🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
100_8359.jpg

Capped dime!! Who'da thunk it? :P
100_8358.jpg

Got up this morning and checked out the weather. Cloudy and not too hot...expecting rain in a couple of hours, so thought I'd go hunt a little at the button site. The way I went today goes right past the old Dr's house.
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,70198.msg513473/topicseen.html#msg513473
I slowed down and took a peek down the drive and saw that the hay had been cut. Decided that I would spend my morning there instead. Now I usually don't go there alone, but it looked so inviting that I couldn't resist. The grass around the house was chest high so I drove on up to the second barn where the hay had been cut. Started hunting and within 10 minutes got a pretty good signal. Three inches. :P Right now, around here, three inches seems more like 10 inches with the ground being so dry but my signal was a good one, so I dug it. Sure glad I did! ;D After seeing it in the bottom of the hole, I knew that I had found silver, but didn't have a clue as to what it was. One side was pretty clean but the other had a blob of dirt stuck to it, so I just put it in my pocket. After a couple more holes a rain shower rolled in so I ran for the car. Sitting there I decided to put the coin on top of the car and let the rain clean it up a bit. I was all fidigy, about to die to know what it was. (My eye sight ain't what it use to be.) :-\ So I start going through compartments looking for anything that might help me see and I find an old pair of reading glasses that were my Dads! ;) The rain stopped after about 10 minutes and I grabbed the coin up and OH my Gosh! A what?! Here?! NOOOOOOOO.... in Alabama?! I'm still stunned! Ended up staying another hour or so and found a flat button at four inches and a couple of regular pennies. Still can't believe I found that coin! My oldest silver yet. I couldn't wait to get home and share it with my friends!!! :)
I didn't have the camera with me today. :-\ Sat it right by the door so's not to forget it and walked right on by. :P BUT..here's a pic from this past January...

Drsplace.jpg

Nana :)

Upvote 0

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nana that's great! What a find. When I see coins like that I always say "If you could only talk!" Who knows how it got there, who dropped it and when, and how long it sat there in that spot..it was your destiny to find it.

Congrats on your good fortune!

Nat

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Woohooo, super find Nana, 1827, excellent. Gee, now if it was only the 1827 over 5, than we could be jumping through hoops with you, but just to get an old American silver is one of the biggest thrills you can get in this wonderful hobby. Congratulations!!!

Don

Admiral de Salee

Apr 2, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's V3i w. D2 or Super12
White's DFX w. D2 or 5.3
Sunray DX-1, Lesche Digger
That is an incredible find!! The design of that dime's reverse is just beautiful (and I'll bet you found it so). Congratulations!

You might want to go back...

Merf

Silver Member
Jan 7, 2007
Northern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab vanquish, Quest x10 pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW Nana, :o :o :o, That is one fantastic find. A great hunt and great pics.

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York
Outstanding Find Nana! Or should I say Incredible Find! Or Maybe Fabulous. They all fit! Congratulations On A Really Neat Find! That's The Beauty Of MDing - When The Find Blows Away Your Expectations! I'm Really Happy For You! By The Way, You Also Skipped Over The Seated Liberty And Your Capped Is In Great Condition!

weasel606

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2007
West Virginia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70 ,Bounty Hunter Landstar, Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WOW nana :o thats one great coin, and i bet your on a really big md high right now ! ;)

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
WOW!!! I am in total awe of your beautiful find. Thank goodness you didn't damage it chopping it out of the rock hard dirt. I am sooooo happy for you Nana. Thank you for sharing this inspirational find. There is hope for us to still find these really old treasures. Congratulations my friend!!!!

Silver smiles!
Scooby ;D

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am just amazed at that dime. It also gives me hope that I may find one here in Tennessee. You have really outdone yourself with that one. 8) Many congrats to you for your great find. There could be more there too!...Have a good one

DANGLANGLEY

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
Super find. I think you should put it back in the ground until you find a barber. Just kidding. Again super find. can't Say it enough.
Dman

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SLII and the E series DFX and the Minelab ExplorerII
Okay! This post gave me goosebumps!

Congratulations Nana!

Ridley

Bertman

Apr 13, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE, Minelab E-Trac
WTG!!!!! That is one sweet :P coin Nana... Congrats on the find... You should be able to find others as well seings how Alabama is 8 yrs older than this cool find...

HH Robert

Prober

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's M6, Bullseye II, Ace250
Nana, that is one beautiful coin! All the praise is probably getting boring huh? Keep up the good digging! ;D

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
Wow! Not only did you skip barber, but you skipped seated too!

That gives me hope! I've been hoping to find a seated here in south Georgia. Seeing a capped come from 'Bama is nice! Looks like you've got a nice spot.

I know what you mean about the hard ground. I used a grub hoe to dig my last target :D. It's gotten to where you just about have to "chip" the dirt out of the hole instead of digging it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread