when you locate them.
Rick I recently read that a massive amount of 1749 and 50 Brit coppers were shipped to Boston at some point. So those will show up often in New England sites

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread