Vintage hand-stamped Native American Indian Concho Belt - Silver or Nickle?

vscience

Jun 23, 2012
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today I fount this Vintage hand-made sterling silver hand-stamped Native American concho belt. It has a attractive hammered silver design with 15 distinctly different conchos. There is a copper attachment loop and a leather backing under the conchos. I'm not sure what to make of it. I did not find a silver stamp so I assume it is a silver or nickle mix. Your feedback is welcome.
dscn0452.jpg dscn0462.jpg dscn0456.jpg

Upvote 6

dirtwizard

Feb 19, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari/Fisher F2/Minelab go-find 40/Garrett pro point
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
where did you find it?

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Native American artists often made stamped sterling silver but never marked it as sterling. A quick crude and non-destructive test to determine if it's silver or not - spit on it a little and rub it with aluminum foil. If it smells like rotten eggs it's silver. The smell is produced from the silver tarnish Silver Sulfide reacting with the aluminum and turning into aluminum sulfide. After the test just rinse it off and you'll be good. This is how I test all my unknown silver and it works very reliably and is way better than acid testing which can ruin your silver artifact forever. Good luck :thumbsup:

OP
OP
V

vscience

Jun 23, 2012
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone-- I'm happy to announce that this belt passed the stink test. I spit, rubbed and it DOES smell like rotten eggs. (Never heard of that method until now. So thanks for that tip!)
The belt has a heavy, solid "feel" to it and the patina is telling. It looks lit it got plenty of wear and it's still in superb condition.
I've been finding several very unique Native American Indian items at recycling center lately.
I hate to rub it in but this belt cost: 50-cents. :headbang:

Last edited:

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a beautiful score, congrats. Allow me to play the devil's advocate and say it may be Mexican or Central American, rather than Native American. I am not seeing any of the symbols or imagery that we usually see on their silver items. But then again, I am but a relic-loving layman wandering in the vast wasteland of the Treasurenet forum...Happy Hunting, Sub 8-)

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone-- I'm happy to announce that this belt passed the stink test. I spit, rubbed and it DOES smell like rotten eggs. (Never heard of that method until now. So thanks for that tip!)
The belt has a heavy, solid "feel" to it and the patina is telling. It looks lit it got plenty of wear and it's still in superb condition.
I've been finding several very unique Native American Indian items at recycling center lately.
I hate to rub it in but this belt cost: 50-cents. :headbang:
SUPER SCORE! !

OP
OP
V

vscience

Jun 23, 2012
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really, really appreciate the information. I've learned a lot here.
I just enjoy finding unusual items that catch my eye. The history stories from vintage items are fascinating and joyful.

OP
OP
V

vscience

Jun 23, 2012
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just for fun, I weighed the buckle and conchos.
Buckle: 1.5 oz
15 Conchos: 0.4 oz each = 6 oz
Total: 7.5 oz in silver.
:icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread