🥇 BANNER AMAZINGLY rare variety 1652 Oak Tree Threepence - Find of a lifetime!!!

Dirtwisher

Nov 1, 2013
MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 9" and 11", AT Pro, Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow. I've been preparing to write this since I found the coin, but I couldn't even concentrate enough to get my thoughts down, let anyone perform my professional or family duties. Let me set this up a little first though. During the course of the past few years, it has become an obsession for me to ponder the infinitesimal probability of finding of a MA tree coin on every property, park, beach, foundation or town square I drive by. When I saw Abe's incredible pine tree shilling a while back, the possibility seemed somehow more real. Here was a guy in what used to be part of Massachusetts, a guy who puts so much effort into his research and traveling to remote locations in search of old dirt, and he found one. Maybe, just maybe, I could find one too. But usually after five more hours in a field with nothing but a couple shotgun headstamps and some melted lead to show for it, the hope seemed to dim just a little more each day. You can tell this is going to be a long post, can't you...
Then came yesterday afternoon - my second day on a new permission, a smallish field that had an original late 17th/early 18th century home nearby. I had seen it last year, but only got up the nerve to ask permission last week when I was getting very discouraged at my usual spots. I hunted three hours the first day and man, what a letdown. I lost track of how many mangled aluminum cans and pulltabs I unearthed. No shoe buckles, no harmonica reeds, no buttons, not even many square nails, and basically no hope. Then I decided to move to a different smaller field and got a toasted large cent in the path that connected the two fields. I was a little more upbeat then, but could manage nothing else but some more garbage.
I came back yesterday though, because the large cent had stoked the fire just enough. I couldn't write this place off after one day, could I? Well, yesterday was pretty much a carbon copy of the first day. Found a bunch of modern junk, then popped what looks like a toasted KGII from a grassy slope adjacent to a stone wall on the high side of the field. Hmm.... Two coppers in 5 hours... but then two more hours of nothing. I realized what time it was and I had to go home and start making dinner for the kids, so I figured I'd swing by the spot I nabbed the copper and head from there to the car. Yup, the ol' trip to the car story! Sure enough, 20 feet into the corn stalks, I had what rang up at 69 on the Deus. Pretty much figured it was a pulltab, and I was pretty beat from two days of yardwork, but you know how you dig it all when you're on the way to the car? I took one shovelful and it was not in the hole. The pinpointer said it was in the dirt, but I couldn't find it. Then I had something round and SMALL in my palm, so I figured it was part of a beavertail. I picked it up and wiped off some dirt off one edge. The dirt was fairly hard to remove, but I thought I saw and N and an E. I thought, could it be? NO way, don't get your hopes up, so I turn it over and give it a soft, spit-laden wipe. Do I see branches? I DO! Wait, these are NOT pine tree branches... What the heck do the other branches on the MA silver coins look like? I couldn't remember because I thought if I ever found a tree coin, it would be the most common variety of pine tree. By this point I'm shaking, I'm down on one knee, resting the coin on my thigh, trying not to die of excitement. I let out a couple loud "YES! I finally did it!" yells, then got back to absorbing the enormity of the moment. I had to go grocery shopping, do all the dishes and that kind of stuff, so I had to wait until tonight to make sure I had my thoughts together. Here's the proof! Sorry the pics are screenshots - hard to remove GPS info on my laptop...
oaktreefield5.png oaktreefield4.png oaktreefield9.png oaktreefield12.png Oaktree1.jpg treecoin3.png
Now comes the BEST part - I got home with the coin and tried to figure out what exactly I had found, but I couldn't find any examples anywhere on any website. I thought that might be good, that it might be rare or super rare, but maybe that was my imagination running away with me again. Then my wife sends me to the grocery story so the kids will have something to eat at school. So there I am, last night in the cereal aisle at Stop and Shop, texting Abe pictures of my coin and asking if he can help with an ID and variety. Like the amazing guy he is, he says he will look it up today for me. I never expected what he would text me though. He said he found it in his book, that it is an NOE 26, 4-A.2 Oak Tree, and there are likely BETWEEN 5-8 OF THESE KNOWN!!! Are you kidding me!!!
Oaktreeinfo.jpg I just found one of the rarest freaking coins in the United States!!! I ran downstairs and told my wife to get off the treadmill and tell me who her daddy is. Then I called Abe, who allowed me to go on like a schoolgirl about the find (he encouraged it, actually) and he expressed the most sincere happiness for my find. What a guy. Here's to you, buddy. Sorry for the super long post, friends. I never thought I'd get this opportunity.
Best of luck to everyone. I can't express enough thanks to everyone on T-net for reading, and to whatever force miraculously led my coil over this coin!

Jeff

Attachments

• oaktreefield1.png
    oaktreefield1.png
    294.6 KB · Views: 837
Upvote 129

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Mike! I know; I'm shooting for W and E with this baby. I don't even know how to reach those guys. If anyone has any contact info let me know. I don't subscribe (yet)...

I will get you in touch with the editor. I wrote a story about finding mine so I would always have it in print. They were great to work with. Pretty sure you have some writing ability lol

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"When you find a coin and there's less than 10 known that puts you in a category that will 99.999999999999999% of us will never be in. "

Having found a couple of coins classed as 'unique to date', I know that feeling. When the British Museum offer you money for a Roman coin that is the only known example in the UK, & GPSed (1 other with a collector in the US, un-provenanced), you really start to appreciate contributing to our known history. Any monetary offer to me is then automatically refused, how can money replace it? It can't & is short lived in my experience of money.
To me finding a truly unique coin is the pinnacle of any detecting career, other than the obvious 1M hoard.

Rhode Hog

Jun 22, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Great find Jeff i know how much you put into finding a tree coin ,look forward to running into you again so we can swap stories of our tree finds

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the epic category for sure! That will be the source of a great high forever because you will live that memory many many many times.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice story & great rare silver, although 'known' is at time of publication. As a yardstick, in our recording system, only 1 in 10 get recorded, so that gives you a fair view of how many might be out there.

I disagree, because just because a coin is rare, it doesn't mean it is substancial, and that is why in your experience in the UK a large number may not be recorded. But this con, I HIGHLY doubt there is anywhere near 10 known for every one recorded, unless you are talking in the ground. :) In the UK there's such a wide variety of coins from so many periods that just about every day someone would be finding something that is extremely rare, or a new variety, it's not like that in North America especially when you're talking Colonials which have been recorded and kept track of for many years. There's no doubt there has to be some pretty awesome coins hidden within collections, but rare American coins sell at a premium, and they do because most times the buyers know it could be a long while before they get a chance at another, and this is based on experience. So I do think what you say could be true over there, but not really for this coin. At under or around 10 known (?) for a valuable sought after American coin it is a true rarity and there's nothing that can taint it. It's very possible a few more have shown up if it was an older study, but would not be many.

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super banner...
Well done and congrats.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
That was one of the best posts I've ever read and, of course, one of the best finds I've ever seen posted. Not sure why this hasn't made banner yet, but I'll be putting my vote in to help make sure it gets there. And you're not going to have to do much work to put together your magazine article as your post pretty much tells your story, and in a very entertaining fashion. Many congrats on your find of a lifetime.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol. I know this feeling as well. It's nice to have something in your pouch at the end of a hunt that you're anxious to post up for people to see. I'll confess to even going as far as to consider an apt post title while I'm still hunting....Lol . It's part of the enjoyment when you share your find with others who have a like mindset. It's funny. My hunting buddy used to refer to me posting my finds as "nerding it up" but I think he's gradually starting to enjoy the feeling of sharing a good find with others on TNET. I know I do..... And now... as for this phenomenal find and extremely entertaining post.... Major congratulations!! and my banner vote is definitely going in now.

The rush is awesome, and can't beat the incredible feeling you have the rest of the hunt.... if you are able to keep digging. I already had a good pouch full when my best find last year came, so it was pretty sweet knowing how good a post I had to make. Having a coin like that to throw on... yeah that's something to look forward to bigtime.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dirtwisher

Dirtwisher

Nov 1, 2013
MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 9" and 11", AT Pro, Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It is truly gratifying and humbling to see the kinds of heartfelt responses that are being made by some the people I respect so much, and who have given so much to this hobby/addiction. I couldn't thank you enough if I tried.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The rush is awesome, and can't beat the incredible feeling you have the rest of the hunt.... if you are able to keep digging. I already had a good pouch full when my best find last year came, so it was pretty sweet knowing how good a post I had to make. Having a coin like that to throw on... yeah that's something to look forward to bigtime.

"the thrill of the hunt"... AKA "TAP"...
Which stands for "The Adrenaline Push"..
Whenever you make a find like this the adrenalin begins...
You want to keep detecting ... in case there is "more"...
But you want to quit to revel in your find.

You will find yourself "bouncing" between the two...
:)
Heck of a feeling.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I disagree, because just because a coin is rare, it doesn't mean it is substancial, and that is why in your experience in the UK a large number may not be recorded. But this con, I HIGHLY doubt there is anywhere near 10 known for every one recorded, unless you are talking in the ground. :) In the UK there's such a wide variety of coins from so many periods that just about every day someone would be finding something that is extremely rare, or a new variety, it's not like that in North America especially when you're talking Colonials which have been recorded and kept track of for many years. There's no doubt there has to be some pretty awesome coins hidden within collections, but rare American coins sell at a premium, and they do because most times the buyers know it could be a long while before they get a chance at another, and this is based on experience. So I do think what you say could be true over there, but not really for this coin. At under or around 10 known (?) for a valuable sought after American coin it is a true rarity and there's nothing that can taint it. It's very possible a few more have shown up if it was an older study, but would not be many.

wasn't saying it isn't rare in US terms, only that the known is at the time of publication & this one along with others are not included in that bracket. However, I accept the argument that maybe more of your guys track them, so I will revise my assumption to 1 in 3. So, probably less than 30 out there in hidden collections etc. I know this happens because they like to keep rare coins under the radar to keep the market price high - right? Private, unseen sales happen ALL the time.

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratz on a once in a lifetime banner find!

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow congrats on a fantastic coin and cool story. Go back as soon as you can!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Absolutely a fantastic story and a beautiful rare coin, Congratualtions! :notworthy:

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fantastic find and really great post :thumbsup: It was exciting just reading your story. I think the kids would have been hungry, because I would have never made it to Stop and Shop after a find like that :laughing7: As I'm writing this, I refreshed page 1 in a different tab and I see its on the banner! Well deserved and a huge congratulations.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on a superb find! I can just imagine your excitement while you were being a good dad and doing your fatherly duties wanting to research just exactly what you had in your digging pouch. The excitement shows on your face,well done.

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's incredible!!!!!!!! I wish the person that dropped it could feel all the excitement also!!!!!! What a find!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

TheGreatNorth

Sep 6, 2015
Southern Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATGOLD w/every coil..
GArrett ACE250
Garrett Pinpointer
CTX3030 mostly
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find!! I love the story too. It's everyone's dream to find One of those, and you crossed it off the list! Banner!!

Patriot 1776

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Dec 9, 2014
MA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX and V3i, Garrett AT Pro , ACE 350, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow. I've been preparing to write this since I found the coin, but I couldn't even concentrate enough to get my thoughts down, let anyone perform my professional or family duties. Let me set this up a little first though. During the course of the past few years, it has become an obsession for me to ponder the infinitesimal probability of finding of a MA tree coin on every property, park, beach, foundation or town square I drive by. When I saw Abe's incredible pine tree shilling a while back, the possibility seemed somehow more real. Here was a guy in what used to be part of Massachusetts, a guy who puts so much effort into his research and traveling to remote locations in search of old dirt, and he found one. Maybe, just maybe, I could find one too. But usually after five more hours in a field with nothing but a couple shotgun headstamps and some melted lead to show for it, the hope seemed to dim just a little more each day. You can tell this is going to be a long post, can't you...
Then came yesterday afternoon - my second day on a new permission, a smallish field that had an original late 17th/early 18th century home nearby. I had seen it last year, but only got up the nerve to ask permission last week when I was getting very discouraged at my usual spots. I hunted three hours the first day and man, what a letdown. I lost track of how many mangled aluminum cans and pulltabs I unearthed. No shoe buckles, no harmonica reeds, no buttons, not even many square nails, and basically no hope. Then I decided to move to a different smaller field and got a toasted large cent in the path that connected the two fields. I was a little more upbeat then, but could manage nothing else but some more garbage.
I came back yesterday though, because the large cent had stoked the fire just enough. I couldn't write this place off after one day, could I? Well, yesterday was pretty much a carbon copy of the first day. Found a bunch of modern junk, then popped what looks like a toasted KGII from a grassy slope adjacent to a stone wall on the high side of the field. Hmm.... Two coppers in 5 hours... but then two more hours of nothing. I realized what time it was and I had to go home and start making dinner for the kids, so I figured I'd swing by the spot I nabbed the copper and head from there to the car. Yup, the ol' trip to the car story! Sure enough, 20 feet into the corn stalks, I had what rang up at 69 on the Deus. Pretty much figured it was a pulltab, and I was pretty beat from two days of yardwork, but you know how you dig it all when you're on the way to the car? I took one shovelful and it was not in the hole. The pinpointer said it was in the dirt, but I couldn't find it. Then I had something round and SMALL in my palm, so I figured it was part of a beavertail. I picked it up and wiped off some dirt off one edge. The dirt was fairly hard to remove, but I thought I saw and N and an E. I thought, could it be? NO way, don't get your hopes up, so I turn it over and give it a soft, spit-laden wipe. Do I see branches? I DO! Wait, these are NOT pine tree branches... What the heck do the other branches on the MA silver coins look like? I couldn't remember because I thought if I ever found a tree coin, it would be the most common variety of pine tree. By this point I'm shaking, I'm down on one knee, resting the coin on my thigh, trying not to die of excitement. I let out a couple loud "YES! I finally did it!" yells, then got back to absorbing the enormity of the moment. I had to go grocery shopping, do all the dishes and that kind of stuff, so I had to wait until tonight to make sure I had my thoughts together. Here's the proof! Sorry the pics are screenshots - hard to remove GPS info on my laptop...
View attachment 1301943 View attachment 1301944 View attachment 1301945 View attachment 1301946 View attachment 1301947 View attachment 1301949
Now comes the BEST part - I got home with the coin and tried to figure out what exactly I had found, but I couldn't find any examples anywhere on any website. I thought that might be good, that it might be rare or super rare, but maybe that was my imagination running away with me again. Then my wife sends me to the grocery story so the kids will have something to eat at school. So there I am, last night in the cereal aisle at Stop and Shop, texting Abe pictures of my coin and asking if he can help with an ID and variety. Like the amazing guy he is, he says he will look it up today for me. I never expected what he would text me though. He said he found it in his book, that it is an NOE 26, 4-A.2 Oak Tree, and there are likely BETWEEN 5-8 OF THESE KNOWN!!! Are you kidding me!!!
View attachment 1301948 I just found one of the rarest freaking coins in the United States!!! I ran downstairs and told my wife to get off the treadmill and tell me who her daddy is. Then I called Abe, who allowed me to go on like a schoolgirl about the find (he encouraged it, actually) and he expressed the most sincere happiness for my find. What a guy. Here's to you, buddy. Sorry for the super long post, friends. I never thought I'd get this opportunity.
Best of luck to everyone. I can't express enough thanks to everyone on T-net for reading, and to whatever force miraculously led my coil over this coin!

Jeff

Jeff , Congratulations
What a fined, I am still looking for my first tree coin.
Keep swinging and any thing possible
Again super great find
dennis

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"the thrill of the hunt"... AKA "TAP"...
Which stands for "The Adrenaline Push"..
Whenever you make a find like this the adrenalin begins...
You want to keep detecting ... in case there is "more"...
But you want to quit to revel in your find.

You will find yourself "bouncing" between the two...
:)
Heck of a feeling.

That is exactly right... and I think most do keep going, but are more than happy when the day is done and they get to go home and let it all sink in... and in my case make a pot of coffee, and post, and jump around the forums. The finds that make you feel that way are few and far between so you have to enjoy every little bit!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread