Possible Diamond Stud Earring?

boater96

Sep 22, 2015
North Shore, MA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all, I found this little earring yesterday on a Boston north shore beach yesterday. It was so small that my pinpointer (Garrett Pro Pointer AT) was having some difficulty regularly finding it in the sand. It was intermittent like a small piece of foil. Imagine my surprise when a diamond popped out of the sand! What is the best way to tell if it's real or just glass or cubic zirconia? Thanks!
FullSizeRender.jpg

Garrett AT Pro

Upvote 2

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fascinating, isn't it! How such a tiny thing can even be found!

Best way to tell is to just ask a jeweler. But, a couple of simple tests is whether the mounting is open in the back. They don't usually close it for a diamond. Another is to see if you can read type through it, set it on a printed something and see if you can read anything through .

Still! WTG!

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Tiger Shark loves tiny bits of jewelry so I find at least a dozen stud earrings every summer. Haven't found a diamond stud yet, but you never know. I would start with the setting. If it's silver or gold it should be marked. If it's silver or even 10k, it's highly unlikely it is a diamond. Even with 14k gold, the chances are it better it is a Cz. Best thing to do though is to have a jeweler test the stone or buy your own tester.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread